Excess Skin

Options
I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to best exercise, skin care etc to do before losing weight to minimize the amount of excess skin I will have afterwards. I have been obese for so many years I know it will be a problem but OHIP will not cover the removal (unless absolutely necessary because of rashes, infection etc.)

Sorry if this topic already exists, I am new to the site and looked but did not see one. Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    It sucks that OHIP won't cover it unless it causes medical problems but it's what we get in our lovely Ontario health care system.

Work on strength training (lift heavy), eat well (clean foods), moisturize and take the weight off slowly so your skin can adjust a little better.

Sometimes it takes a while for the skin to shrink back. It also has to do with your genetics regarding how much excess skin you will have.. and it depends on how long you were overweight, by how much and what you do to take the weight off.

Go slow, lift weights and you should be good. You may have some excess skin still but weight training will help with that.
  • winterdreams75
    Options
    Thank you so much! I will also be very new to strength training as well. Luckily I have a son who likes to work out so he has equipment and can show me what to do.

I figure I would rather be healthy with flapping skin then stay overweight with tight skin. I have about 150 excess pounds that I've had for about 10 years at least. Always been on the heavier side but went on some meds that helped me increase what was already there. Should of, would of, could have changed my eating/exercise at that time and didn't but it's better late than never.
  • Flyer615
    Flyer615 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It sucks that OHIP won't cover it unless it causes medical problems but it's what we get in our lovely Ontario health care system.

Work on strength training (lift heavy), eat well (clean foods), moisturize and take the weight off slowly so your skin can adjust a little better.

Sometimes it takes a while for the skin to shrink back. It also has to do with your genetics regarding how much excess skin you will have.. and it depends on how long you were overweight, by how much and what you do to take the weight off.

Go slow, lift weights and you should be good. You may have some excess skin still but weight training will help with that.

All this ^^ plus: Drink lots of water. I'm 49 and was afraid of "weight-loss-wrinkle-face" as I started to lose weight. I have a little excess skin (though, I think most of it is flab that I'm still in the process of losing). It's not nearly as bad as I expected. I drink 10-14 glasses per day. This will help keep your body hydrated. You're young enough that your skin is a little more elastic than mine. You may not have as many issues as you think. Also (and I hesitate to say this because some "expert" will come along and shoot me down), try to cut back on carbonated beverages. I have read (don't remember where - assume it could be an old wive's tale) that carbonation is not particularly good for the skin. All I can say about that is that it works for me.

Endeavor to persevere.
  • Ifican
    Ifican Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    So probably not what you want to hear but its the only way i know to be. Our skin is very resilient and elastic in our younger years and becomes less and less so the older we get. Depending on your age and the amount of stress from the weight (think stretch marks here) you will definitely have some excess skin to what extent you wont know until you get there but take pride in it as a daily reminder of your accomplishments. A very good friend of mine recently lost 100 and yes in the mirror you can see it but clothed cant tell. Stay on track, positive and all will work itself out.
  • winterdreams75
    Options
    I am 37 (in 2 weeks) so I'm hoping that will help. Thank you for the great advice, have to admit drinking lots of water has always been a problem for me but I will add def add to one of the first things I need to begin working on. I'm trying to so it in steps so I don't overwhelm myself.

Flyer615 I have also heard that carbonated beverages can stretch the stomach (actual-not the skin around it). Guess there are a few reasons I should get those out of my diet

Ifican-I like blunt, I'm the same so thank you for that.