Reached my 50 lb goal! Didn't diet, changed my lifestyle!

Options
Today I stepped on the scale and had lost 50.3 lbs since 1/3/2012. I Just wanted to shout it from the rooftops.

When I started this journey I was a size 20W. The reason I started was not only that I was disgusted at myself in the mirror, but I have had arthritis since I was 14 years old and every joint in my body hurt all the time. I figured if I didn't do something I would be a cripple.

I am now a size 12 and am much more active. I still hate to exercise but know the benefit of it.

What I decided to do, for the first time in my life, was to change my life habits as it related to diet and exercise. I DID NOT DIET and I'm firm on that. I started exercising but not like a fiend, I started eating healthy and alot less preservatives. I still ate the things I loved, but in moderation and I planned then. If I was going to eat something that would make my day over 1200 cals, I made sure I hit the gym as well. When I went out to eat (and we enjoy it) I would go onto their website and pre-plan before I went or ask them for their nutritional information.

My husband was also a great supporter as we both learned how to cook differently and he was supportive. He was skeptical in the beginning because I had failed so many times before, so he is double proud of me for this life changing event.

MFP has been so instrumental. It has taught me the values in the foods I eat and those I now choose not to eat. I have logged every day. Some days were not so pretty but I logged. There have been some very special people I have met here as well. Pushing me when I needed it. What a great MFP family.

So, when I started I thought 50 lbs would be impossible and if I achieved it I would be where I want to be. Well, I will be adding another 25 lbs to my goal. However, I think I'll enjoy the ticker for a day or two showing my goal.

The moral of my story....don't diet, change your life and your experience will be life changing. If I can do it at 51 years old....anyone can!

Replies

• thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you, you have found the key to weight loss sucess.
  • zmzmzm19
    zmzmzm19 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Big Hugs to you, you sure deserve it!! I agree with what you've said, it definitely is a lifestyle change........I am so happy for you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ginaquinn2
    ginaquinn2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Laurie wow congratulations lady. These past 4 months I've watched you with respect and watched your dedication. Your results give me hope. :flowerforyou: ~~Gina
  • chunkytum
    chunkytum Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    amazing- good job!
  • plogan77
    plogan77 Posts: 12
    Options
    Wonderful JOB...Great Story!!!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    great job ..... you've done wonderfully .... thanks for sharing !
  • fitfunk
    fitfunk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What a sensible, livable approach. Kudos! That 50 on the ticker is definitely worth savoring.
  • suz827
    suz827 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You have done very well!

I understand the concept of "diet" being a temporary way of eating and a "lifestyle change" being a permanent way of eating. It sounds from your post that you were limiting yourself to 1200 calories per day. Is that something you plan on maintaining permanently? Or do you plan on counting calories permanently? I applaud you being able to eat out frequently and maintain a 1200 calorie day!
  • TeTeAngel
    TeTeAngel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Great job, congrats!
  • lauriejayne813
    lauriejayne813 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the question. I don't plan on 1200 calories for the rest of my life because when I get to a weight I like then I will go into maintenance mode. I imagine that will be around 1400-1500 per day. I don't plan on counting the calories for the rest of my life, that is why this is a lifestyle change and not a diet. I'm learning while I'm loosing and plan on continuing to develop a life plan. What I have realized, much to my displeasure, is that I will always need to exercise to maintain a healthy lifestyle. But that is pretty much a must for everyone as they age. If you keep moving you keep keep moving. So, I hope that answers it. But I do plan on being on MFP for quite a while longer. Good luck with your life plan.
  • gmack49767
    gmack49767 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congrats, I hope to have a success story of my own one day!
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    Congrats way to go
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 50 lbs loss!
  • kittybear86
    kittybear86 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Congratulations.:smile: You are absolutely right,dieting is not a long term solution.A lifestyle change is better,and so is everything in moderation.Way to go,you are an inspiration.:happy:
  • kitchensync
    kitchensync Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the ticker!!!! You're awesome!
  • meglet175
    meglet175 Posts: 98
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Well done! You have accomplished what I have recently set out to do. I'm 46 and started MFP about a month ago as a snug size 16 with the goal of slow, steady, sensible weight loss by simply making healthy choices each day. I've watched my husband maintain a healthy weight for 20 years with that approach, but I've been the yo-yo queen with an all-or-nothing approach. No more! I am 8 pounds down in what I hope to be a 25 to 30 pound journey, and you give me confidence that I can get there! You are an inspiration! Thanks for sharing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!