Sparkling Water?

kolie518
kolie518 Posts: 23 Member
I bought some of those 0 calorie, caffeine free flavored sparkling waters. Not sure if they count as water intake. What do you think?

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    I count mine as water...I'm currently drinking a natural lime flavored sparkling water that has 0 anything on the nutrition label and the only ingredients are "carbonated water, natural lime flavor." So I count it as water.
  • allycat54
    allycat54 Posts: 67 Member
    I was wondering the same thing, though I would think that they do count as water.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    weight watchers says diet soda and coffee and tea count as water intake now :P so you be the judge
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    It IS water, so surely it counts as water? I don't think it being carbonated or not would have anything to do with it.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Do you think your body can't use the water because it's got flavoring?
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    I count mine as water..but I don't drink it all the time just when I want something different or when my stomach is upset.
  • I count it as water so long as its the natural flavoring kind, not with tons of artifical additives.
    The kind by Lacroix is my favorite.
  • weight watchers says diet soda and coffee and tea count as water intake now :P so you be the judge

That seems like a bad idea from them since coffee dehydrates you and diet soda is sooo far away from water! Ha! Crazy.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    weight watchers says diet soda and coffee and tea count as water intake now :P so you be the judge

That seems like a bad idea from them since coffee dehydrates you and diet soda is sooo far away from water! Ha! Crazy.

You would have to drink A LOT of coffee/tea in order for it to cause a dehydration effect.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    I go by the Mayo Clinic's recommendations. They say you should count all beverages towards an approximate 9 glasses of LIQUID a day. Not necessarily stressing water (though of course it's good for you to have some straight up water)

The thing about carbonated water beverages is that if you get say, Kroger brand version, the water was chemically created. it doesn't come from a spring or natural reservoir. While technically it is molecularly H2O, it is infused with CO2 to create the bubbles as well, so you're getting a lot of chemical compounds that were "forced" together to make that drink.

That being said, there are alternatives where they are sparkling spring water. I would look for those. Organic sodas are similarly based in spring/natural source waters, and still have the bubbles.

Fair warning, sparkling water should be had in moderation. It is very acidic and can cause you tummy upset and heart burn if you drink it too much.
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    I drink them as well. But I list them with whatever meal/snack I am having.
    I DO NOT list them as water.