Many Guys in here?

Options
Hey all, Im 26, Male, 5''11 and overweight. According to the BMI I have been since I was old enough to walk.

I have been on and off 'Diets' since I was 16, and found that a very good weight for me is around 16 stone, .

So, here I am again, at 22 stone its the start of a very long road which I hope to reach the end of.

I joined a gym this week and am focusing on swimming and :gulp, spinning.... Having never done a spin class before I am somewhat nervous about tonight and am not keen on the idea of making myself look stupid.

Anyway, this is me, just saying hi,

L

Replies

• ChappyEight
    ChappyEight Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    There's plenty of us lurking around. Good luck on reaching your goal!

Hopefully the spinning goes well.
  • lyonsfool03
    Options
    This site sees no discrimination by sex, only gives motivation to all... Good luck on your journey.... With self discipline anddedication anything is possible...
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of guys here, including me. Many don't post in the message boards though.
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    There's more women than men on here but that shouldn't be a problem. Everyone here is super supportive as long as you do your part. I hope you reach your goals.
    HC
  • ChappyEight
    ChappyEight Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of guys here, including me. Many don't post in the message boards though.

Exactly.
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Hey all, Im 26, Male, 5''11 and overweight. According to the BMI I have been since I was old enough to walk.

I have been on and off 'Diets' since I was 16, and found that a very good weight for me is around 16 stone, .

So, here I am again, at 22 stone its the start of a very long road which I hope to reach the end of.

I joined a gym this week and am focusing on swimming and :gulp, spinning.... Having never done a spin class before I am somewhat nervous about tonight and am not keen on the idea of making myself look stupid.

Anyway, this is me, just saying hi,

L

Good for you. You sound very much like my boyfriend who is 31 now, but has struggled with weight his whole life. In short, he became extremly committed in his early 20's, lost 130lbs and even placed a few years ago in a body building comp.

Feel free to message me, as your background sounds very similar. He's not on MFP but I'd be happy to relay any tips back to you and answer any questions you may have. I don't know how overweight you are, but he is your height. I'd be interested to know if you have similar builds.

PS - SPIINNING IS TOUGH!!!!! Even very fit people find it challenging, so keep that in mind!! Whatever you do, don't try and keep up with the instructor LOL. I was 2 beats away from a heart attack in doing so.

Theresa
  • alvintucker
    alvintucker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi All! Just introducing my self. My goal is to lose at least lb.
  • btaylor1184
    Options
    Good luck to ya. Im a 27 year old same since i came out I have been overweight. Working hard on p90x just cut my daily down to 1500- no carb or very little!
  • rnunl
    rnunl Posts: 15
    Options

Exactly.

+1
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of us here.

One suggestion I would make. Start strength training now as well. When you lose weight doing cardio only a large % of the loss will be lean muscle. It is much easier to retain the muscle you have by strength training and eating enough protein now, then it will be to re-build the lost muscle later.
  • mmychal
    mmychal Posts: 69
    Options
    Welcome. I've been in your same boat for about 15 years longer than you have. I was always the fat kid in school up through my college years. I think it's great that you've joined a gym. if you can find a partner to go with you, that would also greatly increase your chances of success. Try someone at work or a close friend if possible. You don't have to do the same workout as them - it's just nice to have a buddy that keeps you honest about going regularly.

I tried the spinning thing and it was pretty difficult. I eventually gave up on it because I found it fairly boring and the bike seat jammed up into my business rather uncomfortably.

Hopefully you'll like it better because it's an excellent cardiovascular workout. if it doesn't work out for you - don't worry. There are lots of good cardio options such that you should be able to find something you enjoy. Good luck and hang in there. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • back_to_18
    back_to_18 Posts: 28
    Options
    Good for you L!

This is a great site with perhaps more females than males but everyone is very friendly and helpful.

Welcome to the site feel free to friend me if you like.

I'm male, 46, from the UK with about 34Kg to loose.
  • blaqjaq
    blaqjaq Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Dude don't be nervous about the class. I can see how it's intimidating going into an organized exercise group but honestly, no one cares how you look. After you start you'll find that you don't care what anyone thinks anyway (because you'll be sucking too much wind to focus on anything else haha).
  • themichaelf
    Options
    good luck man... i really hope you reach your goal!
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yep, plenty of guys on MFP.

I second the post on starting weight training now and getting enough protein in your diet. If you can keep your muscle mass while losing the fat, you metabolism won't slow down near as much as you lose weight. I lifted heavy all through my weight loss, and think it made a difference in the results. General rule of thumb for protein is 1.2-1.5 grams per pound of lean mass.

Make changes to your life style and eating habits you can stick with for ever and you will get there, and be able to maintain it.

As far as the spin class, who cares what other people think you look like in the spin class. You are there trying to better yourself, which is more than most people do. Go for it!

Good Luck Man!
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I was in your boat... just takes motivation and consistency. You can do it if you want it :)
  • andyd1958
    andyd1958 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi you can add me as a friend if you like
    I'm 5'10" and I was almost 21 stone but now I'm just under 15 stone thanks to this app and the support of the people on here

Andy
  • lmgc1985
    lmgc1985 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks for all your replys guys, surprised there are so many on here.... I went to the spin class...... WHAT THE HELL .............. I am no longer able to walk... saying that, I really think its the best work out ive ever done (cardio wise)

Feel free to add me on here, not sure what adding people as friends is but it sounds friendly :)

L
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replys guys, surprised there are so many on here.... I went to the spin class...... WHAT THE HELL .............. I am no longer able to walk... saying that, I really think its the best work out ive ever done (cardio wise)

Feel free to add me on here, not sure what adding people as friends is but it sounds friendly :)

L

Good job on doing the workout. If you click on people's avatar or picture then you go to their profile. To the right there's a green button that says "add friend" or something like that. Take care. Remember to change the stock image with your own. It will help you connect with others :)
  • lmgc1985
    lmgc1985 Posts: 29
    Options
    picture added, cheers fella.