jazz up your boring oatmeal!

Options
Up until about a year ago, I HATED oatmeal. It was mushy, flavorless, and sometimes made me almost want to gag while eating it. Even an unhealthy coating of sugar and gobs of honey couldn't make it taste right. Then one day, I decided that I would try to cut up an apple into small pieces and cook it along with the oatmeal. It worked great! The apples got so sweet when heated up that I barely noticed the flavor of the oatmeal! I added a couple packets of Splenda, and it tasted great. It's my new go to quick breakfast thats totally healthy!

Recipie
1/2 cup dry quick oats
1 cup of water
one small apple
2 packets of splenda (optional)

cut up the apple into small pieces and place them into a microwave safe bowl. Add 1/2 cup dry oats and about 1 cup of water (amount may vary with brand of oatmeal). Microwave for 2-2 and a half mins, add the sweetner and your set!

Replies

• katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    We have it every morning. I put in dried cherries, raisons, and cranberries that come from Costco. I add cinnimon (sp?) and then sugar free syrup. I cook the fruit first in boiling water, then add spice, then barely cook the oatmeal. Yum. kc
  • DrJerryFowler
    Options
    Very good.

I like everything in your recipe except the splenda.

Put in 2 packets of Stevia instead. It is much better for you, and will also taste VERY good.

You can buy 1000 packets of Stevia on Amazon or IHerb.

2 packets in herbal tea is also really good.

Hope this helps.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    1 tsp smooth peanut butterr and tsp of blackstrap molases
  • saraketner
    Options
    I cook oatmeal with raisins almost every morning for my kids. It is really tasty without adding all the sugar and junk of the "instant packs" marketed for kids. I'll have to try it with an apple for a change of pace!! Thanks for the tip.
  • Jenspo
    Jenspo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I put a splash of coffee and sprinkle of cinnamon-makes it richer :) But I normally don't drink coffee!
  • shera426
    shera426 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I will have to try the apple, sounds tasty!
    I usually stick with 2tbs raisans, 1/2 tbs peanut butter & a dash of cinnamon + stevia! I also sometimes put in small spoon full of applebutter so I'm sure the real apple chunks will be delicious!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    i LOVE oatmeal. I eat it probably 4 mornings a week. I cook it really long with less water though because mushy it is so gross. I like it really thick. I do lite syrup (about 2 tbls) and walnuts (about 6 1/2s) and sometimes a little brown sugar and or cinnamon. It's really filling and only between 250-400 cals depending on what I put it in (mainly how many nuts I put in it)

My son gets oatmeal too but with raisins, bannana, sweet potatoes, nuts, yogurt, peanut butter, or sometimes whatever was left over from dinner! It's a very versatile food and he is 2 so he still will eat anything! (even beans in oatmeal!)

It's an easy food to sneak some protein powder into if you have any as well. I had some sample packs and it worked good. I know that the fresh fruit to make a smoothy can be costly!