I've hit the weight loss plateau...

Options
Hi, so I'm in need of some advice. I'm 18, 5'7, and 137 pounds.

Around this time last year, I went on a low-carb diet and lost about 25-30 pounds...great! Since then, I've only been able to maintain my weight. I've been trying for at least 5 or 6 months now to lose maybe another 5-10 pounds to reach my UGW, but I can't seem to lose anything anymore!

I've been following MFP's guidelines to a T. Netting 1200 calories a day, all my numbers as far as sugars, carbs, etc. are just right below the recommendations. Before MFP, i was on Livestrong's MyPlate and had around the same limits. I eat fairly healthy. I stay away from sugary foods, besides a few roaring waters capri suns, i don't drink anything besides black tea and water, and my meals are spread out throughout the day.

I'm also very active. I run 1-2 miles and walk another 2 miles every day, as well as work in a restaurant where I'm always on my feet and constantly walking around the restaurant for a good 5 hours. Every now and then I'll do some strengthening exercises at home.

With all this exercise and eating healthy (besides my rare cheats every now and then) I can't seem to lose these last 5-10 pounds?? I'd really love to get rid of my love-handles and fatty inner thighs before my first semester of college comes around in the fall.. but it feels impossible. Help?

Replies

• hulkklogan
    hulkklogan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The dread weight loss plateau. I'm there myself.

Typical plateau-busters are a 24 hour fast, or since you're on a low carb diet, carb load for 2 days and then cut the carbs again. The only true, proven plateau buster is good old elbow grease and time.
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    LOGZ!!!

<3
  • aspoerr
    aspoerr Posts: 13
    Options
    The dread weight loss plateau. I'm there myself.

Typical plateau-busters are a 24 hour fast, or since you're on a low carb diet, carb load for 2 days and then cut the carbs again. The only true, proven plateau buster is good old elbow grease and time.

So maybe a temporary change-up in diet will put things back on track?

Just a quick correction- I'm no longer on the low-carb diet. I just eat healthy, exercise loads and stay away from the junky foods.

Let's hope we can get past these dreadful plateaus :)
  • aspoerr
    Options
    LOGZ!!!

<3

Oops! It's public now. :)
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with the same thing right now. I do about all I can stand and have time to do in respect to diet and working out. I've been doing pretty well for the past 2 months, losing 1-2lbs a week and now nothing. I only have 1,200 cal's a day and workout 5x a week; I don't have more time or energy for more than that!!! Ugh!!!

...has the 24 hour fast worked for anyone? How often? Weekly/bi-weekly? I'm 5'5'', 135 and am in a 1200-1300 cal range. Anyone fit that catagory?
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Since you say you eat throughout the day and that's not working anymore, try not eating through out the day. Keep eating the same amounts but try the IF (intermittent fasting) model - you can find lots about it here or online.

Or, how about doing everything the same except add one day of fasting a week? That cuts 1/7th of your weekly calories right off the top. A single day fast is abrupt enough that your body won't go into starvation mode.
  • aspoerr
    Options
    Since you say you eat throughout the day and that's not working anymore, try not eating through out the day. Keep eating the same amounts but try the IF (intermittent fasting) model - you can find lots about it here or online.

Or, how about doing everything the same except add one day of fasting a week? That cuts 1/7th of your weekly calories right off the top. A single day fast is abrupt enough that your body won't go into starvation mode.

Thanks! I'll definitely look into those. Have you done either one? If so, how has it worked out for you?
  • hulkklogan
    hulkklogan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    LOGZ!!!

<3

zomg <3
    Oops! It's public now. :)

Nothing private about us lolol
  • 4myhealth77
    4myhealth77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I FINALLY broke mine today. My trainer has been kicking my butt this week. She told me that doing the same exercises and eating the same foods are what got me into an early plateau. She had me change up my foods for two week and change my exercises up. She also said to have a "cheat meal" once a week and I was a stubborn hard head about that because I try to eat really clean and that just messes me up. But it worked! So try eating more than the calorie intake you are doing now to get your metabolism revved up a little. Change up your exercise routine.
  • Terree83
    Terree83 Posts: 93
    Options
    I was having the exactly same problem. I had lost about 12lbs, and could not get anymore off.

I've found in the past, that drastically changing a workout will do it. I know I tend to get caught in a rut and do the same type of workout all the time--head to the gym, lift, and then do about 45 min of cardio. Your body gets accustomed to it, so you plateau.

I brought in workouts like Insanity and joined a Crossfit gym. The workouts are so different (not to mention brutal and exhausting!) that your body can't help but change. Since then, I've lost another 4lbs and it's only been about 2 weeks.

Hope that helps! :)
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Changing up your general exercise routine can help challenge your body in different ways. If you haven't, you could try HIIT style cardio training using your favorite form of cardio (I do mine on the elliptical).

You could also try juggling your macros around a bit... if you've stalled, you can try the low carb thing again. Eating at a surplus occasionally can actually help you lose weight faster. I wouldn't call it a "cheat", but I have "refeed" days once every week or two - I eat at or slightly over maintenance and drastically increase my carb intake above normal (I'm eating 2000 to lose 1 lb/week, my TDEE is roughly 2500, on a refeed I'll eat up to 2700... and those extra 700 are generally almost entirely carbs). Your weight will go up by a couple of pounds for a day or two, and then will drop.

Btw - fasting can work, but in general is a TERRIBLE idea, especially if you're working out so extensively. You need to fuel your body to work out... if you don't fuel it, it makes it's own fuel out of your muscle tissue.

Edit: Not sure if you're eating 1200 calories, or NETTING 1200 calories - big difference. If you're only eating 1200 calories and burning a lot, you might not be eating enough to lose, contrary to some of the other advice in the thread.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I finally got over mine after half a year.
    Took renewing my gym membership, moving to my parents house and going on a "part-time" low carb diet.
    But since then I've lost like 5-8 pounds woot.
  • fitfunnygal
    Options
    Last time I did this weight loss thing and I hit a plateau I was told by a friend to change all my viggies over to broccoli, so I gave it a try and I lost 5 pounds that week. I had a lot of stomach issues (farting). LOL but it worked and I started loosing again.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Thanks! I'll definitely look into those. Have you done either one? If so, how has it worked out for you?

I fast 2 days a week (a fast being < 500 calories) But I carry a lot more fat than you. You can only try and see what works for you.
  • aspoerr
    Options
    Changing up your general exercise routine can help challenge your body in different ways. If you haven't, you could try HIIT style cardio training using your favorite form of cardio (I do mine on the elliptical).

You could also try juggling your macros around a bit... if you've stalled, you can try the low carb thing again. Eating at a surplus occasionally can actually help you lose weight faster. I wouldn't call it a "cheat", but I have "refeed" days once every week or two - I eat at or slightly over maintenance and drastically increase my carb intake above normal (I'm eating 2000 to lose 1 lb/week, my TDEE is roughly 2500, on a refeed I'll eat up to 2700... and those extra 700 are generally almost entirely carbs). Your weight will go up by a couple of pounds for a day or two, and then will drop.

Btw - fasting can work, but in general is a TERRIBLE idea, especially if you're working out so extensively. You need to fuel your body to work out... if you don't fuel it, it makes it's own fuel out of your muscle tissue.

Edit: Not sure if you're eating 1200 calories, or NETTING 1200 calories - big difference. If you're only eating 1200 calories and burning a lot, you might not be eating enough to lose, contrary to some of the other advice in the thread.

What kinds of extra foods do you eat on your "refeed" days?

And, oops, meant to put that I net about 1200 calories, maybe 100-200 calories less due to so much exercise.

Thanks for the tips!
  • Vonwarr
    Options
    What kinds of extra foods do you eat on your "refeed" days?

And, oops, meant to put that I net about 1200 calories, maybe 100-200 calories less due to so much exercise.

Thanks for the tips!

Any carbs will do, but obviously healthier carbs are better - brown rice, sweet potato, etc. I tend to pick those days to have pasta, or if I'm doing a good strength workout I'll indulge in starchy carbs afterwards... potatoes are one of my biggest weak spots in dieting... so tasty!

The reason it's not a "Cheat" to me, is that it has a clearly defined target, and purpose... it's just a higher target than normal.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You are currently at a healthy BMI - 21. Not to say that you can't lose any more weight as the healthy range goes down to 18, but it is much more difficult to lose weight when you are at a healthy BMI. Maybe re-focus on strength training? Muscle takes up less room than fat so you could weigh the same (or slightly more) and be smaller.
  • Vonwarr
    Options
    You are currently at a healthy BMI - 21. Not to say that you can't lose any more weight as the healthy range goes down to 18, but it is much more difficult to lose weight when you are at a healthy BMI. Maybe re-focus on strength training? Muscle takes up less room than fat so you could weigh the same (or slightly more) and be smaller.

^ This is also great advice. :)

Adding strength training to a workout regimen definitely will help tone. Muscle is smaller than fat, but a lot less jiggly! And if you're worried about bulking with strength training, I wouldn't! It takes a LOT of effort to gain muscle, and even then bulk doesn't happen over night.
  • ZoobityBop
    ZoobityBop Posts: 22
    Options
    I've been there before, at a seemingly endless plateau where nothing seems to make a difference. I know it's frustrating, believe me. The trick is to change up your routine occasionally and to do it the right way. I'd recommend the Diet Solution Program, since it helps take care of plateaus and gives you ideas on how to have variety and see continuously effective results in your fitness goals. You'll learn it's really not that hard to lose weight, you just have to know what to do. Read more about it here:http://fantasticfitnessreviews.com/the-diet-solution-program-review/

Good luck
  • amanda3284
    Options
    I think I am there myself. It has taken 2 and a half months to lose 12 lbs. my goal was 30. What can I do to overcome it.