bariatric surgery

Options
Well if you look at my photos you will see I was only a few pounds from my goal weight
now here I am back to 201 lbs. :'( I went in a few months ago to find out about bariatric surgery and I'm going for it. I know I can loose weight but keeping it off is my problem. I know a lot of people look at this as the easy way out but I'm at my wits end. I can't believe I've gotten so unhealthy again. This is my jump start into healthier eating and. I wont physically be able to overeat or to eat chocolate which is my weakness. I hope I can find support here and not criticism. Medications put the weight on me to begin with and then quit smoking brought it back so now I'm smoking again and overweight. I just started walking again and I'm discouraged because two years ago I did a 5 k and now I can't walk more than twenty minutes. I wont give up though.

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Be careful, my brother had it done a long time ago and he gained it all back. In the end nothing is a permanent fix until you change your relationship with food. Good Luck!! ;)
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I know at least 6 people that have had it and you can expect to keep weight off for about 2 years and then it WILL come back! All of them gained it back...and then some.

but, for those couple of years...have fun, you'll look amazing! :)
  • Deluxe97
    Deluxe97 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Recognizing that you need to do something is the most important first step. Anyone that calls surgery the "easy way" has clearly never had surgery. Just make sure you get the proper support after the surgery to deal with the issues that drive you to your unhealthy choices.

Best of luck
  • mhouston2011
    mhouston2011 Posts: 155
    Options
    There are exceptions to the "you will gain it back." As long as you learn how to eat properly and exercise and let it guide you to a healthy way of a living, you will be fine.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    you CAN gain it all back if you don't change your lifestyle and relationship to food.

if bariatric surgery is for you, then go for it. but its not a magic bullet. you still do need to follow a diet plan.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    but i wish you all the best :)
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Remember even after the surgery it is a lifestyle change that you have to be willing to commit to, in order to keep the success going.

Best of luck to you!
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    My sister had lapband surgery 6 yrs ago...and she lost ALL of her weight and has not gained any back....she said she would do again in a heartbeat...I personally HATE the surgery- she cant eat but a few spoonfulls of food at one time before she is throwing up...I see it as medical belimia. I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons...this surgery will FOREVER change your life, in so many ways!
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    though I've been so tempted to take a couple years to binge on donuts and everything bad and gain 100 pounds, keep it on long enough to "qualify" and then never have to worry about weight again.

but I had no support for that. I still think it's a good idea though!
  • mainelymama
    Options
    My husband had this surgery with great success, so good luck! I couldn't do it. In my opinion it looks harder than old fashioned eat less move more. Your diet is soooo much more restrictive this way. I definately do NOT see it as the easy way out. I hope it works for you!
  • christine1007
    christine1007 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It works..... and it is super hard.... not at all the easy way to lose weight and one that you will have to live with for the rest of your life....are you ready for that???

I had it done, 5 years ago

I struggled with getting enough nutrition to be healthy and was quite sick for the first year. Now I am healthy, my pouch is stretched and I can eat more and more varieties of foods. I still must be careful of fat, sugar and breads (and I love breads!!!!)

85% of all people who have the surgery WILL gain all the weight back and more. YOU MUST change your eating habits and relationship with food. I was a food addict... I still am.... I use food to comfort me when sad, bored and when happy to celebrate. I am a total emotional eater! When I had the surgery I described it as going through the worst depression of my life.... I lost my best friend (food). It took a long time to get over it, and to replace food with another habit. I dont think my husband likes my shopping addiction, but I love skinny clothes :) And I am addicted to learning as much about nutrition as I can. I WILL NOT BE FAT AGAIN!!!!!!

Make sure you have a good food habits before you choose to have it done, if you wait until after.... you will struggle. Now if I eat bad food (yes I still do but try not too) I am very sick, have fainted, and even ended up in hospital. It is always a struggle to eat well and not feel different from everyone else. I have to try everyday, and always have to choose healthy nutritious foods.

So again I say, not an easy fix.....weight management it is a life long battle with or without the surgery

Feel free to email me and ask any questions you need to.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Well if you look at my photos you will see I was only a few pounds from my goal weight
    now here I am back to 201 lbs. :'( I went in a few months ago to find out about bariatric surgery and I'm going for it. I know I can loose weight but keeping it off is my problem. I know a lot of people look at this as the easy way out but I'm at my wits end. I can't believe I've gotten so unhealthy again. This is my jump start into healthier eating and. I wont physically be able to overeat or to eat chocolate which is my weakness. I hope I can find support here and not criticism. Medications put the weight on me to begin with and then quit smoking brought it back so now I'm smoking again and overweight. I just started walking again and I'm discouraged because two years ago I did a 5 k and now I can't walk more than twenty minutes. I wont give up though.

Before I lost my weight I looked in to surgery. Like most I thought here was the 'easy' answer, here is a way to 'fix' me but thankfully my husband talked some sense in to me. I know people who have had the surgery and only one who I know has and will keep it off for the rest of his life. Listen to Christine carefully because she made so many great points! I know you don't think you can keep it off but I'm here to say yes you can! Over the last 8 years I've lost and kept off over 100 pounds through healthy eating and exercise. I still log my food daily because it keeps me honest and I exercise every day without fail. Now I'm not saying that every single person has to work out like I do but over the years I've grown to love exercise and it really does make me a happier person :smile: I didn't think I could do it either but somewhere along this amazing journey you learn all kinds of things about yourself and one big thing I learned is I am much stronger and driven than I ever gave myself credit for!
  • jenniflower75
    jenniflower75 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the info, I'm not looking for an easy way out and I know this will be a struggle. What I eat isn't as much of a problem as how much I eat. I'm always hungry. I'm nervous about the surgery but I see no other option. It took me two years of counting calories and exercising everyday atleasy an hr and I liked myself. But now my asthma has gotten so bad and my health so bad that until I loose weight my exercise is limited basically to walki g. Ugh. I get sick everytime I eat these days no matter how much or how little.I'm tired of not being able to move, nreathe, or function properly because of my weight. Id love to be able to run again. I've been struggling with my weiggt since 2000 and I've finally had enough bouncing between 130-235... its enough already. The inly thing I'm waiting on is my insurance clearance. I can't wait but I'm gonna try watching my diet until then.