Searching for the right lifting program....

Options
AReasor
AReasor Posts: 355 Member
I have reached my first goal which was a combination of weight loss and general fitness. In the past few months I have been doing a combination of lifting and cardio. I am looking to cut down on the cardio and focus more on weight lifting.

My question is, what have people had success with? I see different programs and I try to research but then my eye's roll back in my head and it's nap time.

Any suggestions? :smile:

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    You'll find a lot of recommendations for barbell programs stressing the big compound lifts here (squats, deadlifts, bench / overhead press, rows, cleans, etc), from me as well. If you do decide to start barbell lifting, regardless of which program you go with, I'd highly recommend you get a copy of the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. It's great for learning to do the exercises properly.

It does read like a medical textbook at times (lots of talk about the muscles and joint alignment), but mixed in with that are fantastic mental cues that help you get your form right without being able to actually see yourself.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge proponent of NROL4W. HUGE
  • AReasor
    Options
    Thanks, I will take a look. Free weights have been my favorite but also my biggest struggle. Love because it profoundly kicks my butt, and struggle due to trying perfect form without killing joints.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    You'll find a lot of recommendations for barbell programs stressing the big compound lifts here (squats, deadlifts, bench / overhead press, rows, cleans, etc), from me as well. If you do decide to start barbell lifting, regardless of which program you go with, I'd highly recommend you get a copy of the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. It's great for learning to do the exercises properly.

It does read like a medical textbook at times (lots of talk about the muscles and joint alignment), but mixed in with that are fantastic mental cues that help you get your form right without being able to actually see yourself.

Recently read the book myself. 10 bucks on kindle if you have one. Info on that program as well as another beginner routine and tons of other stuff can be found here http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146519303

Oh and if you want form help you can video yourself doing lifts and post the vids on the Exercises subforum at bodybuilding.com and those dudes will help you out.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

but you don't look bulky
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

but you don't look bulky

lulz
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Options
    I've been using Les Mills Body Pump. It's easier for me because it takes out the guess work. I don't have to think about arms, legs...whatever day.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

but you don't look bulky

loled.

good info in here already. I agree, look into starting strength
  • AReasor
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I have been lifting with my Hubby but his goals and mine are starting to be too different.

What I have realized is that I love lifting. It will be nice to have program laid out for me so I can just get in there and kick butt.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer. I'm almost done with the first phase (lifting only; cardio is added after the first 4 weeks) and I've really enjoyed it. I've definitely made strength gains. The last 8 weeks are a serious time commitment, so that is something to be prepared for if you're interested in the program. I'm also following her diet pretty close, which is a challenge at times.

Here's a link if you're interested: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

but you don't look bulky

here, let me turn around a minute . . .
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

but you don't look bulky

here, let me turn around a minute . . .

Hahahahahaha!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

NR ftw! But seriously, I think most of the popular programs will be good. I'm actually doing NROL4W so I know personally that it's good -- and good for beginners as far as structure goes. There are tons of video links that will show you proper form in real movement instead of trying to get it from a picture.
  • winetoweights
    winetoweights Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    LOVED NROLFW! Just finished that program, and think it's awesome for any new women lifters. Plus, the book is great and I think helps to give you the confidence. Yes, men and women do not need to work out any differently, but this is presented in a way that is helpful and not intimidating at all.
    I highly recommend it, and think it's with the $14 or whatever on Amazon.

There are quite possibly other programs that will get you the results you want (I just started Stronglifts 5x5) but I liked NROLFW as it spelled out what to do each day. There is a super supportive FB group for the book, too.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've been doing StrongLifts 5x5 since March. I combine those workouts with alternating steady-state and HIIT runs and 3-4 days per week rock climbing. SL has been an excellent complement to those other workouts.