Nursing Moms

Options
Any other nursing moms out there?

Replies

• ChristineAnelia
    Options
    Yes, my daughter is almost 5 month old. We're actually having supply/weight gain problems right now and I'm wondering if it has to do with my weight loss goals. The timing seems to coincide, though I don't feel like I've decreased the amount of food I'm eating by very much. I'm just trying to make better choices. For now I've set my weight loss goal to zero lbs./wk. I'm thinking this should allow me to lose a pound/week when taking into account the 500 or so calories per day for nursing. Thoughts?

How old is your baby? Any issues for you?
  • applejuice3977
    Options
    my babe is 2.5 months old.
    i just starting the attempt to lose so i hope i am going to do ok. i let the site set my calories, which for 222 lbs it says 1600 to lose 1 lb a week. then i log about 300 cals of exercise for nursing/pumping so that if i go over 1600 it doesnt matter. i couldnt decide teh best way to do it.

from waht i have read, you're right - eat about 300-500 more than it tells you to. and dont try to lose more than 1-1.5 a week. losing more than a week consitantly can cause issues with milk supply and even contaminate it for baby. odd, but read that in a couple places.

i will keep post to se if i have any issues - best of luck and maybe we can keep in touch!!!
  • kaustin515
    kaustin515 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am new to this and I too am a nursing mom. My son is 4 months old. I EBF at home and pump at work. I too am trying to lose 1lb/week. I just added the food of breastfeeding 3-6month old which decreased 400 calories from my day.
  • applejuice3977
    Options
    I did not know they had a breastfeeding food. hhmm. i'll have to check that out. THANKS.
  • 80lbslost
    80lbslost Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Come join the Post Partum Pack group. Lots of info for nursing moms and great support network!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/639-post-partum-pack
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm in this thread for all the wrong reasons. :laugh:
  • jenydc
    jenydc Posts: 12
    Options
    Im so glad that i can add breastfeeding!
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm actually weaning my 3 1/2 yr old right now, but I'm here for anyone that has questions on anything at all.
  • shrinkinc
    shrinkinc Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My son is 11 1/2 weeks old and exclusively breast fed. Add me if you like!
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Nursing mommy here. I am currently nursing my almost 1 year old twins. I have also nursed my 5 other children. Feel free to add me.

As far as calories and nursing, you shouldn't go below 1800 while nursing especially if you run into supply issues. It takes the body 26 calories to produce one ounce of milk. So if a mommy produces 25 ounces a day she burns 650 calories to do so. When the number 500 calories is given as an extra amount for nursing mommies, it is with a calorie deficit to help post partum weight loss already built in.

To add nursing calories in you can log it under exercise (especially if you are concerned about your macros), log it under food, or simply change your calorie goal in the set up (also fixes the macro issue, but is terrible for the what you will weigh in 5 weeks.) I currently have set my goal higher and am playing around with my numbers since the babies are getting older. I used to log it as food everyday.

Best wishes on your nursing and weight loss journey!:flowerforyou:
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Nursing my 7 1/2 month old daughter. I log my breastfeeding under my food diary. Ive been logging for about 5 months and am down about 20 pounds. Feel free to add me if you like!
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Nursing my one year old, counting it as 300/day as she also eats solids. I eat 1800-2100 calories per day.