Tips on building-up stamina on a treadmill

rms171
rms171 Posts: 30 Member
I have been on the treadmill consistently, which has helped in shedding twenty pounds from my frame in the last four weeks. I can get up to 4 mph (8-10% incline) and keep the heart rate at about 130 or so for a good portion of 60 minutes without issue. Try as I may to start to jog or run, maybe at 5-7 mph with minimal incline, I find my heart jumping out of my chest a minute or so later. I end up having to take my speed down to 3 mph or so to catch my breath, only to work my way back to 4 mph.

Any suggestions or tips on how to take my treadmill work out to the next level would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Try the Couch to 5K Plan (C25K)

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    Tabata protocol to increase VO2 max.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    I start out running every day at 4.3mph on the treadmill, then work my way up in about six minutes. I am now able to run at 5.3 comfortably, but for the longest time I ran at between 4.6 and 4.8mph - so don't feel pressured to run faster than 5mph immediately, no matter how fast the people next to you arer running.

Running is more mental than anything else.. Good luck..
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Just work your way up slowly. If your comfortable pace is 4.0, you shouldn't even try 7.0 unless you're doing interval training; and even then, that might be a little too high to go to. Run at 4.0, then next week maybe try 4.2 and see how it feels. I wouldn't focus too much on your heart rate (unless of course there's a medical condition involved), I would just try to focus on how you feel.

Also, 10% is a pretty steep grade to run at for an hour, and 10% at 7.0 seems incredibly difficult.
  • wa_tracy
    wa_tracy Posts: 110 Member
    c25K had me running a 5K in a little less than two months. And now, I only run, albeit slow.