What exercise do you do?

Options
I need some inspiration please! I am a busy mum of 2, full time mum all day to 4 month old and 5 year old at school. Looking to exercise 3 times a week but struggling to find anything I enjoy! My problem is how limited to time I am. I can exercise at home but honestly don't enjoy it so won't stick to it. When I go back to work in 2 months I work 5 evenings a week but one of my evenings off my husband works late. So I need something I can do on a weekend morning that I can go out and enjoy then can exercise twice a week at home. Previous things I have enjoyed are dancing and netball. Any ideas?

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is a proper heavy lifting routine 3 days per week on non consecutive days.
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Your little one is too young yet for a bike trailer (they must be at least one, my two year old loves hers) but 4 months is old enough for a jogging stroller. You could take her for walks or jogs - exercise for you, fresh air for both of you. You could also put her in a carrier and got for walks (not runs though!). I have a ergobaby and we both love it. A moby wrap would work good for that age too.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    With all do respect, how are we supposed to know what you'll enjoy?

From the sounds of your post, you don't have the will power to stick with something you don't enjoy (I don't mean that as a shot at you, that's the case for a lot of us, including myself), so to be successful you have to find something you enjoy. We can't really help you with that.

Personally, I run and bike because I enjoy it. I swim so I can do triathlons (which I also enjoy). I lift because the results are great.
  • aclark316
    aclark316 Posts: 66
    Options
    I am a mom of 2 as well! I have a 2 year old son and a 4 month old daughter. I found a way to exercise that is fun, easy and quiet. It's a nice way to burn some cals without waking up the wee ones when they are (finally) sleeping. Hula Hooping!!! I purchased a 2.5lb hula hoop and hoop for 30 minutes. I burn about 250 cals and can easily flip on a show and hoop to it. It doesn't wake even slightly wake up my daughter when she is napping in the same room as me. The one I purchased is a Danskin Now hoop. I purchased it from Walmart but I'm sure you can get online and figure out where you can purchase one from where you live. Like I said, it's fun, easy, burns cals and also helps to tone my core! Hope this helps!
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Ok I hate to run. I do enjoy a jog walk for at least 3.1 miles. I love rowing machines. I don't mind push ups, sit ups, I like to use tha captain's chair ab exercies. I also use 8-10 lb weight while doing squats. Every bit counts.
  • fraggles1805
    fraggles1805 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I agree I need to find something I enjoy and just looking for ideas on things to try really.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    The Jillian Michaels DVD's are great for quick workouts. Most of them are 20-30 minutes long, and they will work you out, trust me. Her ripped in 30 is on Youtube, so you can try it out and see if it is something you would want to buy.
  • natpalit
    natpalit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Zumba classes? Or dvds?
  • RenovatingSuzanne
    Options
    What about a local "stroller group" or a mum's group that walks in the park to get you started now and then in the AM try a DVD or even a youtube workout. If I have 20 minutes to spare I'll head over to youtube and do a barre workout. You don't have to be intimidated that the videos / dvd's are longer do what you can. I have done it so many times that now I find myself squatting and doing a demi-plie while I brush my teeth, wash the pots, talk on the phone etc.
  • fraggles1805
    fraggles1805 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. Have tried zumba and love it but sadly can't make it to the classes as all the ones around here are evenings. Thanks for the ideas everyone.