Lower Sodium ?

Options
MernyMac
MernyMac Posts: 37 Member
I have a recipe where I use canned potatoes and carrots.....they each contain a fair amount of sodium..

My question is......If I drain the veggies and then rinse them, will it reduce the amount of sodium at all ?

Replies

• JPenny12
    JPenny12 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Rinsing will help reduce the sodium. However using fresh potoates and carrots would be the best choice to reduce overall sodium in the recipe.
  • MernyMac
    Options
    Most of the time I do use fresh.....But this is a quick easy skillet corned beef and cabbage, so I use the canned veggies.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Rinse them this time. Next time look for no salt added canned goods.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Yes, for sure! Well done for watching the sodium too!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You can actually get this info via Google, I looked it up for rinsing and draining canned beans one time and it said that you reduce the sodium by about 40% by doing so. Probably the same for the veggies, but I would check just in case, beans may absorb the sodium differently than veggies!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Rinsing would be good for now, but definitely look for the no-salt-added canned veggies next time you go shopping. Little to none in there.
  • smhammons
    smhammons Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    using fresh vegatable is best and they can be steamed in a microwave in about 5 minutes using ziplocs steaming bags. its easy to do with a double boiler too.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Use frozen veggies (either store-bought or home cooked and frozen)! Just as convenient to throw in the pan and no added salt.
  • MernyMac
    Options
    Me thinks I'll be looking for the no salt veggies from now on, too much salt in the ones I get now......I'll also check google for that rinsing info......Thanks everyone for your input.