What did you pick after NRWL4W?

Options
I'm happy with my results from NRWL4W, I know some people cycle through it again though i'm not sure that is what I want to do. I felt silly doing some of those exercises (and was even asked what I was doing twice!) but i'm not sure what I want to do next. I do not like DVDs and I enjoy heavy weights at lower reps at the gym. I had considered StrongLifts, but I'm not sure if the progression is right for me. For those who have completed NRWL4W, what did you move onto next and why?

If someone has any great suggestions, i'd love to hear them also.

Replies

• evilmonkee
    evilmonkee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have a little bit more to go, but I'll be going with New Rules of Lifting for Abs next. I like Cosgrove's workouts, and I've gotten wonderful results with them so far.

I haven't had a chance to read it in detail, but from what I could gather, the abs program similar to the women's and the original new rules program (heavy compound moves, low reps) , but it also incorporates kettlebells and TRX. If you go to a gym and are looking for a change of pace, kettlebell and TRX workouts are great stand-alone workouts that complement any heavy lifting program.
    Why do you feel silly doing the new rules moves? Was it the incline Y and Cuban snatch move? Those really feel kind of odd, but they are pretty standard- any progressive program will end up having a similar move at some point.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    stronglifts or starting strength.

for strong lifts i didnt drop back down back to he bar like he suggested. i figured i had worked for months getting my squat and BB row up to a certain amount, no way was i going to drop back down to the bar. i just started where i left off on NRoL, and if i couldnt go up by 5 pounds each workout, i hunted down the 1.25 plates in the gym and went up by 2.5 pounds. of course you'll stall faster that way, but it makes no logical sense to me to drop down to 45 pounds when just a few weeks before i was at 145

and i know what you mean about finding some of the moves silly. part of the reason why i couldnt get through stages 4&5 AGAIN (since it;s a repeat of 2 &3) is because of some of the moves i felt were ridiculous like the backwards lunge with forward reach or the DB 1 point row. when i want to work on my balance like that i do yoga. i really didnt appreciate cutesy moves like that in my heavy lifting program
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I have cycled through NROLFW twice (not in a row) but now I am doing Jamie Eason LiveFit Trainer (from bodybuilding.com). I started at phase 2 (which includes some cardio) instead of going through phase 1 since I'm doing a small cut right now. I think it is a good program, and it utilizes a 4-day split which was what I was looking for.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I think moves like the dumbell single-arm overheat squat and the DB one point rows were just more complicated than they needed to be. I might go back through the workout, but I always feel like I need something new to keep motivated.

I have not looked at the Abs book yet, though I did see where a few people cycled through that one along with this one. I am going to check it out, also the Starting Strength. I hear lots of good things from Stronglifts though I haven't figured out the process exactly.

I suppose i'm off to do more research, thanks for the suggestions!