24 hour fast

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    speed up your metabolism by eating more times a day

You should probably do some research on it. Specifically this part above.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Look up intermittent fasting. I don't know much about it, but there's an entire group on here devoted to it. You may get some info there.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    For weight loss, I would say hell no. Your metabolism is much like a furnace..to get it to burn hotter, you need to give it fuel. It slows down to a halt when you don't give it anything to burn.

Actually, it doesn't.

while you make a great argument, actually, it does.

If I present you with peer reviewed research that shows you that you are incorrect, will you read it and consider changing your stance on this?

Additionally, do you have any research you can link to me that backs up your claim?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, I would say hell no. Your metabolism is much like a furnace..to get it to burn hotter, you need to give it fuel. It slows down to a halt when you don't give it anything to burn.

Actually, it doesn't.

It's true that if you don't eat anything for long enough, your metabolism will stop. Because you'll die.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Surely 24 hours of not eating wont kill me....althought it may feel that way!
  • jwerdlike
    jwerdlike Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you are considering 24 hour fasts, I'd highly recommend picking up Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat. http://www.bradpilon.com

Essentially with this program you are creating a caloric deficit by going without eating from one point to the next. And instead of other popular IF methods your window starts again as soon as your fast breaks and continues as long as you want. Brad recommends 2x a week for optimal results but once a week to start is fine.

Don't listen to the bad advice in this thread about your metabolism. These people also probably believe that the food they eat has a significance to the amount of calories they burn. You may burn a little more but NOTHING substantial.

IF is great. I do a lean gains style recomp right now and I couldn't be happier with it. It's allowed me to break my own fat loss plateaus and gain incredible strength with my workouts. I fast around 16-18 hours, then have a small eating window and repeat.

Add me as a friend if you have any questions or need any help

Cheers
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    This is something my PT suggested as I'm in need of fat burning. Anyone done it?

Hi,

I have done it and intend to keep doing it about once a week (the rest of the time I do a 1 6hour fast following the www.leangains.com) for the increased fat burning and some extra weigh loss. IF has lots of cool benefits such as:

Decreased Bodyfat/Weight
    Maintenance of Skeletal Muscle Mass
    Decreased Blood Glucose Levels
    Decreased Insulin Levels and Increased Insulin Sensitivity (Approx 70% reduction in the first 24 Hours of Fasting)
    Increase LIPOLYSIS (Woohoo) & Fat Oxidation (Between 18 and 24 Hours increase by over 50%)
    Increased Uncoupling Protein 3 mRNA (at about 15 hour mark you 5 times more fat burning potential)
    Increased Norephrine and Epinephrine Levels (meaning your more alert)
    Increased Glucagon Levels
    Increased Growth Hormone Levels

Anyway you get the picture =D
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Surely 24 hours of not eating wont kill me....althought it may feel that way!
    No one suggested that it would.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

Actually, it doesn't.

I'd hope that the human body would have evolved enough to go a full 24 hours without panicking and rushing into "starvation mode". Intermittent Fasting (there's a lot of information over at www.leangains.com) follows this idea - your body doesn't need to be "constantly fed" with small meals that constantly gets pushed on these forums.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    WHEN IS IT OKAY TO JUMPSTART MY METABOLISM. ONLY AT BREKFIST?
  • Sidesteal
    Options

I'm going to invent metabolic jumper cables made out of licorice ropes. I'll be rich.
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    Options

I'm going to invent metabolic jumper cables made out of licorice ropes. I'll be rich.

Lmao they wouldn't even have to work..you'd get rich simply because of the hype that would create the next fad. I simply do not understand this mind set around starvation mode.
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Its complete rubbish that you need to eat often to keep the fire burning. Not only that you could fast for longer than 24 hours an din fact some people do it for 36 Hours (see Lowcarbcory on youtube). You will not go into starvation mode or see a decrease in metobolic rate until 60-72 hours and people should not be fasting for this long anyway the benefits of fasting peak at 24 hours.

And here the proof that you do not need to keep the furnace burning..

1. Myth: Eat frequently to "stoke the metabolic fire".

Truth

Each time you eat, metabolic rate increases slightly for a few hours. Paradoxically, it takes energy to break down and absorb energy. This is the Thermic Effect of Food (TEF). The amount of energy expended is directly proportional to the amount of calories and nutrients consumed in the meal.

Let's assume that we are measuring TEF during 24 hours in a diet of 2700 kcal with 40% protein, 40% carbohydrate and 20% fat. We run three different trials where the only thing we change is the the meal frequency.

A) Three meals: 900 kcal per meal.

B) Six meals: 450 kcal per meal.

C) Nine meals: 300 kcal per meal.

What we'd find is a different pattern in regards to TEF. Example "A" would yield a larger and long lasting boost in metabolic rate that would gradually taper off until the next meal came around; TEF would show a "peak and valley"-pattern. "C" would yield a very weak but consistent boost in metabolic rate; an even pattern. "B" would be somewhere in between.

However, at the end of the 24-hour period, or as long as it would take to assimilate the nutrients, there would be no difference in TEF. The total amount of energy expended by TEF would be identical in each scenario. Meal frequency does not affect total TEF. You cannot "trick" the body in to burning more or less calories by manipulating meal frequency.

Further reading: I have covered the topic of meal frequency at great length on this site before.

The most extensive review of studies on various meal frequencies and TEF was published in 1997. It looked at many different studies that compared TEF during meal frequencies ranging from 1-17 meals and concluded:

"Studies using whole-body calorimetry and doubly-labelled water to assess total 24 h energy expenditure find no difference between nibbling and gorging".

Since then, no studies have refuted this. For a summary of the above cited study, read this research review by Lyle McDonald.

Earlier this year, a new study was published on the topic. As expected, no differences were found between a lower (3 meals) and higher meal (6 meals) frequency. Read this post for my summary of the study. This study garnered some attention in the mass media and it was nice to see the meal frequency myth being debunked in The New York Times.

Origin

Seeing how conclusive and clear research is on the topic of meal frequency, you might wonder why it is that some people, quite often RDs in fact, keep repeating the myth of "stoking the metabolic fire" by eating small meals on a frequent basis. My best guess is that they've somehow misunderstood TEF. After all, they're technically right to say you keep your metabolism humming along by eating frequently. They just missed that critical part where it was explained that TEF is proportional to the calories consumed in each meal.

Another guess is that they base the advice on some epidemiological studies that found an inverse correlation between high meal frequency and body weight in the population. What that means is that researchers may look at the dietary pattern of thousands individuals and find that those who eat more frequently tend to weigh less than those who eat less frequently. It's important to point out that these studies are uncontrolled in terms of calorie intake and are done on Average Joes (i.e. normal people who do not count calories and just eat spontaneously like most people).

There's a saying that goes "correlation does not imply causation" and this warrants further explanation since it explains many other dietary myths and fallacies. Just because there's a connection between low meal frequencies and higher body weights, doesn't mean that low meal frequencies cause weight gain. Those studies likely show that people who tend to eat less frequently have:

* Dysregulated eating patterns; the personality type that skips breakfast in favor of a donut in the car on the way to work, undereat during the day, and overeat in the evening. They tend to be less concerned with health and diet than those who eat more frequently.

* Another feasible explanation for the association between low meal frequencies and higher body weight is that meal skipping is often used as a weight loss strategy. People who are overweight are more likely to be on a diet and eat fewer meals.

The connection between lower meal frequency and higher body weight in the general population, and vice versa, is connected to behavioral patterns - not metabolism

Source: http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

Here is the section on starvation mode:

4. Myth: Fasting tricks the body into "starvation mode".

Truth

Efficient adaptation to famine was important for survival during rough times in our evolution. Lowering metabolic rate during starvation allowed us to live longer, increasing the possibility that we might come across something to eat. Starvation literally means starvation. It doesn't mean skipping a meal not eating for 24 hours. Or not eating for three days even. The belief that meal skipping or short-term fasting causes "starvation mode" is so completely ridiculous and absurd that it makes me want to jump out the window.

Looking at the numerous studies I've read, the earliest evidence for lowered metabolic rate in response to fasting occurred after 60 hours (-8% in resting metabolic rate). Other studies show metabolic rate is not impacted until 72-96 hours have passed (George Cahill has contributed a lot on this topic).

Seemingly paradoxical, metabolic rate is actually increased in short-term fasting. For some concrete numbers, studies have shown an increase of 3.6% - 10% after 36-48 hours (Mansell PI, et al, and Zauner C, et al). This makes sense from an evolutionary perspective. Epinephrine and norepinephrine (adrenaline/noradrenaline) sharpens the mind and makes us want to move around. Desirable traits that encouraged us to seek for food, or for the hunter to kill his prey, increasing survival. At some point, after several days of no eating, this benefit would confer no benefit to survival and probably would have done more harm than good; instead, an adaptation that favored conservation of energy turned out to be advantageous. Thus metabolic rate is increased in short-term fasting (up to 60 hours).

Again, I have choosen extreme examples to show how absurd the myth of "starvation mode" is - especially when you consider that the exact opposite is true in the context of how the term is thrown around.

Origin

I guess some genius read that fasting or starvation causes metabolic rate to drop and took that to mean that meal skipping, or not eating for a day or two, would cause starvation mode.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    There's plenty of scientific evidence that fasting a day or two on a regular basis promotes longer life, better health and keeps your brain sharp. (please don't ask, I've found it, you can too) Part of the reason it works is because, regardless of what others may post, it actually helps keep your body OUT of starvation mode.

This is how it works. Say you eat 2000 calories a day and you want to cut that to 1500. If you go on a long term 1500 calorie diet your body may in fact go into starvation mode and your metabolism might slow down. Now look at it from a weekly basis instead of a daily basis. You're eating 14000 calories a week and you want to cut that to 10500. That means you need to cut 3500 calories per week. If you fast two days each week and limit your food intake on those days to <250 calories each day, you've accomplished your goal. A 24-48 hour fast (with limited calories) will not put your body in starvation mode, and since you're still eating 2000 calories the rest of the week your metabolism stays high.

You may well need to cut back on very strenuous exercise while fasting to avoid eating up your lean body mass - better to do slower exercise like walking or biking that tends to pull more from your fat reserves.

Yes, a lot of what you lose in those fasts will be waste and water - which is another benefit of fasting, it allows your digestive system to empty itself. And when you start eating again you will gain that food and waste weight back as you fill your guts again. But you will also be losing fat.

Or at least that's the way it works for me. It might not work at all for you. For me, it goes like this.

I fast on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. On Tuesday I'll lose 2-3 pounds and on Wednesday I'll lose another 1-2 pounds, for a total loss of about 4 pounds. Thursday I'll get 2 of those pounds back as my gut gets refilled with food, Friday I'll gain another pound, then Saturday through Monday I'll lose one or 2 pounds as my waste system catches up, for a net loss of 1.5 - 1.8 pounds in a week.

I've been doing this for months. I haven't had a single week when I didn't lose at least 1 pound, some weeks I lose as much as 2. Energy is not a problem, in fact you may find that on your fast days you actually have more energy, especially in the afternoons since your body isn't spending energy digesting your lunch.

But, as with any diet or exercise program, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. Try it and see how it works for you. Certainly 24 hours of very reduced food intake is not going to hurt you.
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    I'm still deciding if I should fast as I'm already on a deficit from my TDEE?
  • Sofithomas
    Sofithomas Posts: 118
    Options
    Fasting is awesome, look up intermittent fasting - I believe your pt is referring to this. Your body will not go into starvation mode it takes 72 hours of nothing for it to eveb start at that stage!! I fast a couple times a week and the results have been epic so far, so much leaner and more energised I think I may make it a daily thing! You still eat all your cals just in bigger meals and a smaller eating time frame - good for big appetites like me!!! ;D
  • myscaleaddiction
    Options
    Not really advice, just sharing experience. I've tried this before twice- one day I only drank water and tea, and the second time I did it I drank both plain and lemon water. I did lose 3-4 pounds but it was only because it was the day after a binge so obviously it was water weight, as well as food weight and waste.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    This is something my PT suggested as I'm in need of fat burning. Anyone done it?

I just finished one on Monday. I do it at least once per week, and it's been great.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I'm still deciding if I should fast as I'm already on a deficit from my TDEE?

If you feel fine and don't feel like you're not eating enough, your TDEE number might be off. The key to fasting is eating normally on the days you're not fasting. You just skip a day once or twice a week. When I fast, I don't even get hungry, although I do notice I get psychological urgest to eat, which I over ride.
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    I'm really not sure if my TDEE is off. Normally I'm more hungry as I'm at work..I'm a teacher so off on holiday at the moment. Also, it's so hot I've not felt like eating.

One day sounds achievable!