Rice Paper.. YAY / NAY?! Sounds Superb to Me...

Options
AimersBee
AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
I just thought of this, because I love wraps and sandwiches but don't like all the extra carbs or calories that comes with the tortilla or bread... but does anyone here eat wraps and sandwich type fixings in rice paper? How is it?.. I'm not a fan of salad wraps, so I wanted an alternative.. and I was thinking this..

Generic - Rice Paper, 1 paper
Calories: 35
Carbs: 8
Fat: 0
Protein: 1
Sugar: 0
Sodium: 20

6a00d8341ef22f53ef01156ffba003970c-500pi

Replies

• Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    At my house we pan-fry ground pork and make rice-paper rolls with the pork, and a wide variety of veggies and fresh herbs. A little dipping sauce and you have a low-fat meal that everyone can specialize for their own tastes. :-)
  • AimersBee
    Options
    At my house we pan-fry ground pork and make rice-paper rolls with the pork, and a wide variety of veggies and fresh herbs. A little dipping sauce and you have a low-fat meal that everyone can specialize for their own tastes. :-)

hmmm sounds delish!
  • AimersBee
    Options
    bump
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think it's a fantastic idea!
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Genius!
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Brilliant! I need to do this, like, soon.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Made my tummy growl!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I had one of those not so long ago. It was like eating rubber. I could not eat the rest of it. Despite the low cal option. It was not enough for me to put my body & taste buds through that.
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I do believe I will be adding this to my grocery list!
  • ctwm84
    ctwm84 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My grocery store does not carry rice paper... which is so sad to me. I have been wanting to buy them ever since I saw Giada At Home use them to make some rolls, but I cant find them in stores...
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You'd have to use a few wraps to manage a substantial meal. If you try and put a load of ingredients in the one wrap you're going to end up with tearing and a bunch of ham, cheese and veg in your lap.

I'd try making summer rolls. They're beyond tasty and have *so* many possible combinations. For me I like poached chicken or leftover garlic prawns with shredded lettuce, whatever sprouty things look good, grated carrot, cucumber sticks, coriander, mint, any other herbs that look nice... that sort of thing. Most restaurant wraps include rice noodles with the filling but that bumps up the calorie count. If you stick to protein and veg you can eat a good half dozen with a soy/chilli dipping sauce (google for a recipe or just do what I do and get dumpling sauce from your local Asian market). If you can spare a few more calories, try mixing hoi sin sauce, peanut butter, soy and a bit of lime together to dip. Thin with water to desired consistency.

Good stuff!
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My grocery store does not carry rice paper... which is so sad to me. I have been wanting to buy them ever since I saw Giada At Home use them to make some rolls, but I cant find them in stores...

Do you have an Asian grocer around? I'm yet to visit one here that doesn't carry rice paper!
  • AimersBee
    Options
    as long as spinach or lettuce (keep moisture in the middle, as to not rip it) is the first thing on the wrap im sure you can put anything in it.. :)
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Ate these all the time while growing up, standard in a Vietnamese household ;3.