Those hidden calories cause weight gain

Options
As a person posts in their Daily Food Diary here, they will probably find what I found:

Sugar, Bread Products, and Fat/Chocolate filled products have the most calories.

I WAS WAY OVER MY CALORIES - FOR MANY YEARS (no matter what "diet" I was on).

Most people (including me) have no idea how easy calories add up - unless they track EVERYTHING they eat/drink.

Now that I'm tracking everything, I have no doubt I will lose weight.

:smile: Thank God for MYFITNESSPAL. Awesome sight!!

Replies

• DrJerryFowler
    Options
    What do you all think has the MOST CALORIES?

What foods/drinks are good to avoid?

Thanks!
  • tvgal
    tvgal Posts: 87
    Options
    You know what's done me in? the cream I put in my coffee every morning :( i wasn't measuring (I use caramel macchiato flavor), and when i finally did, each cup ended up being like 150 cals!!! And I always have TWO! I may as well go to Starbucks! grrrrrr. well at least now I know...
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    and ground beef! Even after doing this for a long time I was so sad to find out how much my ground beef sandwich (just ground beef and chicken broth) cost me :( It was like a 1,000 cal lunch counting the bread and it was not that much food! I don't imagine I won't eat ground beef, but it may make me shell out the extra $ for the 95/5 instead of the 70/30!!! (650 cals / lb vs 1500 cals / lb!)
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Non-water drinks, in general, are killer. I've basically cut out anything other than water, tea and coffee from my drinking diet. Even the healthiest fruit juices can be 150 calories or more per serving- and I can easily drink 2 servings at a time. Amazing how it adds up! And if you add sugar or cream to your coffee, watch out!

If I'm SICK of water, sometimes I'll add crystal light. If I feel I NEED to drink pop (which is seldom- I've never been a big pop drinker) I'll have a diet- though, I do avoid diet pop for the most part because I heard it's not good for you. Plus, I can't drink more than half a can at a time because since I started drinking water so much I find it too sweet..... If I have milk, I water it down. I really like Gatorade g2, and will sometimes treat myself to that.... but yeah. For the most part, I just try to be aware and not drink my calories. I find it's a lot easier to stay within my 1200 calories per day if I'm not wasting them on liquids.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    When I started this two things that I eliminated were Mt Dew and Ranch Salad dressing. That alone cut out 5000 calories a week from my intake. And we weren't even to the cheeseburgers yet. I'm proud to say I haven't had one of those in 2 months.

I do drink Gatorade a couple hours after a run though. After burning 750 k/c in 45 minutes. I don't see any problem in giving 100 back, especially to put my electrolytes back.
  • DrJerryFowler
    Options
    Very good I play - and congratulations on 60 pounds lost !!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I do drink Gatorade a couple hours after a run though. After burning 750 k/c in 45 minutes. I don't see any problem in giving 100 back, especially to put my electrolytes back.

That's why I love the g2. It's really sweet and refreshing- but only 25 calories per serving! I could live off that stuff! But it's expensive so I usually just stick with plain ol' boring water.