I don't have time = It's not a priority

Options
Laceylala
Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
I get an email from nerdfitness.com every couple of days and when I read the latest one this morning, I knew I wanted to post this excerpt on MFP because it is SO TRUE! I only hope I can remember this on the days I struggle with working out and want to find an excuse not to do it. Or to eat right, etc. I haven't checked but am pretty sure the rest of this must be posted on the website for all to read. Today this just really rang true for me. I think I will use little saying this on my homepage as a reminder as well.
Cheers!:drinker:

"Starting today, you are no longer allowed to utter the words: "I don't have time."

Instead, you will say, "It's not a priority."

I learned this tactic from this Wall-Street Journal article, and it has been monumental in changing my frame of mind.

Watch how quickly your perspective shifts when looking at life's challenges this way:
•"I'd love to work out, I just don't have time" becomes "exercising isn't a priority."
•"I'd love to eat healthier, but I don't have time to cook" becomes "eating healthy isn't a priority."
•"I don't have time to travel" becomes "traveling isn't a priority."
Suddenly, the excuse of time becomes an incredibly weak argument. Crap.

Stings a bit, huh?"

Replies

• ChelleFeegan
    ChelleFeegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting - think I will make the change too
  • cuddlebug07
    cuddlebug07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good Point !
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it isn't a priority, though, and that's fine. When my children were very small, they were my priority. Exercise came somewhere so far down the list as to be insignificant.

Everyone has different priorities. You can't judge other people for theirs.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it isn't a priority, though, and that's fine. When my children were very small, they were my priority. Exercise came somewhere so far down the list as to be insignificant.

Everyone has different priorities. You can't judge other people for theirs.

I wasn't?
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Hmm interesting
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    That's a great way of looking at it!
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have been using "It's not a priority" for about a year now. It does wonders for the mind, partially because it causes you to evaluate what your priorities really are. If you start to look at life with priorities in mind, you get a LOT of clarity on your plan for life and the next 5 or 10 years.
  • indescribablesin
    Options
    Except that often when I make exercising a priority, I find myself substituting exercise for sleep, which isn't sustainable. I really don't have much time.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Except that often when I make exercising a priority, I find myself substituting exercise for sleep, which isn't sustainable. I really don't have much time.

Pretty sure you have the same amount of time as everyone else on this planet. It's still a matter of prioirty.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Pretty sure you have the same amount of time as everyone else on this planet. It's still a matter of prioirty.

Lol are you serious? She might have to work multiple jobs just to put food on the table for her family, which she then might have to take care of, and then possibly clean, and THEN try to either exercise or sleep.

I'm all for finding the time to exercise, but assuming EVERY single person has the exact same amount of free time is just insane.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I like it! Done.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options

Lol are you serious? She might have to work multiple jobs just to put food on the table for her family, which she then might have to take care of, and then possibly clean, and THEN try to either exercise or sleep.

I'm all for finding the time to exercise, but assuming EVERY single person has the exact same amount of free time is just insane.

She didn't say "free time", she said "time", as in: we all have the same 24 hours in a day.

Some people do have to work more, have children, different responsibilities, etc. Others have enough time on their hands to argue on forums... :laugh:
    150930 Posts: 19
    Options
    This is why it is not worth writing in forums (I say as I type, right?!?!). The original post is merely an observation. It may apply to you - it may not. Oy vey.

We make time for that which is important to us. Simply put. It may be keeping a roof over our heads, spending time with family, losing weight ... all of these things may not be priority ALL at the same time because life doesn't usually work out that. We ALL get one day at a time. whatever you do today, let it be worth it because you just traded a day of your life for it.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

She didn't say "free time", she said "time", as in: we all have the same 24 hours in a day.

Some people do have to work more, have children, different responsibilities, etc. Others have enough time on their hands to argue on forums... :laugh:

Argue? Ok, sure.

I realize that she was speaking about 24 hours in the day. So I don't understand the point of your post? To point out my point that some people have more responsibilities and are therefore unable to find time to exercise in said 24 hours a day?
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    Love it!!

Isn't very PC BUT I will admit that when people comment on my weightloss and I tell them what I've done the common response is "Oh gosh, I just don't have time to work out or make my lunch in the morning", I think "you have the time, you just don't want too" and that's fine however don't complain about being overweight because all of us can find 10 minutes 3x per day to move. I am not judging because not that long ago I was there, now it is a priority and I can miss 30 minutes of TV.
  • indescribablesin
    Options

I suppose I should have said *free* time. But yes, it definitely is a matter of priority and even though it's not necessarily healthy I do find myself exercising rather than sleeping most days out of the week, but sometimes after going to bed at 2 only to wake up at 5 I can't help sleeping in :laugh:
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    My personal observation regarding myself and most of the people im around frequently is we do have time. We just choose to make other things a priority. So as far as im concerned OP you have hit the nail on the head. Theres not one single person i know who doesnt waste a few hours a week on things which could be replaced with exercise. I have friends who complain about their weight say they dont have time to exercise but spend hours on the internet, watching net flix and cable, texting, talking on the phone or just doing nothing. Walking for an hour three times a week will help you get healthy and burn some extra calories yet they swear they dont have the time. My question is how much time will you lose when you develop a chronic health condition that will really prevent you from living life?? Just some food for thought.....
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    LOVE this, thanks!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I get an email from nerdfitness.com every couple of days and when I read the latest one this morning, I knew I wanted to post this excerpt on MFP because it is SO TRUE! I only hope I can remember this on the days I struggle with working out and want to find an excuse not to do it. Or to eat right, etc. I haven't checked but am pretty sure the rest of this must be posted on the website for all to read. Today this just really rang true for me. I think I will use little saying this on my homepage as a reminder as well.
    Cheers!:drinker:

"Starting today, you are no longer allowed to utter the words: "I don't have time."

Instead, you will say, "It's not a priority."

I learned this tactic from this Wall-Street Journal article, and it has been monumental in changing my frame of mind.

Watch how quickly your perspective shifts when looking at life's challenges this way:
    •"I'd love to work out, I just don't have time" becomes "exercising isn't a priority."
    •"I'd love to eat healthier, but I don't have time to cook" becomes "eating healthy isn't a priority."
    •"I don't have time to travel" becomes "traveling isn't a priority."
    Suddenly, the excuse of time becomes an incredibly weak argument. Crap.

Stings a bit, huh?"

I used to make this exact excuse "I have to pack lunches, I have to make dinner, I don't have time" and then I got tired of my own excuses and lack of results.

SO I started working out BEFORE work...that way I have no excuse and I'm making it a priority. :) If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. Excellent reminder.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I just read this today and I love the idea. Just awesome.

It's definitely going to be something I incorporate into my self-accountability tools.