Body Fat%

Options
What is a decent amount of BF% to lose per month? Is there something I should be aiming for? FWIW one month ago I started at 47.7% (YIKES I know)

Replies

• rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I have heard 1%, and that seems to be on track with what I lose, but my opinion is only a guess.
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I also calculated my % of body fat and it was high (I think 38%). I am concentrating on losing pounds per week and won't translate it into any body fat calculation until I see more pounds disappear. Maybe one of the many fitness trainers and nutritionists will reply to your post and give you some more knowledgeable advice. Best wishes and concentrate on the diet and exercise for now.
  • themichaelf
    Options
    1% - 3% but every person's body is different
  • lauries3
    lauries3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    How do you even find out about body fat? I just know that I have to lose it!
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Lauries-

My gym has a thing you enter your Height, weight, and age into then you hold on and it gives your BF%
  • Redtango76
    Redtango76 Posts: 144
    Options

A lot of gyms will give you a free assessment that includes measuring your BMI with a electronic handheld gadget .
  • JessyJ03
    Options

A lot of gyms will give you a free assessment that includes measuring your BMI with a electronic handheld gadget .

Yes this thing! The BMI is there as well but the trainer I met with said don't pay attention to that. BF% much more important.
  • ScottRy76
    ScottRy76 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    they use a omicron and the electronic body fat testers really are not very accurate at all, you would be better investing like 5 bucks in a body fat calipers get a more accurate reading.
  • michellematteson
    Options
    I have a scale at home that measures body fat percentage. I know that it is not 100% accurate, and some people have stated that it only measures the fat in your lower body. I keep this in mind however and use the number as a guide to see my progress.

So May 1st, I was 38.5% in body fat and 193.4. Today I registered 37.2% body fat and I am at 189.6. So a drop of 1.3% over 3.8 pounds. It will depend on your diet and exercise though how fast you will lose the weight and how much muscle you can keep.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    1-3% sounds good.. I started at 49% and I'm down to 28% :) i guess that puts me at about 3% each month...
  • JessyJ03
    Options
    1-3% sounds good.. I started at 49% and I'm down to 28% :) i guess that puts me at about 3% each month...

Wow hezzie that's great! Congrats.

ScottRy,
    I might do that in the future. For now all I care about is the number going down. The exact number... if it's off a few % doesn't matter too much. As long as I'm heading towards HEALTHY AND FIT!