Is there a healthier way to cook eggs in the morning?

Options
A love a fried egg on a piece of bread early in the morning, but am finding that (calorie-wise) it is really hurting me.

Is there a healthier way of cooking an egg that I can have on my sandwich? My brother-in-law told me scrambled (but I find that scrambled eggs are much too messy for a sandwich.

speaking of bread, sadly-- it looks like I'm slowly going to have to cut that out too. :(

Replies

• psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I will make one egg + one egg white in one of those tiny 3-4-inch frying pans, with Pam spray, and then it comes out in this perfect circle shape and you can put it on those 100-calorie sandwich thins. Sometimes I will add cheese, veggies, spices etc. It's awesome and not that bad for you I think.

I also love hard-boiled eggs and egg whites, now I can even eat them plain without any salt and pepper, no bread. Actually kind of a tasty snack.
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Not to mention any one product or tv show (hope I don't get in trouble)....on Dr. Oz today I think they had some variation of a Ziploc bag. He scrambled 2 eggs and added black beans, cheddar cheese, and some other veggies. Zipped up the bag, put it in the microwave for 1 minute. Took it out of the bag and topped it with salsa & avocado. Quick and NON-MESSY way to get an omelette that you could then put on your toast or eng. muffin.

Not sure what the ziploc bag was but it was specially made for this purpose.
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes do scrambled eggs in the microwave in a little Corningware ramekin. Spray the ramekin and then cook it for about 1 minute. Even sprinkle a tablespoon or two of shredded cheese. Yummy!! You could also do your scrambled eggs and fold them or just use a spray of Pam for your fried eggs. It shouldn't be too hard of a hit on your calories.
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I just looked it up on the internet....it's called Zip & Steam Ziplock bag. Worth a try.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    You can actually scramble an egg in a microwave proof bowl in the mircrowave. It comes out in one round piece and would not fall off your bread. You could size your bowl to you bread. I don't use a spray on my bowl, but if you wanted to you could. I usually just put the bowl in the sink and fill with water until I return home.
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I like microwaving the egg whites (or all of the egg, depending on how many calories I'm alloting for that meal), in one of those plastic fold-over egg cookers. Then I toss it on a tortilla and pour some pico de gallo or mild salsa over the top. Instant yum.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    A love a fried egg on a piece of bread early in the morning, but am finding that (calorie-wise) it is really hurting me.

Is there a healthier way of cooking an egg that I can have on my sandwich? My brother-in-law told me scrambled (but I find that scrambled eggs are much too messy for a sandwich.

speaking of bread, sadly-- it looks like I'm slowly going to have to cut that out too. :(
    buy yourself a non-stick pan... no need for oil or butter
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Fry it in a non-stick pan with no oil/butter

My favourite is poached eggs, I have one 3 times a week for breakfast at least! Really easy, just fill a small pan about 3/4 of an inch with water, add salt and white or malt vinegar and heat. When its just below boiling, crack in your egg. The fresher the egg, the better it will hold together. The salt, vinegar and temperature also help with the holding together - all very important for the perfect poached egg!
  • ncytiz
    ncytiz Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I cook an egg in a coffee mug in the microwave and it's perfect size to put on a whole wheat english muffin. I cook it for 40 seconds in mine and it comes out just right. I guess you could scramble it and cook it that way too, but I just poke the yoke with a toothpick so it doesn't explode and it's like a fried egg. This is one of my regular morning meals. Easy and no mess!
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I make these for my kids all the time. I use 1 slice canadian bacon, THomas 100% whole wheat english muffin, 1 egg, about 1/2 oz sharp cheddar and a handful of baby spinach. It is 275 calories. I used to eat them a lot, but I rarely eat bread now so I just eat everything else and it is 155 cals. I cook the egg in a small Pyrex cup.

http://www.southernplate.com/2010/01/2-minute-english-muffin-breakfast-i-want-to-raise-my-kids-in-a-barn.html

I also always have hard boiled eggs in the fridge for a quick snack
  • LauraRN88
    LauraRN88 Posts: 46
    Options
    I always have eggs in the mornings for breakfast.
    You could try poached egg, omelette or scrambled! When making an omelette or scrambled eggs I always use the 1 cal spray, I can't remember the name of it.
  • dawLs
    dawLs Posts: 84
    Options
    I love fried eggs but I find that poached eggs are just as satisfying, and I actually prefer them now!
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Bake them. Get a couple of small ramekins and bake them in the oven until cooked. They are delicious.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I just taught myself how to poach an egg and it's by far my favorite, and since there aren't any oils or butter it's probably one of the healthiest ways to eat them.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I just taught myself how to poach an egg and it's by far my favorite, and since there aren't any oils or butter it's probably one of the healthiest ways to eat them.

I love a good poached egg too...I've just never tried poaching them myself. I really should...
  • CoachJake83
    CoachJake83 Posts: 108
    Options
    Eggs aren't too bad on calories as they are only 70 a piece, but they're primarily fat and the cholesterol high kind. It's recommended to stay under 300mg of cholesterol daily. I love eggs too though! I cook em' and put em' on toast like you. Sometimes I'd scramble em' and put em' in a sandwhich.

After I learned about the 300mg cholesterol mark though I've cut way back and only have em' on weekends. Bread is high glycemic too and usually has a long list of ingredients / sodium so I cut back on that too. Now it's veggies / sweet potatoes in the morning. Or a protein shake with fruit hehe (naturally flavored whey protein I might add!)

I feel your pain!
  • softdemonplaya
    softdemonplaya Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I poach my eggs and put them on toast... Water has no calories to cook in so i figure i'm good. And them basically come put like a over easy egg.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Spray a bowl with Pam, put in egg, whisk, nuke in microwave. You get an egg about bread sized with no real added fat. I sprinkle in some pepper.

And don't give up bread, just eat healthier bread, anything but wonderbread
  • adavis59
    adavis59 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I also like to eat my "fried/ poached" egg on my toast. I spray the small skillet with Pam, Let my egg cook until the egg whites turn white, then I put 1 Tbls. of cold water around the egg, cover and let the steam finish cooking the yolk. Voila! a "fried/ poached" egg and little calories. Hope you enjoy it!
  • GO_NadZ_xO
    GO_NadZ_xO Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Boil for 5 minutes. Slice. Place on bread. Salt. Pepper. Done :)