First week of Insanity and I gained 3 pounds?

Options
I've been eating better and doing all the exercises but I still gained 3 pounds. It's also that time of the month (sorry TMI) should I be worried or working harder or something? :/

Replies

• laurensohn22
    laurensohn22 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Bump * I just started insanity Monday as well and have gained 2 lbs
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    3 pounds of water... Your muscles will retain water when they are repairing. Also if it's TOM I've heard most women retain extra water then too.

Don't weigh yourself every day, it'll fluctuate.i had a bad sodium day yesterday and weigh a pound more than two days ago. But it's not fat, or food, its probably water.

You would have to eat 3500 calories OVER your TDEE+exercise to gain only one pound. So don't worry about it.
  • miramooo
    miramooo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been doing insanity for almost 4 weeks now and haven't really lost any weight, but I look better.
    I'd give it some time, check how you look in the mirror, not what the scale says.
  • SherriLibrarian
    Options
    I'm doing 30 Day Shred (hope to do Insanity next) and I've gained a couple of pounds. My clothes fit better though. I wish I would have taken measurements before I started.
  • jjean905
    jjean905 Posts: 175
    Options
    don't worry too much about the weight gain. I agree with the above post, it's problem water retention. Your body is going to hold some excess fluid to protect and heal your sore muscles. I'm almost done with week 2 and my clothes are already fitting looser. Give it more time
  • _beautiful_disaster_
    Options
    its probably muscle, i'm starting this monday
  • sarahjuneblanke
    sarahjuneblanke Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    high intensity workouts will build muscle but burn fat. the scale doesnt tell you everything, keep with it. just because you gain weight doesnt mean you gained fat and muscle will burn lots of fat.

In fact , alot of women who diet and excercise but dont strength train will lose water weight and muscle weight. losing muscle weight is not usually what you want...

so dont get caught up in the numbers. If your making healthy habits keep with it and you will see more results you want.

Also, your weight will fluctuate all week if your drinking the proper water so its best at most to weight yourself once a week on the same day. every 2 weeks is recommended.
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It's probably muscle or water weight. I also gained a few pounds when I first started Insanity.
  • smcesko
    smcesko Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I started Ripped in 30 this week and have gained weight as well. UGH! I think it just our body adjusting. I have noticed that when I start something different it takes awhile for my body to adjust. Either I gain or I don't loose anything for 3-4 weeks. Stay at it.!
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    It's water weight. Your muscles are a bit injured if you just started a new program, they aren't used to moving like that. Just a bit of swelling to help them heal. But it will go down. I gained 5 lbs in the first two weeks because of this, but now after 6 weeks I have definitely lost some weight :)
  • Chrisinho
    Chrisinho Posts: 18
    Options
    Insanity is a great program, give your body some time to adjust. Make sure you drink plenty of water and only weight yourself 1 time per week, right when you wake up, as your body will gain a pound of two from water and food as stated above :) by some of the other members.
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,241 Member
    Options
    I did not start to see weight loss until week 4. But I did lose inches and my clothes definitely fit better. Also, I noticed increased stamina & strength. I believe the weight loss will come. Hang in there everyone!