Determining Goal Weight...

Options
I'm having a hard time determining my goal weight. BMI calculator says I need to be 130 lbs to be right at the high end of normal weight. I'm 5'1 and right now I'm 195 lbs. I want to set my goal weight at 150 lbs but then again I want to set it at 140 lbs. This is actually stressing me out. Anyone have any suggestions or input on how to determine a good goal weight?

Friends say to aim for 150 and see how I feel then. But with my height and built I don't feel like it will be much of a loss.

Replies

• Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think the wait and see idea is probably best. I also think it is good to have a lot of goals on the way to keep you motivated. I'm 5 ft 4 and my start weight was 210lb so my first big goal was to get from having an obese BMI to being only "overweight". Once I got there I'm heading for the high end of a healthy BMI (so for me 140lb) Then when I get closer to that I can see if that feel right for me or not. Either way don't stress about it. Any progress towards being healthier is good, just focus on progress for now :smile:
  • sobreit
    sobreit Posts: 5
    Options
    You could also set smaller goals. Lose 10-15 at a time and stop when you are ok with what is going on.
  • wee_emski
    wee_emski Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I personally would aim to go down to the highest weight which is within the 'healthy' range of the BMI, but if it seems too daunting do smaller aims at a time. A lot depends on your frame too. I'm 5 ft 1 with a small frame and I started at 124 pounds but I looked quite blobby and unhealthy. Then I think I had made my goal weight 'too low'. I've compromised and picked one that seems right for me. You can start losing and see what looks and feels 'right' on your frame and body type.
  • dcyr009
    dcyr009 Posts: 93
    Options
    I started at 198 and I'm 5'1. I'm at 126.2 today which is almost 8 months later. My goal is 125.

But, I set my personal goals each month to around 7 pounds. My doctor wanted me to lose the weight so I wouldn't get heart desease and diabetes which runs in my family. If I maintain 125, I most likly will live in to my elderly years without these deseases. I'm 47 now. My doctor hasn't seen me since I was 170. My next appointment is August 15th. I can't wait to see her.
  • rwolfenden
    rwolfenden Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful to set smaller goals of say 5-10% of your body weight at a time, and then seeing how you feel when that is achieved. You can definitely get healthier even with that amount of weight loss.

That said, I found a really cool calculator on the SELF magazine website that determines your "Happy Weight". I think it's pretty accurate for me and other women I know that have tried it. You can find it here: http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/happyweight
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I like the set goals answer but I also agree with your friends. Get to 150 and see how you feel then. Just enjoy this journey, find yourself along the way and have fun with it. it is not worth stressing out over and good luck hun x
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    You know, it's an individual thing. My physician recommended goal weight is 138, the dukan diet on line coaching said 139, and I feel great at 135. (I am 5'8") …

Go for the top of the range, like 149. If you feel good, maintain there a while. if you feel like more weight needs to come off, go for it. If it doesn't feel good, gain a few pounds back.
  • FatAssBecky
    FatAssBecky Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    VERY accurate for me RWolf. I'm 5'7" and I always say that 150 is "my weight" - this site pumped out 149.2 for me. Thanks for sharing!
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time determining my goal weight. BMI calculator says I need to be 130 lbs to be right at the high end of normal weight. I'm 5'1 and right now I'm 195 lbs. I want to set my goal weight at 150 lbs but then again I want to set it at 140 lbs. This is actually stressing me out. Anyone have any suggestions or input on how to determine a good goal weight?

Friends say to aim for 150 and see how I feel then. But with my height and built I don't feel like it will be much of a loss.

45lb weight loss at 5'1 and you you don't feel it will be much of a loss! seems to me you need to re-evaluate.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Bump to explain later
  • hiddensvelte
    hiddensvelte Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing you can do is include your physician with the decision. About my sophomore college year I weighed at 200 for a 5' 8 frame (BMI 29, BF = 18%) and was very active, biking, walking, basketball and racquetball every day and actually eating healthy. I asked for his opinion as I was always "bigger" and he said not to worry about it.

Fast Forward 25 years.....

I was talking to our facility doctor (nice to have perks where the company has a doctor on-site and is available for personal use as well) about weight loss and he mentioned that he was to be at 165 according to the charts. He said he felt terrible at that level and allowed himself to maintain 175 he felt better overall.

BMIs and other indicators are just that--a shortcut method of determining what an INITIAL goal should be. The final goal is something you need to determine.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Hey, girly! We're the same height!!

I agree with the wait and see. Right now, I'm shooting for 140. If I recall, it's either at the highest BMI range for my height and age or slightly over.

It really all depends. Make sure you take measurements, too. You may tone up and look absolutely great and thin at 150, you just never know. It should really be about measurements and how you feel, anyway, not about the number on the scale.

We can do this!
  • CChandler81
    CChandler81 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread about those 5'2' and under: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/530279-weight-loss-before-after-for-5-2-or-shorter. Several on there look AMAZING around the 140 mark b/c of their muscle tone. I was close to 140 a few years ago and still felt like a fat blob. But if I had focused more on weight training, who knows?
    I have my goal at 135, since it's the top end of my BMI. I've weighed much less but I was skinny fat, with no tone whatsoever. So be sure to weight train...even if it's just light weights at home. Interval training or HIIT will get you better results than cardio alone. Focus on your measurements vs the scale.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There are two major factors when you determining your goal weight, lean body mass (determined with your current weight and body fat) and your goal body fat. From here you can derive your ideal weight. The first thing you do is figure out your current body fat percentage (body calipers are the best option if a dexa scan or water emersion is not available) and your current weight. This will allow you to understand how much lean body mass ( everything that isnt fat to include; tissue, muscle, bone) your actually have. Once you figure out your lbm, then you can choose a goal body fat percentage. Depending on how cut or fit you want to look will affect this decision. For me i want abs, so for a man, i need to aim for 6-8%.

With this said, you now have the ability to determine your goal weight. Example, i am 200 lbs @ 12% body fat. My goal is 6% body fat. Below is the calculations to back into your goal weight.

First you need your lbm;

LBM = weight - (weight *body fat %)
    LBM = 200 - (200 *.12) =176

Goal weight = lbm ÷ (1- goal body fat)
    GW = 176 ÷ (1 - .06) = 187
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My goal was to lose 5 lbs. And I did it. Then I wanted to lose another 5 lbs, and so on and so on. Once I started seeing so much progress, I decided I wanted to get down to 170 lbs. Im 5'7" so to be in the "healthy BMI range" I have to get to 160ish. I just take things one day at a time, and when I am finally happy with how I feel and how my body looks, then I will have hit my goal :-)
  • aloha311
    aloha311 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I would say to set your goal at 5-10lbs at a time. That way the weight loss doesn't seem so far off. That being said we are the same height and according to BMI the heaviest weight for healthy is 132lbs.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Why stress? Keep one eye on the measuring tape, the other eye on the mirror and you'll know when you get there. Simple as.
  • Dave_MFP
    Dave_MFP Posts: 32
    Options
    I agree that smaller goals are more achievable and motivating.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

For now, aim for 150. When you get there, reevaluate your goal. By that point you'll have a better idea of what is achievable for your body. It's better to aim for something that feels more attainable and then set a new goal later than it is to set a huge goal that seems impossible.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Im 5'3 on a good day ;) and I determined my "goal weight" by doctors advise and what the "healthy range" for my height is suppose to be (115-140ish) With that being said I dont really look at my over all goal I take it 10Lbs at a time. When I would say I need to lose 140 pounds it seemed like an impossible goal... well now that number is only 45 :)! What ever works for you do that.

I also use clothes as goals. I have a pair of really nice M size workout pants and I want to get into them! (had them for a year now!) I am able to put them on now :D! just a couple more pounds and I can sport them around!