Canned pumpkin in cake mix?

Options
LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
My brother's luau is this weekend, and I'm once again making a sculpted pig cake. Like this:

IMG_1041.jpg

http://www.isthisbliss.com/the-piggie-cake-a-sculpted-cake-tutorial/

I usually add applesauce to cake mixes instead of oil. I just checked, and my applesauce has grown fuzzy. :embarassed: I really don't want to make another trip to the store.

I do have canned pumpkin (no spices added). Can that be used the same way? I'm using a spice cake mix, so the flavor should mesh well, if the flavor would even be detectable.

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I'd use it, shouldn't be much difference in texture if it's not one pre-seasoned for making a pie with.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    My brother's luau is this weekend, and I'm once again making a sculpted pig cake. Like this:

IMG_1041.jpg

http://www.isthisbliss.com/the-piggie-cake-a-sculpted-cake-tutorial/

I usually add applesauce to cake mixes instead of oil. I just checked, and my applesauce has grown fuzzy. :embarassed: I really don't want to make another trip to the store.

I do have canned pumpkin (no spices added). Can that be used the same way? I'm using a spice cake mix, so the flavor should mesh well, if the flavor would even be detectable.
    I'd give it a try for sure
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    That is a badass cake! I was just reading a thread last week that talked about using 1 can of pumpkin to a box of cake mix.
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I've used it before.....works great with a spice or carrot cake mix.
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin and spice cake mix is delicious and moist. Your cake is awesome. :)
  • DollHouseKiera
    Options
    Canned pure pumpkin is undetectable in chocolate cake mix, too...

It makes awesome dense heavy cake though... might be a little more difficult to sculpt it.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    Cake and cupcakes are in the oven.

After I mixed it up, and was stooped down to get my cupcake liners out of the cabinet, I hear a nose behind me. *Om nom nom nom nom....*

My cat Pippin was up on the counter eating the leftover pumpkin out of the can. :ohwell:

Thankfully, he wasn't eating the cake mix out of the bowl. :laugh:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Cake and cupcakes are in the oven.

After I mixed it up, and was stooped down to get my cupcake liners out of the cabinet, I hear a nose behind me. *Om nom nom nom nom....*

My cat Pippin was up on the counter eating the leftover pumpkin out of the can. :ohwell:

Thankfully, he wasn't eating the cake mix out of the bowl. :laugh:

That's funny! My bigger dog would've taken the can and run off with it. I hope you're posting pics when you're done!
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    Of course! I'm going to try to use mini-cupcakes to make a palm tree, too. If it doesn't work, I'll have to consume the evidence. :wink:
  • shadowvampira
    Options
    IT WORKS GREAT IVE USED IT ALOT AND ADDS ALOT OF FIBER AND NUTRIENTS
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Of course! I'm going to try to use mini-cupcakes to make a palm tree, too. If it doesn't work, I'll have to consume the evidence. :wink:

Dang girl, you're good! I have no imagination when it comes to baking.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    The little bits of cake that I shaved off to form the pig were delicious and super moist.

It was actually a butter pecan mix, not spice. And yummy. :smile:
  • semossmoss
    semossmoss Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Canned pumpkin in cake mix is a life saver, and really filling because of the fiber content! We use it all the time with Devil's Food cake (delicious if you don't mind them looking like something that...uh...has seen better days) and spice cake.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Yup! Do it all the time :)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    I just showed my friends this picture and they are super impressed!
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    The cake turned out delicious. :smile:

Assembling the pig and adding a crumb coat layer of frosting:

IMAG0187.jpg

Starting the fondant:

IMAG0190.jpg

Finished with a cupcake palm tree (which eventually collapsed) and a bunch of mini and full sized cupcakes:

IMAG0197.jpg

The cupcakes disappeared fast. Then the next thing I knew, the pig was beheaded. :laugh: Which was STILL not nearly as disturbing-looking as the pig on the grill.

IMAG0204.jpg
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Yeah, I was like Oooooh, how CUTE!!! Then I got to the "real" pig.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    That came out awesome - great job!!
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The lady who made my wedding cake used a spice cake mix with pumpkin to make pumpkin cake - it is DELICIOUS!
  • ccbennett2000
    ccbennett2000 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time in place of the eggs, water and oil. Works beautifully!