Dark Meat is Healthier

Options
sun33082
sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
Funny thing someone told me at work today. Someone told her (and she believed it) that the dark meat of chicken is better for you because that's the muscles the chicken actually moved and therefore worked the "bad stuff" (I'm guessing toxins) out of the tissue. The white meat are the muscles the chicken didn't move and therefore isn't as good for you.

Now if this really is true, feel free to correct me, but the reasoning sounds ridiculous.

Replies

• InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    It certainly is yummier, imo ^_^ I've always been led to believe dark meat is less healthy, but decided to look it up and found this: http://www.fitsugar.com/Turkey-Talk-White-Meat-vs-Dark-Meat-806250

Not as big a difference in calories and fat than I would have guessed.
  • weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I had a laugh at this, her argument is fairly spurious, I don't think muscle usage has much to do with it, however, the basic concept is not completely incorrect.

The following is a quote from a recent article in the Daily Telegraph (UK) about the difference between white and dark meat.

Hope it helps! :D

The bottom line is dark meat chicken still contains more calories and fat than white meat, although dark meat does pack greater nutritional value. If you're watching your weight, you'll probably want to eat mostly white meat chicken. Occasional consumption of dark meat chicken is also a healthy option.
  • sun33082
    Options
    I love both (dark slightly more) and I did look it up and see that dark is more nutritious. Even while she was telling me that it was healthier and I asked "how", I thought she was going to say because it had more nutrients. But instead she said because it moves those muscles more. It took everything I had not to laugh lol
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Nutritional values for a 3 oz. serving size, or 85.05 g, show that light and dark meat have nearly the same calories and protein. However, with 130 calories and 23 g of protein, light meat has 21 fewer calories and 3 g more protein than dark meat, according to the United States Department of Agriculture Nutrient Database. Based upon dietary intake recommendations for protein determined by the Institute of Medicine, you’ll get at least 36 percent of the daily value of protein from one serving of both types of chicken.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/535923-nutrition-for-dark-meat-chicken-vs-light-meat-chicken/#ixzz21mN8npiv

I also have found that dark meat is much more inexpensive than light meat. So even though dark meat has more fat, you don't need to add fat/oil to the pan for cooking. I prefer the taste of dark meat over light meat anyway.
  • sun33082
    Options
    Nutritional values for a 3 oz. serving size, or 85.05 g, show that light and dark meat have nearly the same calories and protein. However, with 130 calories and 23 g of protein, light meat has 21 fewer calories and 3 g more protein than dark meat, according to the United States Department of Agriculture Nutrient Database. Based upon dietary intake recommendations for protein determined by the Institute of Medicine, you’ll get at least 36 percent of the daily value of protein from one serving of both types of chicken.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/535923-nutrition-for-dark-meat-chicken-vs-light-meat-chicken/#ixzz21mN8npiv

I also have found that dark meat is much more inexpensive than light meat. So even though dark meat has more fat, you don't need to add fat/oil to the pan for cooking. I prefer the taste of dark meat over light meat anyway.

No argument there. Not really the point of my post though.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Funny thing someone told me at work today. Someone told her (and she believed it) that the dark meat of chicken is better for you because that's the muscles the chicken actually moved and therefore worked the "bad stuff" (I'm guessing toxins) out of the tissue. The white meat are the muscles the chicken didn't move and therefore isn't as good for you.

Now if this really is true, feel free to correct me, but the reasoning sounds ridiculous.

She's assuming that the chicken moves. I'll stop there.
  • sun33082
    Options

She's assuming that the chicken moves. I'll stop there.

So true.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of chicken thighs because they are CHEAP! I can find them on sale a lot more often as well. I just make sure to make them healthy and use skinless for the majority of meals. Plus, a lot of the recipes I use allow a serving of 2 thighs so it "feels" like I am eating more even if I am not.