Is there a healthier way to cook eggs in the morning?

Options

Replies

• ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I usually have 2 eggs every morning mixed with cheese and I do them in a cup in the microwave-alot easier to clean and faster! This morning I stopped to get more on my way to work and I got 100% egg white-they come in packs already figured out to be equal to 2 eggs and it's only 25 calories. Tasted the same to me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I like baking eggs (I think about 350 for 10-15 minutes?)in a muffin pan and having them on English Muffins. They turn out the perfect size!

I cook a bunch, and then microwave them as needed.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    A love a fried egg on a piece of bread early in the morning, but am finding that (calorie-wise) it is really hurting me.

Is there a healthier way of cooking an egg that I can have on my sandwich? My brother-in-law told me scrambled (but I find that scrambled eggs are much too messy for a sandwich.

speaking of bread, sadly-- it looks like I'm slowly going to have to cut that out too. :(

I don't know... I eat an egg fried in Pam and put it on a piece of Natures Own Butterbread all the time... its 140 calories, That's not bad! I was putting it on wheat toast but... that is higher calorie.
  • gainingalife
    gainingalife Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    poached eggs with runny yoke -- heaven!
  • MorbidNTT
    MorbidNTT Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I fry two eggs (plus 1 eggwhte) and eat with Breakstone Low Fat Cottage Cheese... It's only 378 calories.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    You can make GREAT scrambled eggs in the microwave but you need to add a couple tablespoons of milk to make it happen!
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I fry eggs all the time ... with just a bit of evoo spray in the pan. Cook it over lowish heat. Adds virtually no calories to the egg.

You can also poach. Or you can whip the egg well and pour into a sprayed pan and just let it cook until done (omelet/frittata style). You'd get the flavor or scrambled eggs without the mess.
  • miaannbella
    Options
    Poached eggs are much better for you then fried and its really easy to make:)
  • sarahjuneblanke
    sarahjuneblanke Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    actually, a fried egg on a skillet at home with no oil or anything is only 75 calories (googled) and if you put it on 1 piece of bread thats at the most 275 calories which is just the right amount. breakfast is supposed to sustain you for hours.

I usually have aroun 300-375 calories for breakfast, some carrots of fruit in between with some almonds and then lunch.

If theres any meal of the day you want to go bigger on make it breakfast, if you start out feeling full and satisfied with a healthy higher calorie meal with protein in it, your more likely to eat less thru the day

=)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I scramble 2 eggs and cook omelet style in a really good non-stick pan, no spray or butter needed. Cut it in half and stack on whatever "bread" you are using. It stays together well for a good egg sandwich which I make on a whole wheat English Muffin, only 80 cals. I top it all off with a piece of 2% cheese and sausage patty. for 385 cals, 28 carbs, 17 fat, 31 of protein goodness. yummy.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    try poached eggs, fairly easy and uses no oil. they also sell plastic omelet makers that you put everything in and then put in the microwave
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Eggs aren't too bad on calories as they are only 70 a piece, but they're primarily fat and the cholesterol high kind. It's recommended to stay under 300mg of cholesterol daily. I love eggs too though! I cook em' and put em' on toast like you. Sometimes I'd scramble em' and put em' in a sandwhich.

After I learned about the 300mg cholesterol mark though I've cut way back and only have em' on weekends. Bread is high glycemic too and usually has a long list of ingredients / sodium so I cut back on that too. Now it's veggies / sweet potatoes in the morning. Or a protein shake with fruit hehe (naturally flavored whey protein I might add!)

I feel your pain!

Actually, this eggs / cholesterol thing is quite outdated... Turns out that eggs are very good for the good cholesterol, HDL, so they are fine. It's an easy way to get plenty of really nice nutrient, so no need to restrict them too much.
  • ARyding17
    ARyding17 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    have the fried egg! Just don't use any oil or butter. Spray it with some pam and 'fry' it! And why can't you keep your bread? I eat 45 calorie bread ALOT and I find it tastes fine! :)
  • 0SayWhatSarah0
    Options
    I was recently at the Biggest Loser Resort and the nutritionist there was fabulous. We were taught that you do not need to eliminate bread, etc. from your diet. It is all about moderation and balance, not restriction. If you have a carb, always have a fat or protein with it to balance it out. Plus, you need a 'little' healthy fat in your diet (avocado, olive oil, real butter, etc.)

So just cook your egg in a little bit of extra virgin olive oil (just make sure to measure it out; portion control) and have it on some Ezekial Whole Grain Bread or any Whole Wheat or Whole Grain bread.

My favorite option is using 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites and whisking them together well with some salt and pepper. Then warm up your pan with a little olive oil and make an omelette. You can fold the omelette right up and put it on your bread. It's makes a delicious and filling sandwich! Plus you can load the omelette with veggies! I love adding a little feta cheese, red onions, jalapenos, spinach, and a dash of sriracha sauce for some flavor!

Good luck! Don't give up your beloved eggs and bread. Restriction leads to Rebellion.
  • KerryPayne
    KerryPayne Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yep, poached is the way to go, I use these http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/08/gadgets-hotspot-eggshell-poachers.html never could get the hang of the doing it in water thing.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    my daily breakfast-

1 egg scrambled (spray a bowl with cooking spray, scramble the egg, 55 seconds in the microwave)
    1 arnolds sandwich thins ( I like whole wheat with flax seed) toasted
    1 piece of 2% cheese
    2 slices of the ready cooked bacon- i microwave it on a napkin for 20-25 seconds

Makes a yummy breakfast sandwich for 286 calories and 19 grams of protein
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I vote for frying in a good non-stick pan.
    You could also poach your eggs.
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    I soft boil my egg by putting it in my electric steamer for 10 mins for a large egg, 13 for jumbos. I eat it English style by wacking it with a spoon and ripping off the top. Cut my whole wheat toast in strips and dunk. You might be able to smash this soft egg on to bread for a sandwhich.
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    Egg beaters (Yellow colored egg whites) with low fat cottage cheese. Strain the cottage cheese or the mixture will have too much water. Microwave in a ceramic bowl (glass gets too hot & plastic should not be used to cook food). The egg beaters and cottage cheese are very high in protein and low in calories. For bread, Schwebels has the best low calorie whole wheat bread at 35 calories a slice. Use Olivio butter spray. This whole breakfast is less than 200 calories and VERY filling.

If I have a post work out protein need, I will add a serving or 2 of canned boneless skinless chicken breast (rinsed to lower the sodium - don't want to trigger water retention!). At 45 calories a serving for the chicken, most days I can easily afford 4 oz., or 90 calories.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Spray a microwaveable glass bowl, like a small (1 cup) pyrex bowl, with non-stick cooking spray. Pour a beaten egg into the bowl and put it in the microwave for about 1 minute. Cooks it up perfectly AND it's in the right shape to put in-between slices of bread OR a bagel!