Is there a healthier way to cook eggs in the morning?

Options

Replies

• gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    I hardboil my eggs, put a sprinkle of salt and pepper on them and just cut them in half and put them on my toast. For a sandwich you could slice them!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Just buy an EVOO spray, you don't need much at all, I use it all the time and doesn't really add any calories.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Fry it in a non-stick pan with no oil/butter

This
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I like baking eggs (I think about 350 for 10-15 minutes?)in a muffin pan and having them on English Muffins. They turn out the perfect size!

I cook a bunch, and then microwave them as needed.

Thank you for this great idea! Do you use any spray, or veggie oil, on the muffin pan?
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I use Smart Balance and use just a tad if I'm making an omelette (which I'm still mastering). If I'm doing scrambled, I'll use a butter flavored cooking spray. That not bad in calories...under 300 and pair it with some fresh fruit
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    I forgot all about frittatas until I read the post that said baked. Frittatas are easy and the net is full of recipes. Basically eggs mixed with veg and cheese baked with or without a crust. I use to make them ahead of time in a muffin tin for portions then microwave one each morning.
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Instead of a sandwich, try a whole wheat tortilla and make a breakfast burrito with scrambled eggs and delicious spices and veggies!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Just buy an EVOO spray, you don't need much at all, I use it all the time and doesn't really add any calories.

What is EVOO spray? USA thing?
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    evoo = extra virgin olive oil
  • therighttrack
    therighttrack Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm. I love the yolks runny! I have chickens in the back yard so I get fresh eggs every day. I used to have a fried egg (using olive oil) with toast for breakfast each day (pretty much), but I cut it back because of the cholesterol. Now just a couple times a week. Poached and hard boiled are probably the best for calories though.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I eat two eggs fried in a tsp of coconut oil almost every day - with a slice of whole wheat toast & a bit of butter. Delicious, and coconut oil is a healthy fat.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Use Pam. It doesn't add calories and you can enjoy your fried egg just the same.

I love poached eggs on toast with a dollop of bruschetta !!
  • RuthSweetTooth
    Options
    Hi Amy! I'm sure it's tasty, but from what I just learned, coconut oil is a saturated fat.

To remember the bad fats, I came up with this mnemonic device. Saturated and Trans fats are the ****Ty fats. A little gruesome, but it works.

Mono UN saturated and poly UN saturated (the UN saturated fats) are the good ones, because they have one or more spaces UN filled by hydrogen bonds.

What does your coconut oil label say? Do you have a different kind that has no ****Ty fats? LOL it sounds so weird to say that.

I'll eat some real coconut once in a while because it's so fabulous, but I don't think there are any coconut oils that are good for you. Let me know if you have found something!

Ruth
    I eat two eggs fried in a tsp of coconut oil almost every day - with a slice of whole wheat toast & a bit of butter. Delicious, and coconut oil is a healthy fat.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    Options
    LOL my mnemonic got bleeped. That is hysterical. !!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Hi Amy! I'm sure it's tasty, but from what I just learned, coconut oil is a saturated fat.

To remember the bad fats, I came up with this mnemonic device. Saturated and Trans fats are the ****Ty fats. A little gruesome, but it works.

Mono UN saturated and poly UN saturated (the UN saturated fats) are the good ones, because they have one or more spaces UN filled by hydrogen bonds.

What does your coconut oil label say? Do you have a different kind that has no ****Ty fats? LOL it sounds so weird to say that.

I'll eat some real coconut once in a while because it's so fabulous, but I don't think there are any coconut oils that are good for you. Let me know if you have found something!

Ruth

Seems to depend on who you ask. :tongue: Here's one article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/coconut-oil-benefits_b_821453.html

I use the Organic Virgin Coconut Oil from Trader Joe's.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    A love a fried egg on a piece of bread early in the morning, but am finding that (calorie-wise) it is really hurting me.

Is there a healthier way of cooking an egg that I can have on my sandwich? My brother-in-law told me scrambled (but I find that scrambled eggs are much too messy for a sandwich.

speaking of bread, sadly-- it looks like I'm slowly going to have to cut that out too. :(

I'm not sure why this is hurting you? this morning I had one egg, three more egg whites. fried, on a piece of bread with cheese. there's not a lot of calorie hit there at all.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused how 1 fried egg and toast is unhealthy or too high in calories. Too much butter perhaps? If that is the case, try using one of those olive oil misters (http://www.amazon.com/Misto-Gourmet-Sprayer-Brushed-Aluminum/dp/B00004SPZV) or Pam.

And cut out bread? Why?

Can you open your diary? I'm seeing a red flag here....
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

Ruth

Coconut oil is mostly saturated fat.

In fact it is THE most saturated of all the oils.

And it also happens to be very good for you.

Coconut oil is mostly 'medium chain triglycerides' ... http://www.livestrong.com/article/510928-coconut-oil-medium-chain-triglycerides/

In summary, it can be heated to a high temperature without damaging the structure of the oil (a bad thing) and the energy in the oil is HIGHLY unlikely to be turned into fat due to it's composition. So, it's going to be used as energy, and this is a good thing.

What is wrong with saturated fats? Are you still under the impression that they will 'harden or clog the arteries'? Do you think that the consumption of them will fatten you? Neither is the case.

Trans fats are evil, the rest are natural and perfectly good and essential.

The demonisation of dietary fat is one of the reasons we all got fat.