Too much protein?

Options
So what happens when you consume too much protein? I guess I need to incorporate less meats in my diet?

Replies

• Belligerent_Wombat
    Belligerent_Wombat Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Constipation has been my experience.
  • angleu
    angleu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    are you going by what MFP has set as a default for you? if so please eat more then what it says.. like 30% of your calories =)
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    The guy at my boot camp class just yesterday said that any more than 60 grams a day gets stored as fat. Really? Ok..So here's a question for you....If any more than 60 grams of protein a day gets stored as fat, and my doctor has me eating no more than 50 grams of carbs a day because of my Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and supposedly I shouldn't eat more than 35 grams of fat a day. That would be 240 calories worth of protein, 200 calories worth of carbs, and 315 calories worth of fat for a grand total of 755 calories. What the heck am I supposed to fill in with to even make it to 1200????
  • mrsjarvis11
    mrsjarvis11 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My MFP goal is 64grams. I ate a bit too much today. Things have protein that I was not to well aware of. I hope to just make sure I don't keep going over. Whole point to eat less for me is to lose fat, don't want to eat it back in.
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    The body can only absorb and use around 25 g of protein per serving... the rest is pretty much treated as nutritional waste.

Protein is a very good thing though and part of a healthy diet. My goal is around 60 g a day and the days when I meet goal my body feels better.
  • mrsjarvis11
    Options
    I think it happened today because I started my meals a bit late. I ate first around noon and that was just an apple. Then my first meal was around 4, next meal was around 6:30/7 and then last meal around 9 because I was pushing to not have too few calories. I need to make sure I am eating earlier. That way I am not just packing in calories.
  • angleu
    Options
    I eat over 100g of protein a day with no issues.. I try to eat 30% of my calories in fat and proteins and 40% carbs.. Protein is fine.
  • mrsjarvis11
    Options
    Are you just trying to lose or also bulk up?
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    The body can only absorb and use around 25 g of protein per serving... the rest is pretty much treated as nutritional waste.

There are way too many individual variables affecting absorbtion to make a blanket statement like that. Here is an excellent, thorough study discussing protein absorbtion.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1176257/pdf/jcpsupproyal00002-0034.pdf
  • angleu
    Options
    To lose..

Most recommend eating 0.8 to 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass to help retain lean muscle as you lose weight. If you don't know your body fat% you can try to aim for 0.7 grams per lb of goal weight. So if your goal weight is 125 you should have a minimum protein intake of 88 grams (125*.7). If you are on say 1200 cals/day diet that would be 30% of total calories.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I take in at least 100 grams (today was kinda high at 139 grams)

And NO I'm not bulking. Bulking requires a CALORIE surplus not a Protein surplus.

Adequate protein intake coupled with challenging strength training (no barbie weights) will help minimize muscle loss while dieting. Muscle loss can lead to a decreased metabolism and a "flabbier" appearance at your goal weight.
  • ryanlove12
    ryanlove12 Posts: 20
    Options
    no no no no no no.... protein is ESSENTIAL. this site gives way too many carbs, and not nearly enough protein. I use it as a tool to monitor clients' food, but they follow my meal plan. You should eat 100 g minimum.. and that's if you want to lose weight... Nutrient timing helps, but that is step 1. Hit me up any time for help.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Take a glance at your maintenance protein, then swap back to your normal settings... If I had to go over on any stat it'd be protein(and I do sometimes though not as often since I set it to maintain and manually cut my calories...)
    As long as your protein overage extreme or coming with a fat overage, I wouldn't worry about it... n if it's not over what would be your maintenance protein I would just ignore it.. just my non professional opinion.
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options

There are way too many individual variables affecting absorbtion to make a blanket statement like that. Here is an excellent, thorough study discussing protein absorbtion.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1176257/pdf/jcpsupproyal00002-0034.pdf

Of course there are individual variables... not every one person is the same and I did say "around 25g" not "is 25 g".

A good rule to go by is 30g per sitting and any nutrition expert will tell you that.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Protein is a very good thing though and part of a healthy diet. My goal is around 60 g a day and the days when I meet goal my body feels better.

Probably not entirely true. According to this article, while you may only absorb 20-30 at a time, the excess IS eventually absorbed, and used appropriately, by your body:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-how-much-protein-can-you-absorb-and-use-from-one-meal/#axzz21mjULc98

I have my macros set to 20 carb, 30 prot, 50 fat and often don't hit the prot (especially if it's over 150g), while going over on fat and staying a bit under on carbs. I almost always get over 100g prot though and I'm not having any problems losing weight.
  • thebrianmo
    thebrianmo Posts: 108
    Options
    I eat a very high protein diet, that is what my team of doctors, dieticians, behaviorists and exercise physiologists prescribed for me and I have no problem losing weight. There are several factors involved in the process. 1) In order to do it, I have to stay within my 1200 calorie daily limit. 2) It must be low carb all the way. 3) to keep the extra protein from affecting the kidneys one needs to drink plenty of water, as in 8 glasses per day. Not tea or Crystal Light, but pure, clear, water.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    So what happens when you consume too much protein? I guess I need to incorporate less meats in my diet?

UfiYoTGkgE.gif
  • davisrl0
    davisrl0 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Glad to read this post. I was wondering if I was taking in too much protein. Ive recently started making a point to eat more protein and less carbs. MFP has me at 60g a day, or something, but I usually get close to 90-110g a day. I dont know if that's too much or not but it's what Im doing. Im trying to lose fat but not muscle and still weight train. I have a protein shake after each work out every morning, and then protein with every meal.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

UfiYoTGkgE.gif

I'm not sure if this is a "^this", but I am sure that I agree with that reaction...
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I am also in agreement with those who say that protein is essential. I have read that you should consume at least half your body weight in protein grams. I get a good portion of my protein from clean non-GMO soy protein.
    Protein actually helps you feel full. And actually I am healthier then I have been in years.