Too much protein?

Options

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I am also in agreement with those who say that protein is essential. I have read that you should consume at least half your body weight in protein grams. I get a good portion of my protein from clean non-GMO soy protein.
    Protein actually helps you feel full. And actually I am healthier then I have been in years.

55,000 grams!?

1lb / kg of bodyweight. (lean bodyweight, actually)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Protein is generally not bad... I try to go over on mine.... Protein is essential to muscle growth and maintenance. Without it, a calorie deficit can cause loss of muscle mass and your heart is your most active muscle... Best wishes on your journey...
  • sunnyflower1177
    Options
    i try for about 100g a day and try to keep the carbs to a minimum,
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein, eat more fat, eat less carbs. Otherwise you will gain weight!
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    The guy at my boot camp class just yesterday said that any more than 60 grams a day gets stored as fat. Really? Ok..So here's a question for you....If any more than 60 grams of protein a day gets stored as fat, and my doctor has me eating no more than 50 grams of carbs a day because of my Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and supposedly I shouldn't eat more than 35 grams of fat a day. That would be 240 calories worth of protein, 200 calories worth of carbs, and 315 calories worth of fat for a grand total of 755 calories. What the heck am I supposed to fill in with to even make it to 1200????
  • wingshooter2004
    Options
    To lose..

Most recommend eating 0.8 to 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass to help retain lean muscle as you lose weight. If you don't know your body fat% you can try to aim for 0.7 grams per lb of goal weight. So if your goal weight is 125 you should have a minimum protein intake of 88 grams (125*.7). If you are on say 1200 cals/day diet that would be 30% of total calories.

Lean body mass is not equivalent to total weight. It is only a fraction that you figure out by subtracting body fat%. That being said I am lifting weights and tryng to at least keep if not gain muscle, while losing fat and overall weight at the same time. I eat about double what MFP tells me to eat each day in protein and stay under on overall calories, fat and carbs. I can't say how it works yet as I have only been doing it two weeks, but so far no problems and I lost 7 pounds so far. I get plenty of fiber, so no problems with the bowels. My muscles do seem recover from exercise much quicker than they did before I was on this diet. I have been working out and running for a year or so before I started this diet and it used to take close to 48 hrs for recovery, now usually within 24hrs all soreness is gone and i'm ready to go again. So something is working.
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    The body can only absorb and use around 25 g of protein per serving... the rest is pretty much treated as nutritional waste.

Protein is a very good thing though and part of a healthy diet. My goal is around 60 g a day and the days when I meet goal my body feels better.

Probably not entirely true. According to this article, while you may only absorb 20-30 at a time, the excess IS eventually absorbed, and used appropriately, by your body:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-how-much-protein-can-you-absorb-and-use-from-one-meal/#axzz21mjULc98

I have my macros set to 20 carb, 30 prot, 50 fat and often don't hit the prot (especially if it's over 150g), while going over on fat and staying a bit under on carbs. I almost always get over 100g prot though and I'm not having any problems losing weight.

If you go over a high excessive amount at one time the protein can dump into your kidneys since the body will only absorb so much at one time and if done too often can lead to kidney damage.

There are lots of articles out there that say many different things, but I'd rather be safe now then be sorry tomorrow.

High protein diets/low carb diets are awesome and I used it as my basis to loose my weight and I have been successful. My lab results so far have been great and my cholesterol has been perfect. My goal was anywhere between 60-100 g a day, but I made sure I spread my protein throughout the day and not take in more than I can handle in one sitting.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    High protein doesn't CAUSE kidney damage, but it can be hard for already damaged kidneys to process.

I aim for at least 100g a day.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I try to do 100 g of Protein at a minimum. If I can be 125 to 150 its a good day. Today I didn't hit my goal, but what's great about protein is how filling it is
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    46g is the lowest amount a female adult should eat to avoid nutritional deficiency according to the people who developed the rdi (fda and health canada). If you let mfp set up your profile, go in the red. 1.6g/kg of body weight at least if you are exercising.

Remenber these rdi values are based on averages so if your bigger or taller or more active then average, eat more.
  • wingshooter2004
    Options
    The body can only absorb and use around 25 g of protein per serving... the rest is pretty much treated as nutritional waste.

Protein is a very good thing though and part of a healthy diet. My goal is around 60 g a day and the days when I meet goal my body feels better.

Probably not entirely true. According to this article, while you may only absorb 20-30 at a time, the excess IS eventually absorbed, and used appropriately, by your body:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-how-much-protein-can-you-absorb-and-use-from-one-meal/#axzz21mjULc98

I have my macros set to 20 carb, 30 prot, 50 fat and often don't hit the prot (especially if it's over 150g), while going over on fat and staying a bit under on carbs. I almost always get over 100g prot though and I'm not having any problems losing weight.

If you go over a high excessive amount at one time the protein can dump into your kidneys since the body will only absorb so much at one time and if done too often can lead to kidney damage.

There are lots of articles out there that say many different things, but I'd rather be safe now then be sorry tomorrow.

High protein diets/low carb diets are awesome and I used it as my basis to loose my weight and I have been successful. My lab results so far have been great and my cholesterol has been perfect. My goal was anywhere between 60-100 g a day, but I made sure I spread my protein throughout the day and not take in more than I can handle in one sitting.

I do just over 100 per day and I spread it throughout the day as well. Protein bar or shake in the morning, chicken salad or fish for lunch, protein shake after workout, some meat usually for dinner, but not always. If I have over 100, I just eat carbs for dinner, like rice and wheat bread.
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    High protein doesn't CAUSE kidney damage, but it can be hard for already damaged kidneys to process.

I aim for at least 100g a day.

The Body's Usage
    Your body does not store protein, so you must take in protein each day so the body can use it. Because protein is not stored, it is up to your body, particularly the kidneys, to process proteins and their waste product, known as creatinine, and use what it can, then eliminate the rest. This means you can only use so much protein at a time. If you engage in excess supplementation, your efforts in increasing protein intake could be for naught as the excess unused protein then goes to waste and turns into body fat. No magic number exists for how much protein your body can absorb, but some general guidelines can be followed.

The 30-Gram Rule
    If you are looking for a potential rule of thumb, the 30 g rule might work. It says that at any given meal, you can absorb about 30 g of protein. This calculation could come from the daily protein intake recommendations, which are about 0.4 g of protein per pound of your body weight. If you weighed 150 lbs., this would be about 60 g of protein per day. However, more active individuals eat about 0.8 g of protein per pound of body weight because they need it for muscle growth and maintenance. For a 150 lb. person, this would be about 120 g of protein. If you ate three meals per day and a snack or two, this would spread out to about 30 g of protein per meal and snack. However, this rule is more of an average, not an absolute. Your body might be able to absorb more or potentially less protein.

Warning
    Although it is uncommon, frequent intake of excess protein can lead to conditions such as kidney disease. If you have a condition that affects your liver or kidney function, your physician might likely recommend limiting your protein intake because your body cannot filter as much protein per meal. Talk to your physician about your recommended intake if you have one of these conditions.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    46% is the lowest amount a female adult should eat to avoid nutritional deficiency according to the people who developed the rdi (fda and health canada). If you let mfp set up your profile, go in the red.

46% of what?
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    my trainer has me eat my body weight in lbs converted to g in protein. So 150lbs = 150g (strength training purposes) which does convert to 30% protein for me. 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. It's working for me :)

It is true that at a certain point your body wont absorb it properly, BUT that is why eating protein at every meal is key. It can be absorbed properly if given enough time between meals. 6 small meals a day.

But hey, everyone has their own opinion on this. If you feel like you are eating too much protein, cut back. If you feel like you want that protein, change your settings so you dont feel guilty when seeing red.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    So what happens when you consume too much protein? I guess I need to incorporate less meats in my diet?

UfiYoTGkgE.gif

~ Love it ! ~
  • johnsonjohn
    Options
    bump for later
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    46g is the lowest amount a female adult should eat to avoid nutritional deficiency according to the people who developed the rdi (fda and health canada). If you let mfp set up your profile, go in the red.

46% of what?
    Thank you for catching that. I meant grams. Its edited now
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I switched to 40% protein, 30% fats, 30% carbs, and have been losing steadily. The presets on MFP are really low.
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to keep my net* carbs below 30 grams per day, and getting almost all of my nutrition from protein and fats. Sounds counterproductive, but I'm never hungry before it's time to eat and I'm losing weight more easily than I ever have.

All that to say... I'm not the one to ask if you think you're getting too much protein. On my diet that's almost impossible (though as somebody said above, you still need lots of water).

I'd recommend Gary Taubes' book, "Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It."

http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307949435/ref=tmm_mmp_title_0

(*Net Carbs = Total Carbs - Dietary Fiber)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 140 grams a day... one gram to one pound of my weight. It comes out to I think 35% ....