Numb foot while running

Options
After running/jogging about 1.5 miles, my foot got numb and tingly. Went home took my shoes off and now my foot feels normal. Any ideas on what the problem might be? I'm beginning to enjoy running so I hate to have to stop because of this.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    There are a few things that could be causing this - and one of the simplest to change is how you have laced your shoes.
    Start out by loosening them, if this doesn't help, google different ways to lace your shoes and you'll find lots of advice.

If this doesn't help, it could be your shoes - do you have another pair that you could try out to see if you get the same effect?

Numbness/tingling (and pain) in the ball of your foot can be caused by Morton's neuromas (I sincerely hope this is not it, they are not fun at all) - in which case wider shoes are a good place to start.

Really though, if you think it's not shoe related, it might be wise to get it checked out by a professional.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Good advice already posted. When it happened to me it was just because my shoes were tied too tightly.
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    mine doesnt happen to my entire foot, just the 2 smallest toes on each foot. i had it checked out by a doctor and they said its just compression of a nerve that causes them to lose feeling or tingle. they said as long as the temperature and color of my toes matches the rest of my foot its nothing to worry about. it could be the same thing for you if its not a lacing issue. :)
  • skunkbutt
    skunkbutt Posts: 1
    Options
    This has happened to me when my running shoes were too small AND/OR had too high of arch supports for my feet. Try loosening your laces next time and if that doesn't help, maybe try some different shoes.
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hopefully this is short lived. Some people have this happen when weather is warmer because your feet swell more in the heat, or with humidity. It may also happen due to improper shoe fitting for running - your toes need significant wiggle room. I would get your shoes at a running store where they can really fit you properly. Once you know what you need, you can bargain shop a little more.

I have a Morton's Neuroma that has actually VANISHED (or significantly decreased) with my weight loss and avoided having surgery this summer as a result. Always started out with numbness in the toes and around 1-2 miles in. Later became ball of foot painful. There's a lot of information online about it, but if changing shoes doesn't work, see a podiatrist and there are lots of things they can do before surgery if that's the case.

Good luck!
  • Dayna5K
    Dayna5K Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Limited circulation to the foot is most likely the cause. If the above suggestions don't work, see a healthcare provider for more diagnostic testing.
  • drandprgirl
    Options
    I used to run for my college cross-country team and the same thing would happen to me, only one foot would go numb on long runs. Nothing was wrong with my shoe or laces, we had a full time trainer and went to a special running shoe store. So, I have no real cure, but it happened to me and I dealt with it and paid attention to how my surroundings to avoid a twisted ankle. Good luck.
  • rubymerryn
    Options
    I hate this! I get it when I wear ballet flats to work (no support) and used to get it when I first started running. I was also getting shin-splints and I found they went away when I focused hard on my technique and not just pounding my feet hard down on the pavement/treadmil. Obviously my feet didn't appreciate getting smashed.

Make sure you're stretching your hips and abs and back as well as your legs after a run to ensure those tight muscles don't pinch anything they shouldn't. Good luck!
  • bikechic61
    bikechic61 Posts: 39
    Options
    I used to get that when I was a runner. I wore Nike running shoes that were built on a combination last which meant there was a board in the heel for stability and a seam down the middle on the bottom. it had given me a callous over time which caused some irritation. Now many years later I have arthritis in the ball of my foot and have to wear very expensive bike shoes . I bike a lot and when the shoes get so many miles on them they become squishy and let the pedal press into my foot too much.
  • jrwatson87
    jrwatson87 Posts: 66
    Options
    This would happen to me when I first started exercising but it has since gone away. I hope yours does too!
  • artsykris
    artsykris Posts: 26
    Options
    thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I've had that problem all my life! Loosening shoes doesn't help, and I had a lot of tests done. Finally my friend who's a dr said its the way my nerves are being pinched and it's genetics.

I tried some different shoes and the pair I bought last month, which I got fitted for, did help the problem. It takes a lot longer now before the tingling starts. So I'd suggest trying that, but really I've just been putting up with it for years :-(
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I first started. I have wide feet, and would buy normal-width shoes at big-box stores in a larger size to accommodate the width, but which had a good 3/4" of play in the toes. As such, I used to lace them extremely tight to minimize front-to-back feet movement, which resulted in the numbness. I finally got fitted in a wider, shorter shoe which fit perfectly, such that they almost didn't need to be laced. No issues since. So start with looser lacing as others have said, and maybe a better fitting shoe if the issue continues. Best of luck!