Still considered OBESE!

Options
What do you guys think about the bmi thing? Because holy crap I don't think I look obese anymore... But it says I am... :( I think I could say yes I am overweight still but Obese!!!!!! ugggh, I hate that thing...

Replies

• RCSimmonds
    RCSimmonds Posts: 22
    Options
    No way!! You are not obese! Check your calculations.... You look great.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Take it with a grain of salt. Remember that it's looking at averages, and a pound of fat is larger than a pound of muscle, volume-wise, but both are still a pound. BMI is only looking at height and weight - it doesn't look at muscle versus fat, chest size, or any other indicators. If you feel good and are working toward being healthy, focus on that instead of the numbers.
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    Take the BMI with a grain of salt! It doesn't account for muscle mass or weight distribution.

Example: Terry Crews is 6'2 and weighs 245 pounds. He has a BMI of 31.5, making him "obese", yet he only has 8% body fat.

That may be an extreme example, but it is only to illustrate what I'm talking about.
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I think you look great and definitely not obese, BMI is better used to determine the average of a population and can be thrown off by above average muscle mass. If you goo by either body fat % or measurements to determine your progress, it will be a better gauge of how YOU are doing, which btw looks like pretty awesome :flowerforyou:
  • RebeccaLeinen
    RebeccaLeinen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel... I'm in the best shape of my ADULT life and yet i'm considered obese...keep your head up! you look fantastic
  • LadyRhodes01
    LadyRhodes01 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Not everyone's body type is the same. We don't all fit into that same box. It said I was obese as well. I didn't listen. As long as you feel comfortable and see progress don't listen. You look awesome and are far from obese. Don't let things like that get u down. As females we are hard enough on ourselves. You are your biggest critic. Love what you see when you look in the mirror. You look great.:smile:
  • AussieNisi
    Options
    My sports physician says to basically ignore BMI ... as others have said, muscle weighs more than fat. Focus on fitness and health. You look fabulous!
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    You look great!! Let it go and focus on how you feel!!
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I see this as the opposite in fact... Means I can still lose quite a lot in a healthy way :p
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Obese is a made up word.

You are you, and you are doing something about how much you weigh, the end =]
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    <~~~~~~ BMI says I'm overweight!!! I don't give a *kitten* about it I sure don't feel or look overweight!
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think about the bmi thing? Because holy crap I don't think I look obese anymore... But it says I am... :( I think I could say yes I am overweight still but Obese!!!!!! ugggh, I hate that thing...

The BMI is just there so you can tell it to go *kitten* itself. Keep fighting, and keep punching.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    <~~~~~~ BMI says I'm overweight!!! I don't give a *kitten* about it I sure don't feel or look overweight!

The BMI is wrong because it has not way possible to know that you have really nice butt!
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I mean I feel great about my accomplishment so far, but I can't imagine what kind of bag of bones I would look like if I got to the weight that calculator tells me I should be at... I don't think my body frame would ever reach them numbers, and afraid I would set myself up for failure if I really get down on this whole BMI thing, and really affect my self esteem, so I am so glad I asked about it..
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I'm also "obese" by BMI charts.

The B clearly means "Bullsh!t"
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm also "obese" by BMI charts.

The B clearly means "Bullsh!t"

~ Classic ~
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    take it with a grain of sugar. i'm 5'5 and have a a quite of bit of lean body mass (130-140 pounds depending on the way i measure) . if i put those numbers in according to BMI, my completely 0% fat body would be at 21% on their chart, so yeah i'm pretty sure my goal weight 18% body fat would be teetering very close to obese on that scale
  • emhornshh
    emhornshh Posts: 2
    Options
    judging from that photo you don't look obese at all
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I just recently went from being "grossly obese" to only "obese" according to BMI. :laugh: (I laugh because although I'm overweight, I am by no means obese by any measure other than BMI)

A better measure of your health is waist to height ratio (which is basically a way to measure abdominal fat).

There is also a much better way to calculate your "ideal" weight than BMI - basically you take your lean body mass... then add a healthy percentage of fat.

Lean Body Mass/(1- Desired Body Fat Percentage)

For example, I have 150 lbs of lean body mass. According to the charts (linked below), as a male at my age (26), the middle of the "ideal" range is... around 13%. So... 150/(1-0.13) = 172.5. My ideal weight would be basically between 170-175. That would put me into the "overweight" BMI category at 26.1... however, I have a high amount of lean mass for someone my height (5'8").

tl;dr - BMI is stupid, calculate your ideal

References:
    http://www.builtlean.com/2010/05/04/ideal-body-weight-formula-how-to-calculate-your-ideal-weight/

How to find your desired fat percentage:
    http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I just recently went from being "grossly obese" to only "obese" according to BMI. :laugh: (I laugh because although I'm overweight, I am by no means obese by any measure other than BMI)

A better measure of your health is waist to height ratio (which is basically a way to measure abdominal fat).

There is also a much better way to calculate your "ideal" weight than BMI - basically you take your lean body mass... then add a healthy percentage of fat.

Lean Body Mass/(1- Desired Body Fat Percentage)

For example, I have 150 lbs of lean body mass. According to the charts (linked below), as a male at my age (26), the middle of the "ideal" range is... around 13%. So... 150/(1-0.13) = 172.5. My ideal weight would be basically between 170-175. That would put me into the "overweight" BMI category at 26.1... however, I have a high amount of lean mass for someone my height (5'8").

tl;dr - BMI is stupid, calculate your ideal

References:
    http://www.builtlean.com/2010/05/04/ideal-body-weight-formula-how-to-calculate-your-ideal-weight/

How to find your desired fat percentage:
    http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
    Wow thank you...