Stomach HUGE for my frame 5'3

Options
I'm 5ft 3 I weigh 155, my stomach measures so huge compared to everyone else. I feel like a freak :(
My stomach has always been my big issue, but now after pregnancy, diastasis recti and loose skin, I
am really feeling that surgery may be my only option. The more weight I lose the more wrinkled
and odd my stomach looks. Im so sad.

Replies

• Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I keep debating getting a tummy tuck, because I swear my pouch will never go away!
  • Lissa947
    Lissa947 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi. Keep your chin up! One way or another (through surgery or exercise) you will get there. Though I will say, as I am sure it is, surgery should always be a last resort. Either way, I am sure you are beautiful :bigsmile:
  • chunkytum
    chunkytum Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Danilee

Don't be sad ,please. i have the same issue ( check out my username!!) and after initially sticking to my exercise plan I have lapsed , so have been feeling pretty lousy myself. BUT I know I can tone up , as I did for a special event last year. I didn't get a six pack or anything near it but was sufficiently toned to feel comfortable and look good in nice clothes. ( a bit of post baby flabbiness is a small price to have paid for two lovely daughters - i m sure your baby is super cute too!). I am aiming, like you to get somewhere near "comfortable" again.

Have you tried specific tummy toning classes ? I found those really help.We can motivate each other. Keep smiling- you look really pretty in your photo.
  • danilee1020
    danilee1020 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I;m doing the 30ds, along with the schwinn airdyne/walking. I was doing the airdyne every day but have switched to 3-4x a week. I also am switching the shred to every other day with hab-it which strengthens the pelvic floor. I'm going to try to take walks daily. I gained an inch on my arms and stomach hasn't changed after 31 days of hardcore exercise. It's very stressful trying to get in all the exercise with 3 young kids, so Im going to alternate and not try to work so hard, it's making me a mean mom when Im trying to work out.
  • danilee1020
    Options
    Thank you..
  • danilee1020
    Options
    Thank you, After I reach my goal, probably at 135, I may resort to a mini tuck or lipo or something.
  • giftieetcetera
    giftieetcetera Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have a huge, disproportionate tummy ever since my kids were born. I hope exercise and calorie counting helps. I really would like to wear pants that aren't three sizes bigger purely because of my stomach. But I just keep reminding myself that this is what I got because of my kids. It's a scar of love.
  • MommyofTwinies31
    MommyofTwinies31 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel I have had three kids and the last pregnancy being a set of twins. I have been told that the tummy is the last to go and you just have to keep working at it :)
  • Classyandra
    Classyandra Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I'm 5'1" and I get asked like once a week to once a month when I'm due. It stinks because I'm within 10lbs of my goal weight but this tummy will not budge for me. Not even an inch. Good luck! I hope yours goes away easier than mine!
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    What is smart lipo? I feel I would be completely happy with my body right now if my stomach wasn't so big. I would love to get rid of it. After almost 2.5 yrs of working out I can't get it to go down. I mean it's gone down some but not even close to other people I've seen and compared numbers with.

My husband said I could get a tummy tuck next year if I still can't get it to go down but I really don't want to resort to that because A- I don't want to pay $6,000 for it and B - I want to do it on my own.

I do more weights than cardio since the spring so I'm hoping that will help some.
  • GmanKG
    GmanKG Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Having retired from the Army a few years back many Enlisted women upon their time to get out would do that procedure and many of them would come back to advise me to tell others that there are many advantage and disadvantages to this operation. One of the disadvantages that come with the surgery is the scaring on their stomach that may reside there for weeks or months before the stomach and scares are completely healed. But for far too many women the reward of having a flat stomach just like a model is the best reward of all. Just like any other women they would like to see the reaction of men out in the street, at work, and their better half at home with the new and approved look that they received. This is one operation that you should not take with ease you would need to do a lot of investigating in the doctors and the recovery time which for some can take some time (often months) you would need to recover from the surgery and for many there is numbness??? MFP has helped my wife loose a huge amount of weight and I’m so proud of her please give MFP a chance to help you too with your goals...
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Having retired from the Army a few years back many Enlisted women upon their time to get out would do that procedure and many of them would come back to advise me to tell others that there are many advantage and disadvantages to this operation. One of the disadvantages that come with the surgery is the scaring on their stomach that may reside there for weeks or months before the stomach and scares are completely healed. But for far too many women the reward of having a flat stomach just like a model is the best reward of all. Just like any other women they would like to see the reaction of men out in the street, at work, and their better half at home with the new and approved look that they received. This is one operation that you should not take with ease you would need to do a lot of investigating in the doctors and the recovery time which for some can take some time (often months) you would need to recover from the surgery and for many there is numbness??? MFP has helped my wife loose a huge amount of weight and I’m so proud of her please give MFP a chance to help you too with your goals...

Great feedback. You are right there are many postives and negatives to a surgery like this. Numbness is a big one. I've had a breast reduction in 2003 and I still have some numbness and very bad scaring. Knowing that I myself would be prepared for the same thing to happen if I were to get a tummy tuck.

MFP is a great site and I've met a lot of great people. What I struggle with now is finding what works for me. I was down to 162 at my lowest weight since my early years in high school and now that I started lifting I'm up to about 170 lbs. Granted I'm not a 100% clean eater but I wasn't before when I was on weight watchers and lost 40 lbs to get me to 162. I've been stuck between 165-173 and going up and down since March. I have no idea what to do or how to change this. I am lifting 5 days a week in a circuit type program w/active rests that takes me about an hour to do and then I have cardio - incline walking at 10-12.5 for 20 min or so. I went from trying to eat 1200 - 2000 a day and everywhere in between. I can see gains in muscle in body parts but the scale and measurements aren't going down. Very fraustrating!

And yes - to have a flat stomach or even semi flat would mean the world to me. I just wish I could get there. Everyone says eat clean. Well I'm trying but it's not easy. And I know a lot of women on this site that workout with the same intensity as me and they don't eat clean and they look like awesome.

So what do I do? Keep on this path and hope it works out in the long run? How do I know what to try or what to change?

What is your wife doing?
  • 2011EP
    2011EP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I am only 5'2" and though the weight comes off I still feel my tummy is the worst. Honestly part of it is that I am apple shaped. I gain weight around my tummy and upper body first. Ive been reading a book called the new abs diet that focuses on stomach/waist size and I really recommend it. It talks a lot about how you have to eat clean (12 power foods) that really minimize your waistline. When I was following the books guidelines closely my tummy went in a lot so I'm a firm believer in the book and it's substantiated with tons of great stats and evidence and success stories. Good luck!!
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I don't really have extra fat anywhere else on my body except my belly and a little on the upper part of my stomach. I think I'm 5 or 10 lbs from goal. I'm looking for a weight set so I can do heavy lifting in hopes that will help some. I know my ab muscles are way stronger. But, there is still this soft squishy roll below my belly button. I'm pretty certain there is some fat there but I'm beginning to wonder if it is more of a skin thing. I have never been super overweight but when I was preg my kids stood on my spine and my belly was huge. I'm 4'10.5" so having a 21" baby standing straight out for the last couple months probably stretched things out. I don't think my skin is that stretchy either since my belly is loaded with stretch marks. I'm beginning to think that I just have this saggy belly thing going on and that's that.