EMOTIONAL EATING

Options
Getting down to the bottom of things. Many of the discussions are about the mechanics of loosing weight. The calories and exercises.
There are under lying reasons to why food is our drug of choice. Past hurts, our childhoods, negative and damaging events. etc.
We all have our stuff. I know I am an emotional eater... FLAB = Frustrated... Lonely... Angry... Bored. Does that some like any one you know? Our Societal functions all center around food. Birthdays, Weddings, Anniversaries, holidays... etc. after work stuff everything. We love with food. I know I do. I love to cook and I am a great cook. I have 40 plus people at my house every Christmas!
My trainer told me to get a hobby to fill the time when I feel like mindless eating.

Other than therapy (nothing wrong with that) Any Ideas on what activities/ hobbies one could incorporate?
What do you do when.......you "feel" like eating?

Replies

• Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I made exercise and getting fit my obsession. Worked out 2 hours a day, add that to my job and I was a pooped puppy by the end of the night. May I also recommend taking up a sport (still working out but way more fun than just the gym), dance class, learning a language or a musical instrument?
  • AllDIVA
    AllDIVA Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ANYONE ELSE WITH SUGGESTIONS?
  • frhenderson
    frhenderson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I enjoying crocheting. It keeps my hands busy, so I can't munch.
  • wildwhisper96
    wildwhisper96 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Honestly? It'll be trial and error. Try tons of new things till you find that THING that all off us can find that you'll love and it'll keep you busy(:
  • laurahrmn
    laurahrmn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I take the dogs for a walk, or when I "feel" like eating everything--I grab a glass of water.. I also took up knitting, to keep my hands busy. I sign into MFP and see what's going on on the boards. It keeps me thinking about why I don't want to just eat. I hope this helps, at least a little bit.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I make a weekly list of chores and tackle that when I'm feeling bored and munchy. If there's nothing that needs to be done I read.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    have sex,. that will keep your mouth and hands busy! lol
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Vent in to a punching bag =]
  • AllDIVA
    AllDIVA Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    LOL GOTTA GO NOW! LMAO
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,024 Member
    Options
    I eat too fast, so after I finish dinner while the family is lingering over their food, I do sukodo puzzles. I know, it's bad manners, but it helps keep me from seconds, and I can still chat or watch TV or whatever (but not eat).

Hope that helps. My printer now sends me a new set of puzzles every night around dinner time.
  • Focusisfab
    Focusisfab Posts: 140
    Options
    Vent in to a punching bag =]

LOVE DOING THAT!

I brush my teeth immediately when I want to snack...because I know nothing will be enjoyable, after that.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    those dessert flavored chewing gums...
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Get busy!!! Go for a walk. Talk to a friend. Even watch a movie! Drink water as well.
  • ricagain
    ricagain Posts: 3
    Options
    what i do when i feel like eating is .........eat!........ if you eat thngs like spinach, tomato, clery, cucumber , lettuce with a small
    amount of low cal dressing or spinach sauteed with garlic, things like that you will find they are filling, tasty, and good for you too.