Is there a healthier way to cook eggs in the morning?

Options
124»

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    not all trans fats are bad for you, either.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    not all trans fats are bad for you, either.

Fair call, I am talking about the man-made gunk.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Bump for egg cooking tips!
  • heggleston921
    heggleston921 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I also like to eat my "fried/ poached" egg on my toast. I spray the small skillet with Pam, Let my egg cook until the egg whites turn white, then I put 1 Tbls. of cold water around the egg, cover and let the steam finish cooking the yolk. Voila! a "fried/ poached" egg and little calories. Hope you enjoy it!

^^^This! It's actually called "basted." And it's the perfect way to cook an egg for a sandwich. I do it several times a week. I use that circle ring mold thingy so it's perfect on my whole wheat english muffin or burger bun. I poke the yolk so I don't have a big bump in the middle of my sandwich, but I still only cook til the the yolk is thickened, not runny, not hard. Add Canadian bacon and a little velveeta (it's low in fat!) and this is delicious!
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    A love a fried egg on a piece of bread early in the morning, but am finding that (calorie-wise) it is really hurting me.

Is there a healthier way of cooking an egg that I can have on my sandwich? My brother-in-law told me scrambled (but I find that scrambled eggs are much too messy for a sandwich.

speaking of bread, sadly-- it looks like I'm slowly going to have to cut that out too. :(
    buy yourself a non-stick pan... no need for oil or butter

Get one with a lid. Then, when the egg is partly done add a very small amount of water, cover the pan, and the steam will cook the top of the egg. A nice firm egg to add to a sandwich.
  • lbcbeachbum77
    lbcbeachbum77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Poached is good. This is my fav way to prepare for topping toast :smile:
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Poached is good but if you're keen on frying just use olive oil, it's good for you!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    fry them in a non stick pan or spray a regular pan with some kind of light cooking spray.

you dont have to fry your eggs in lard or butter, ya know :laugh:

and how restrictive is your diet that a piece of 80-100 calorie bread is doing THAT much damage?? :huh:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Microwave for me - I eat 'em almost every morning. 2 to 3 servings of egg whites in a bowl, 60 seconds in the microwave, done. The size is perfect to put on sandwich thins (which I occasionally do), stickage to the bowl is minimal (even without any oil or cooking spray) and they're quick and easy.