Burning calories question

Options
Frelise
Frelise Posts: 80 Member
Let's say I do the elliptical for 10 minutes. The machine says I burned 74, but MFP says it burns 123. Should I change the number to match what the machine says, or is MFP more accurate?

My friend told me that MFP is more accurate because it takes into account your weight (which doesn't make entire sense, since most the equipment has a weigh-in button) but it doesn't account for the resistance & incline... soooo. What do you guys do?

Replies

• JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Honestly, neither number is going to be really accurate. The machines at the gym get all haywire from all the use and don't always take ur heart rate correctly, etc. Mfp is not always correct either because even 2 people weighing the same are not built the same or metabolize the same. My best suggestion is not too worry so much about calories burned as caloric intake and activity level. Calories burned is very subjective
  • Frelise
    Options
    Honestly, neither number is going to be really accurate. The machines at the gym get all haywire from all the use and don't always take ur heart rate correctly, etc. Mfp is not always correct either because even 2 people weighing the same are not built the same or metabolize the same. My best suggestion is not too worry so much about calories burned as caloric intake and activity level. Calories burned is very subjective

Alright, thank you. (: I was just checking, I was starting to feel like maybe I was cheating by going by MFP's since it says I burn a lot more then the machines do! But that's sound advice, I'll do that. (:
  • Officialas
    Officialas Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I would stick to relying on MFP calories burned estimate BUT suggest strongly that you invest in a HRM as this is a much more accurate reading for each individual. I would also suggest, if you do decide to go by MFP calories burned, that you don't eat back all the suggested calories after your workouts as you'll find it CAN be a bit generous and isn't always going to be completely right. :)
  • Frelise
    Options
    I would stick to relying on MFP calories burned estimate BUT suggest strongly that you invest in a HRM as this is a much more accurate reading for each individual. I would also suggest, if you do decide to go by MFP calories burned, that you don't eat back all the suggested calories after your workouts as you'll find it CAN be a bit generous and isn't always going to be completely right. :)

Thank you! :3 May I ask if you know how much HRM are? Do you have one? ^^
  • Officialas
    Officialas Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Thank you! :3 May I ask if you know how much HRM are? Do you have one? ^^

No worries! And yes i do have one :) They tend to vary on price - they can range anywhere from $30 - $600+. My one was $99, which was the 'cheapest' one in my area, and does the job (and extras) just fine! Nothing fancy, so long as it can track specifically your HR and cals burned, any are fine :)
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Let's say I do the elliptical for 10 minutes. The machine says I burned 74, but MFP says it burns 123. Should I change the number to match what the machine says, or is MFP more accurate?

My friend told me that MFP is more accurate because it takes into account your weight (which doesn't make entire sense, since most the equipment has a weigh-in button) but it doesn't account for the resistance & incline... soooo. What do you guys do?

MFP takes your weight into account and your elliptical machine doesn't.
  • Frelise
    Options
    Thanks guys so very much! :) You guys rock. :flowerforyou:
  • Huiminlovesfood
    Options
    My set the resistance level at 3 and my machine actually reflects more calories burned than MFP. I use the calories figure that my elliptical shows but usually only eat back half of my calories burned just to play safe. I don't feel hungry anyways!
  • CHN_
    CHN_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    A note on HRM use. If you have a HRM with a chest strap (which is highly recommended as they are more accurate) some machines will pick up your heart rate from that. The crosstrainer I use will show me my actual HR, so I can see if it changes and I need to focus more on my breathing to keep it level. Also, HRMs will have the most accurate calories used, compated to MFP and the machines at the gym.
  • gabeej
    gabeej Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm so glad someone else asked this! I've been wondering, too!

Although I usually don't eat back any of the calories I burned, so it really doesn't matter...
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hrms have come a long way. I will agree those are best. I want one simply because when u do strength and lifting workouts they will still count ur calories.