Bleeding Nipples

Options
MrAllia
MrAllia Posts: 60 Member
Ok this is an odd but true thing, I notice for the last few weeks that my nipples were sore when I ran. I run on the treadmill at 6.5, 7.0 mph pace for one hour. I have been waring dark shirts. Today however I wore a white shirt and I noticed that when I was done with my workout that there were blood stains that ran down the length of my shirt beginning at my very sore nipples. I realized that this is due to the cotton shirt rubbing against my nipples so frequently that the friction causes chaffing and eventually whittles away the skin entirely. I am thinking about putting on band aids on my nipples before I head out for a workout. Should I lean towards microfiber shirts like those bike jerseys that I have? Has anyone also encountered this problem? I currently have my nipple behind bandages and doused with Neosporin. Any advise on how I should proceed? Thanks!

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I would recommend ditching the cotton for a moisture wicking. Also, if you still are concerned there are many products besides tape that can help. The easiest one I have heard of, but haven't tried, is putting deodorant on you nipples. It won't leave a greasy residue like vaseline or some of the other products out there. Also, may try athletic tape, the white stuff people get ankles taped with. Supposed to come off easy and leave all the nipple:). Good luck though.
  • wingshooter2004
    Options
    Bandaids will work. Just shave the hair around them 1st so they come off with less pain.
  • 4skylarandmia
    Options
    I think you should give your doctor a call, it wouldn't hurt.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    This seems to be a VERY common issue with guys. Band-Aid actually makes special bandaids just for this issue. There is also a product called Nip Guards, I believe. Some guys wear compression tops, too, since they don't slide around and cause the chafing that is drawing blood. The reason women don't suffer from this is that we wear compressive sports bras.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    This is not what I thought it was going to be.
  • MrAllia
    Options
    Wow thanks for the advice you are all very awesome. :)
  • kasiwelte
    kasiwelte Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    3 solutions: Stop wearing cotton and go for a moisture wicking fabric, band-aids over nipples and/or buy Body Glide, it comes in a stick like deodorant and is used to stop chaffing.
  • MrAllia
    Options
    This is not what I thought it was going to be.
    I'm dying to know what you thought it was going to be lol
  • MrAllia
    Options
    This seems to be a VERY common issue with guys. Band-Aid actually makes special bandaids just for this issue. There is also a product called Nip Guards, I believe. Some guys wear compression tops, too, since they don't slide around and cause the chafing that is drawing blood. The reason women don't suffer from this is that we wear compressive sports bras.
    I just picked up a 4 pack of NipEAZE Nipple Protectors Runner prevent chafing; Rash guard; Nipple Concealer, if it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't even have know these existed. Thanks again ^.^
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I was going to second the body glide. be careful with the creams and neosporin though, it will stain your shirts!
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Go with the silky, moisture-wicking style shirts...you'll be much better off, I guarantee it.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Go with the silky, moisture-wicking style shirts...you'll be much better off, I guarantee it.

Plus which, they look so darn cool.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    run shirtless :wink:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Body Glide x 1000!

It's a miracle product that solves many uncomfortable running issues.
  • MrAllia
    Options
    Cool I just picked up two sticks of Body Glide thanks! I have a lot of bicycling jerseys (Live Strong and Cervelo) It has moisture wicking materials, do you think that will work?
  • MrAllia
    Options
    run shirtless :wink:
    Yeah right lol
  • MrAllia
    Options
    I was going to second the body glide. be careful with the creams and neosporin though, it will stain your shirts!
    Got ya, thanks :)
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I use little round band-aids on my man-nips 100% of the time.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I have to use the little round band aids. I get nipple chaffing with moisture wicking nylon t-shirts. I sweat enough the t-shirts get soaked through, so that is part of it as I'm still jiggling and shaking a bit while running. The little dot band aids stay in place and protect. Watch the hair though, as ripping off chest hair is a painful experience.
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You can also get nipple cream that women use for breast feeding! It helps!