Training program or just run as far as possible

Options
Hi all! I have been attempting to jog around my neighborhood park, which is 2 miles long. I am new to running and really bad at the whole breathing correctly bit. Anyway, right now I am just trying to push myself to run straight for farther...the best I have done this week is 1/2 a mile straight.

Questions is: do you think I should just try to keep pushing myself to go further each time or should I try an actual walk/run training program? I want to be able to run these two miles in the next 3-4 months (or shorter). Has anyone had experience with both and what worked? Also, any breathing tips....I have heard inhaling deeply thru the stomach and not chest. but thats hard to do while running imo. Tips would help! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any one "right" answer for everyone - but following a program worked for me.
    I think having a structured program to follow helped me to see where/how I could progress, and having short run intervals at the beginning gave me "permission" to stop and walk and the motivation to keep going because I could see a beginning and an end to each session.

In general, my best advice for getting started is to build up distance gradually (injuries can come if you do too much too soon) and to run slowly at first - work on your breathing and developing strength in your joints and muscles and develop endurance. Speed can come once you have those things happening.

Good luck, taking running has been one of the best things I have ever done!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I have found walk/run interval training programs are the best way to work up your endurance, and also prevent injury.

I never did c25k, I just went out and ran 5km one day, sure it took about 35-40mins, but I did it. My time improved the more I did it.
    I did do the b210k, and then did the runnersworld training to increase to a half marathon distance.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Definitely get a C25k training program. It will work much faster, much easier, won't hurt you. If you just keep blindly trying to run flat out you'll not make much progress. The training programs take 9 weeks..so well under your 3-4 month goal. You will be running 3.1 miles straight by the time you're done with the training.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    When I started running I went around my apartment building, once. It didn't take long for me to increase my distance. Maybe in a week I could go twice. I just kept progressing from there.
    Don't sweat it. Improvement will happen.
    One of the popular fashions of posture, etc., in running is 'Chi running.'
    Here is a short video on what it is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UYkAB18wgs
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    A training program would probably be best. Runners World magazine has some great training ideas. You will learn more about running such as good techniques, common errors and healthy foods to help you run at your best. From there you might possibly fall in love with running and decide to do a 5k, 10k or 1/2 marathon. That's what happened to me and I'm currently training for a full marathon in Lake Tahoe, California scheduled for September 28th. Good luck with your running.
  • JennInMA
    JennInMA Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am very new to running (about 2 weeks in) and what I have been doing is the C25K training program. There is a free app for iPod and I use that. It has you run for a minute then walk ninety seconds, etc...and builds each week. The cool part is that you can repeat weeks if you need or want to. I actually am repeating week one so that I can buid a bit more stamina and move on. My goal is to be able to run for 30 minutes of a 40 minute workout. Right now I can run for 8 minutes out of 40. So...it takes time and practice and a lot of dedication. I like it because I don't feel pressure to run a lot. I alternate running and walking and will continue to build the length of time I run. Next week I am going to run for 90 seconds and walk for 2 minutes....hopefully I will eventually be a person who can run more than a minute without feeling winded!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am very new to running (about 2 weeks in) and what I have been doing is the C25K training program. There is a free app for iPod and I use that. It has you run for a minute then walk ninety seconds, etc...and builds each week. The cool part is that you can repeat weeks if you need or want to. I actually am repeating week one so that I can buid a bit more stamina and move on. My goal is to be able to run for 30 minutes of a 40 minute workout. Right now I can run for 8 minutes out of 40. So...it takes time and practice and a lot of dedication. I like it because I don't feel pressure to run a lot. I alternate running and walking and will continue to build the length of time I run. Next week I am going to run for 90 seconds and walk for 2 minutes....hopefully I will eventually be a person who can run more than a minute without feeling winded!

I'm betting you'll be running much more than a minute without it worrying you soon!
    When I started with C25K, I couldn't complete all 8 running intervals, I had to give up and walk after 6 one minute intervals.
    Now I'm training for a half marathon and ran 16km with just three short walk/water breaks last weekend... anything is possible!!
  • kmalcolm12
    kmalcolm12 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the great responses! I will definitely try a training program since everyone seems to highly recommend them! :)
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi! When I first started running, I found that I got so caught up in distance and breathing that it wasn't all that much fun. So a friend of mine suggested that I try mixing interval training in. It really helped, and before I knew it I wasn't thinking about my breathing, it kind of fell into a rhythm, and my runs were feeling more natural and enjoyable. This is what I did to start with:

1 min - brisk walk
    2/3 min - jog
    1 min - run
    2/3 min - jog
    1 min - brisk walk

If I had a set distance that I wanted to go, I would do the above sequence for as long as it took me to run the distance. Each time I did my run, I would time how long it took me. Because I like to push myself (pretty competitive), I would try to beat my time every run. It got so that I was able to reduce my jog time and slowly increase my run time. Now I "pyramid". Eg:

5 minute warm up (usually a brisk walk or light jog, then stretches - need to warm your muscles BEFORE you stretch, or you are stretching cold and that can lead to injury).
    5 min - jog @ 35% effort (you will get to know what this feels like)
    3 min - jog @ 45%
    2 min - jog @ 55%
    1 min - run @ 65%
    2 min - jog @ 55%
    3 min - jog @ 45%
    5 min - jog @ 35%

I can easily manage a regular 30 minutes most days - and on days where I have a little extra time, I add a minute to each segment. I usually run with my little girl in her jogger, and find it helps to increase the challenge. I LOVE the days I don't have the stroller - makes me feel a little bit like I am weightless. (I wish!!)

I also have a treadmill for rainy days. Never thought I would be a runner, but have become addicted and really notice the days where I can't fit one in. And, honestly, if I can do it, ANYONE can.
  • kmalcolm12
    kmalcolm12 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the video, the chi running is very interesting!
  • icefirekitty
    Options
    I always said my body wasnt made for running. if i ran down my driveway i thought i would die. but i downloaded an running app on my phone and started running around the block, walking around the corners. i could only do a 1/3 of the mile at first. Eventually after taking out my breaks i was able to run a mile. Then i started using a treadmill... on 7. I felt like i was going to DIE. But i told myself, ive already ran a mile. So i can do it. Since then ive dropped the speed to 6 (10 min/mile) and just ran. On that speed, i could breathe easier. I distract myself with the tv, music, thinking, or checking out other people at they gym ;) I realized that while the experiance sucked, it was more of a mental block that kept me from running. I kept stopping myself, when i still had more to give. I covered up the treadmill numbers with a towel... and ran over 2 miles. then 3. then 4. and one day, i ran 6 miles. i ran for straight 60 minutes! i couldnt even run 3 yards two months ago! since then ive been back to just 3-4 miles. Just dont give up, and push yourself. For me, focusing on something other then running is what helps me endure. Good luck!
  • sjewell79
    sjewell79 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I found on pinterest a couch to 5k schedule. I actually started at week 3 because my girlfriend had previously started and i wanted to be on the same schedule. i am currently on a 5 min brisk walk 9 minute jog 5 min walk. I like to take my dog he is encouraging with my speed lol. the first night i thought i would die after 4 minutes now after nine i think i could do more. we found a couple different schedules out there and picked one that we liked the best, it is a 10 week training. we have our 10k plan to start when finished and are shooting for a goal of a half marathon in may of 2012. Its a ways off but we will be more than ready. good luck and just stick with it!
  • smekbeck
    smekbeck Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    what does everyone mean when they write c25k? and what is the name of the app that helps with the training? i looked up running trainer apps and there are tons of em, does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!