How long should you work out a day?

Options
I'm debating between doing 30 minutes 6-7 days a week or 1 hour 4 days a week! Or maybe 30 minutes 3 days a week and an hour 3 days and then a day of rest. Would this be too much?

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on you: what is your current level of fitness? What are these workouts going to be comprised of? Are you going to alternate weights and cardio? Or are you planning on running 6 days a week?

Need more info basically!

You definitely need to work smarter if you want to go at it 6 days a week. Mix up your workouts so you don't work two areas at full intensity two days in a row. Make sure you take at least one rest day a week. Listen to your body, it'll let you know if it's starting to fall apart! If it does, back off for a week and just do something mellow like walking or yoga. Then come back even stronger than before the break. You'll be on fire - unstoppable!

Finally, make sure you adequately fuel your body for the workouts and have something with that 4:1 carb:protein ratio within an hour of working out so you're not to sore the next day for the next workout.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I work out every day, but I stick to 30 minutes of cardio usually. This week I did one day of the stationary bicycle for an hour because I had eaten a bagel and butter for breakfast and needed to compensate for the calories, but usually I stick to the half hour. On the other hand, I'm planning to start doing Zumba again now that my broken wrist is healing. My doctor gave me the go ahead, so I don't know if I will keep up the every day routine. Also, I eventually need to intersperse my cardio with some weight training to get a bit more toned.

I think that all of this is a personal decision based on your energy level, food intake and healthy feelings. I've heard that you're supposed to take a day off now and then to let your body rest, but I haven't been doing that.

Sorry to be all over the place. Hope you can get something out of my rambling post. ;-)
  • kirsty_mc
    kirsty_mc Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 day per week programme and I am in the gym for around 40 mins. I tend to go in, get it done and go. The only time I am longer is when I have the 60 min crossfit class and thats either a Tuesday or Saturday.

My workout schedule is:
    Monday - 30mins personal training
    Tuesday - Either 40 mins straight cardio/crossfit
    Wednesday - Legs and abs
    Thursday - Chest/Arms/Shoulders etc
    Friday - 40mins cardio
    Sat - Either crossfit or an outdoor run

I mix it around if I need to, but I tend to stay of 40mins only. A bit controversial but I hate being in the gym so the harder and smarter I work the better!!
  • ronnio_ron
    ronnio_ron Posts: 61
    Options
    5 days a week...

3 times (minimum) - twice a day of Cardio (mornings) + Weights (evening)
    2 days Cardio only

2 days rest with 1 in middle of week and 1 on Sunday's....works for me well...

timings are 1 to 1.15 hrs on each session , with 10-20mns wastage...