Still considered OBESE!

Options
2»

Replies

• Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    No prob, glad to help. If you have any questions about it, feel free to shoot me a PM. BTW - to answer your original question - there is no way you're obese! :)
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    It drives me crazy. I'm supposedly obese as well! What the heck! I know I'm a bit overweight. But I'm no where near obese. Lol. I am still trying to lose weight but not a LOT of weight either. It's weird.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    BMI is stupid! I am still obese and wear a size 10-12.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    The BMI does not define obesity, the BMI is a very simple (and inaccurate) way of guessing at obesity. In reality you are only obese when you have so much fat that it makes you unhealthy in some way. I absolutely HATE the way the BMI is misused by the medical community as a diagnostic tool on individuals. It was never designed for that purpose and isn't accurate...

As a point of interest, several studies show that the BMI more inaccurate in under-classifying people not over i.e. it often classifies people as "normal" who's BF% is actually at an unhealthy level. That is despite the fact that many people on MFP think any criticism of the BMI comes from people who are in denial about being fat.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    BMI sucks
    I had a review with the trainer in the gym the other week, he still want me to lose a stone in fat but not in weight!(add muscle).

This may still leave me in the lower end of the obese scale or the upper on normal.

He said with my frame and muscle if i went to the recommend level on the scale I would look sick!
  • Sahri21
    Sahri21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I too am obese technically, though very close to the edge. It's VERY frustrating and I think BMI is a horrible self esteem downer.

Judge yourself by your fitness level and Body Fat %.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, we all stress way too much about what the scales say.

Stop worrying; if the scales say you're obese but you can fit into a size 12 (for example) and you feel fit and healthy, then that is what matters.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    i feel like you do im 5 2 and 145lbs now I look ok well I think I do anyway still Im considered at least a stone overweight im fairly fit and eat healthily dont drink or smoke and eat very little junk food now I was 168 lbs in April this year so i have made progress I seem to be stuck on this but do you know what its ok I feel good I feel fit Im certainly not going to eat any less than I do already which is about 1500-1600 a day I do an hours cardio 5 days a week with some weight thrown in 3 days cos I hate weights Im happy here and at this point not too worried what BMI or anything else says.
  • kazoooo8
    kazoooo8 Posts: 71
    Options
    BMI is used alot in the medical industry in billing. The higher the BMI, the more complicated a procedure. Therefore, the doctors put the BMIs in their reports so they can get more money for "complicated procedures".
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    My friends brother applied to be in the Police and they refused his application because they considered him to be obese. He ended up going in to see them as anyone looking at him would see he is all muscle with not a bit of fat on him. Ended up with an interview and getting into the Police.

As everyone else is saying, take it with a pinch of salt. I am in the normal weight for my body range but I bet I have more fat than you so keep doing what you are doing cos it's working and you look great :flowerforyou: