One day at a time- Help with sticking to only one snack

Options
Hello everyone! I have been in MFP for a while but have not been able to really stick to my calorie allowance.
It has been almost 5 years since I have been properly able to stick to a diet plan. I almost feel my willpower doesn't exist anymore.
I need your help! :)

I know that the first few days are always the hardest until you get going and get into a routine.
I find it sooooo difficult not having snacks but I want to be able to go back to having a maximum of one snack a day ONLY. I want to feel I have a structure again and if I can survive in between meal moments I am sure I will lose weight.

I need a challenge to stick to my plan throughout the day. I often forget about it by the afternoon. This is why I started this post. I need to keep motivated throughout the day and keep it in my mind. Once I do this day I will not want to ruin it tomorrow and so on.

Any suggestions? Any motivational tips?

Many many thanks!

Replies

• EnterFitness
    Options
    Technically, you should be eating several healthy snacks per day instead of 'meals'. Snacks, or sometimes referred to as mini-meals might be fruit, nuts, yogurt, cheese. You might consider a healthy breakfast, snack 4- or 5-times during the day and then a small healthy dinner. NO dessert :)
  • FatStoatLondon
    FatStoatLondon Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals a week in advance.
    Throw out anything in the house that doesn't fit in with the plan.
    Don't take any money or credit cards out with you, just the food in your plan in a lunchbox.
    Avoid social occasions.
    Exercise to earn extra calories and eat them, but don't log any walking of less than 20 minutes duration.
    Eat more lean protein. A lot more! Especially at breakfast.

Do this for at least 2 weeks and it might start a habit!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Have a look through your diary and see where you could reduce the calories. I wouldn't agree that limiting yourself to one snack is the answer - but maybe you could choose something different for snacks. 3 custard creams have nearly 200 calories - for less than that you could have a couple of rice cakes topped with spready cheese, a slice of ham and a piece of fruit. And chocolate truffles are difficult to fit into a calorie controlled regime. Sure, have them now and again as a treat, but be aware of what that will do to your diary.

And what's with the "6.99 cream crackers"?
  • lbcbeachbum77
    lbcbeachbum77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Decrease the calorie allowance of your regular meals and allow yourself several snacks daily. This is actually much better for your metabolism and will keep you happy too. Spend a little time figuring out what kind of healthy snacks you like (almonds, berries, yogurt, string cheese, hard boiled eggs, etc) Stock up, then measure individual servings using zip bags for portion control and convenience. If you are craving sweets, start with fruit and a glass of water. If that doesn't do it, earn them by exercising. Always have something available at work, in the car, and purse... don't set yourself up for impulse purchases because you had nothing on hand.

Most of all, don't lose hope. You can do this, and indeed, the first steps are the hardest.
  • fridalondon
    fridalondon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I cant throw things away at home as muy husband who is 6 5" would starve! :)
    I'll increase my protein intake I'd forgotten about that!
  • fridalondon
    Options
    Thanks PrincessMarie
    I like the idea of zip bags. I'll try that.
    Well done on your progress!
  • fridalondon
    Options
    I guess I want to stick to a habit of one snack a day as a way of life.
    If I want to maintain my weight I need to be able to go between meals without having a bit her and there and grazing constantly.

I have lived in London for almost 5 years and have a daily commute of 3 hours per day. Every time I am tired of it I "treat" myself with a snack to make the commute a bit more bearable....
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Drink more water, water water and more water. eat more salad, a bag of salad with no dressing, takes an age to eat, and is good for you, throw in some ham, and an ounce of cheese. and you've a filling meal. Eat cous cous, as a snack, rather than one of your snack bars.
    Get out and walk for an hour every day, burn off some calories, and it will take you away from the food.