Going to a water park tomorrow....

Options
How do I account for the exercise in that? Swimming, slides, ladders, walking, downhill tubing (then walking back up). Not sure what to calulate it as. Help?

TIA

Shawna

Replies

• laxwyo
    laxwyo Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't to tell you the truth. I never account for any activity unless it's straight exercise. I would let those calories go because I'm sure there is a time where I'm laying around doing nothing lol
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • thisisjl
    thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    unless you are giong to a water park that has 5-10 story water slides and you are hoofing it up to the top straight through without stopping to wait in the line 1/2 way up or you are planning on doing hard core swimming I wouldn't count it. I counted going to my water park today because I was in the wave pool for 45 minute treading water and jumping waves trying to keep balanced it was a work out. but I didn't count any of the other stuff we did there.
  • Slimmasaurus
    Slimmasaurus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't to tell you the truth. I never account for any activity unless it's straight exercise. I would let those calories go because I'm sure there is a time where I'm laying around doing nothing lol

I agree, I wouldn't either. Whilst it's not exactly your average day, personally I wouldn't count it as exercise, just daily activity. Maybe just change your daily activity level for the day if you think it's going to be a busy one!

And have fun :D
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Besides, if the water park has a lazy river, that's like losing exercise points even if you don't go on it.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    if u swim for a long time, i would try to log that, but the rest just sorta goes to regular daily activities
  • hellosara08
    hellosara08 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    when i go to special outings (a concert in two days), i don't bother logging it. it makes it feel less fun and i am all about the fun. take a day off from the exercise logging and just enjoy yourself. side note: i can't wait to hit up a water park in a new bikini when i hit my ugw. it's my reward. have fun!
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I go to the beach twice a week with my day camp kids and I don't log the swimming I do there. I only log swimming I do at the gym.

I wouldn't log it either. I only log purposeful exercise.

But, to each his own. If you want to log it go ahead. Just try to make the most of it like walk faster, swim more when you are in the wave pool.......things like that.
  • hanneberries
    hanneberries Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd log it, but at the same time, I wouldn't shy away from having an extra treat or feel guilty if I went over my cals for that day!
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i have had this question also, and no one really could give me an answer. i have been to local waterpark a few times this summer, once with no line, so it was walk up the stairs, go down the ride. and we went on about 25 rides. i ended up not logging it b/c i didn't know how. but i guess you could log it as walking, although you won't really know how far you walked, or log it as stair climbing, but how long? so when stuff like that comes up, for me, i just count it as something extra. i don't usually count part of my everyday routine. like if i walk 3 miles throughout the day at work, i don't log that. and while i don't see the benefit on mfp if i don't log it, i figure my legs were getting stronger and i had to be working off some calories.

have fun.
  • FrankW143
    FrankW143 Posts: 1
    Options
    Being a physio-therapist, i like to tell everyone that cardio-vascular exercise is worth important to maintain internal physique. Best water exercise can be achieved by using swim fins.
  • sbduvall
    sbduvall Posts: 42 Member
    Options

I agree, I wouldn't either. Whilst it's not exactly your average day, personally I wouldn't count it as exercise, just daily activity. Maybe just change your daily activity level for the day if you think it's going to be a busy one!

And have fun :D
    @Slimmasaurus that is a good point. I like that idea. I actually decided to do this for 8 hours INSTEAD of going to the gym for 1 because it keeps it interesting. It is a little disheartening to hear that it won't count as exercise. But I think it makes sense to look at it as an activity.
  • sbduvall
    sbduvall Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @quixoteQ, LOL. You gain calories by riding it I am sure. :)