Healthier Take-Aways

Options
Can anybody suggest healthier take-away food, that would allow me to continue to enjoy take-away food once a week (if that) and still have a relatively healthy and tasty meal?

Much appreciated.

Replies

• HamsterNut
    HamsterNut Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Chinese chop suey :-) without chips or rice. Its literally just veges and meat in a stock/sauce thing so its really low cal but still got that takeaway taste! Its low enough that you could get chips or rice with it and still be ok. Quite nutrittious for takeaway too!
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    I'd have thought curries would be quite good, especially ones not in a yoghurt-based sauce (which would up the cals and fat). Like a lamb balti, that's basically just lean meat and veg! That what I tend to go for. But the sides on indian food get me every time, I CANNOT go without a bit of naan or poppadom D':
  • JDUR19
    JDUR19 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks. Never had a chop-suey before, probably try that tonight. Not a big fan of curries I'm afraid...don't know why...just not :)

Any other ideas guys?
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Tandoori chicken tikka (no sauce) is good as far as takeaways are concerned, I've had that with vege curry and chapati instead of naan or rice. Still really tasty and way less calories!!
  • GemskiB
    GemskiB Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Great thread :) I'm off out for food all weekend this weekend :( My dad is coming to stay and it's his birthday so I'll just have to try and make good choices!
  • maria0104
    maria0104 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think WW could probably help you out, if you google something such as 'propoints mexican food' etc it comes up with their lower point- lower fat/calories take aways. I used to do it, it helps even when you're not on that as a guideline and off the top of my head I remember:

Chicken tikka/tandoori chicken
    Chicken and mushrooms from a chinese
    Miso soup
    Chicken broth (chinese)
    A lot of thai food wasn't particularly bad- spicier the better!

Simple things such as boiled rice over chicken fried rice, loosing the chips, naan bread is particularly bad as well as poppadoms and prawn crackers (once you eat one you can't stop in my opinion!)

Pizza hut/pizza express do lower calorie versions of their pizzas (thinner crusts, not as big)- fill it with veggies and they are quite filling!

Hope it helps
    xx
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    Pizza Express do a Legera Pizza in a few flavours. It's a full size pizza but with the middle out, replaced with salad. Lovely and only 500 cals.
  • muirspud
    muirspud Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken kebabs, salad, no sauce, or add your own sauce if its healthy enough.

Egg foo yung (omelletes from chinese)

I love chinese food, but i gotta stay away from rice, noodles, anything in batter or deep fried. Prawns and seafood dishes are usually better for you than the meat ones. Anything in szechaun sauce will be good for you, as its got veg and spicy as well.
  • JDUR19
    JDUR19 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    More great selections guys, thanks very much! Keep them coming!
  • Aequitas503
    Options
    I don't know if it's only in Australia, but Mad Mex mexican seems to be pretty good calorie wise. I don't know enough about mexican food to know if this translates elsewhere.

They have a nutrition calculator on their website (a fact I'm a huge fan of) and a "naked burrito" (burrito fillings in a bowl without the wrap) with double beef and salsa comes to just 215 calories.
  • caramellattekiss
    caramellattekiss Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you're going with a chain, most of them have nutritional information on their websites now, so you can do some research before you order or head out to dinner.
    Remember the portions are massive! You don't have to eat an entire pizza because it's there.
    Thai is good, lots of their food is very veg heavy so it's easy to avoid excess calories.
    I always find it's the sides that are the killer, so if I just order a main, my calories are generally ok.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Great question!

Grilled chicken kebab! I'm actually having one tonight when I get home. Loads of salad and then I put my own low fat salad cream on when I get home!

Indian - tandoori meat, plain rice and you can order Roti's which is a think bread for about 160 cals rather than a 500 calorie naan.

Pizza - Pizza Express ones are brilliant.