BBC Panorama on Sports Drinks

Options
So I watched a documentary on 'The Truth About Sports Drinks' on BBC's Panorma last night and the bottom line is- it does nothing

to the masses who don't really work out vigorously like athletes.

It doesn't make you fitter, faster than say if you ate a jam sandwich and drank regular water pre/post workout.

Sports Drinks are salted sugared water which has at least 8 teaspoons of sugar!

They said that there has been no scientific evidence to back up Sports Drinks claims.

The same goes for protein shakes.

We are all better off with just sticking to real food! ;-)

All these sports drinks/shakes are just another fashion accessory.

A great money spinning idea!

Anyways, I thought it was interesting.

*Goes off to bin Sculptress*

Replies

• pj27559
    pj27559 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I wasn't particularly suprised at the outcome, most of these products are made by the pharmaceutical industry, the difference being here is a product that doesn't have to go through clinical trails (unlike drugs) and something they can make outrageous claims about without having to provide much in the way of real proof.

I had tried protein supplements and had come to the conclusion that they weren't really benefitting me in any way that I could see, I still have some left and it will get used up when I need the odd snack on the run, as they don't appear to be particularly harmful as such.

The sports drinks I have always been wary of, due to the high sugar content, sugar has always been my problem and I have only lost weight recently due to a significant reduction in refined sugar intake.

The thing is most people want the quick fix and think that these products will give them a shortcut to the body they want, the reality is there are no shortcuts, just consistency and hard work, and time.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I saw the same program, but saw nothing on it about protein shakes.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    the sport drinks I can understand but the protien shakes, I'd like to read/see more about. Here is a link to the article online:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18863293
  • pj27559
    Options
    I saw the same program, but saw nothing on it about protein shakes.

There was only the briefest mention of protein shakes and a couple of pack shots, the main focus seemed to be "sports / energy drinks".

But one of the people doing the research described protein shakes as "an expensive way to buy milk", I think it was probably the only question asked about those particular products as such.

That edition of panorama is still on BBC Iplayer for anyone that still wants to see it.
  • emma155
    emma155 Posts: 152
    Options
    Hi,
    Not surprised. Less is often more. Especially when you are trying to loose weight!
    If you take a sports drink to the gym you will be consuming calories when you are there to burn them! Lucazade Sport is 140cal per bottle which would take 18 mins on the treadmill to burn off. Might no sound like a lot but considering you could have water instead for the same effect???
  • pj27559
    Options
    The "fitness Industry" has to keep brining us new products to keep us interested, one particular manufacturer having sold us all manner of supplements in tablets, capsules, powders, even chewing gum (for weight loss) now promotes a gel that when rubbed into the skin apparently supports muscle growth.

Call me a cynic, but I think I really will pass on this one personally, I may be missing the biggest fitness innovation in the last 50 years, but hey I'll take the risk.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    It will not stop a single person from buying a sport drink or a protein drink. People are for the most sheep and follow what their idols do/eat/drink. Those who care already don’t buy that kind of Junk food. Those that didn’t know don’t care, as [insert sporting/fashion/tv] idol uses it.
    Nothing new was presented, and some inaccurate misleading information on running shoes was presented as fact.
  • pj27559
    Options
    Ultimately if they are buying a product and it makes them happy, then good luck to them.

They can make their choices and I'll make mine, based on my own experience.

Yes the "fitness industry" has created a quite strong fashion element, linking in with sporting celebs etc.

Let's face it, we all see plenty of people in the gym drinking the fashionable sports drinks and wearing the latest sports clothing whilst sitting on a piece of gym equipment not exercising, but checking Facebook on their top of the range mobile. Quite irriatating for those of us who want to get in the gym, get the work done and get home again!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Oooh I heard about this programme. I did always wonder what the benefit of low calorie energy drinks were! ; )
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Oooh I heard about this programme. I did always wonder what the benefit of low calorie energy drinks were! ; )

I loved the bit where they asked they asked the expert about these!

I have apserger's, and when I first saw and read the back of a low calorie lucozade, I had what I'd call a little autistic moment. (Like when Sheldon pauses, unable to move, his face twisted in pain and confusion as the universe has ceased to make sense).