Going to the USofA soon... Yummy Yummy Yummy

Options
Hello,

I'm going on a little trip to the US

- New York for 2 Nights
- Atlanta/Athens for Labour Day Weekend
- Drive up to Raleigh via Savannah & Myrtle Beach.

My time in NYC and the Drive across the Carolinas will obviously require me to eat out a lot, at food places. Now I LOVE American foods, Hot Dogs, Ribs, Burgers, Doughnuts, Pancakes, Waffles.

I'm obviously going to go over my suggested daily calorie intake (1250) for my time over there and its unlikely I will be doing a huge amount of exercise, but can anyone in the states suggest ways of enjoying american fare whilst not being a pig and not completely destroying all my hard work?

- Chris

Replies

• makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have no suggestions, all i want to say is that i'm incredibly jealous you're getting to go to New York!
  • kirkyloon86
    Options
    I've been to NYC a couple of times and I found that you end up walking LOADS!!!
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yea you will be walking alot plus its a holiday enjoy it dont worry about kcals for a week. Chill and enjoy

Also 1250 is very low for a guy espically if your exercising??
  • VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options
    NY is a pure walking environment, you can walk for miles just sight seeing.

Street food in NY is great, so is the pizza, bagels, delis, etc. It's all good!

Atlanta is one of my favorite cities, so many great places to visit and eat. If you like hot dogs, go to the Varsity. You will love it.

I am going to the race in Atlanta over Labor Day, so I can tell you now, the city if FUN that holiday. So many things going on in Atlanta!

I will be going to Five Guys Burgers and also to the Varsity. And the Vortex
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I generally try to get what I want off the kids' menu if they have one or just try to leave some food on the plate but like everyone said, you'll do a lot of walking in NYC and just enjoy it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    it's just about impossible. America is self destructing with the food choices and the portion sizes.

the best you can hope for is to have a short stay here is the land of grease, soy and cotton.

have a good time, eat like a pig and then go home and get back on track.
  • warezWally
    warezWally Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Forgot about the walking in NYC!.. Actually the hotel I'm staying at lets you hire bikes which could be fun :D

I think it might be a bit low too... but I'm maintaining 1250. i.e on Monday I reached 1250 calories, then exercised for about 750 calories worth, and then ate 750's worth...

Meaning I ate in total 2000 calories that day, but used up 750 through exercise.

I don't get too hungry to be honest and when I do I drink water, which is a good thing as I have a tendency to allow myself to be dehydrated most of the time.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    My mom lives in Raleigh, and there are alot of activities there that will ensure you get plenty of exercise. There are alot of museums downtown, which will require alot of walking. Also, if you will be anywhere near Gorman St., make a trip to Lake Johnson. There are walking/jogging trails, canoeing, kayaking, paddle boating, etc... Also, there are picnic shelters with grills, so if you like burgers, you can make your own, giving you more control over how it's made. There is also a fantastic Farmer's Market off of Avent Ferry Rd. where you can buy healthy, farm fresh fruits and veggies, or you can enjoy some homemade baked goods.
  • warezWally
    Options
    Wow! How many responses already!? this is by far the busiest message board (and most helpful, where are the trolls?) I've been on. Cheers for the advice :D
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to stay away from fast food, it typically is not that good anyways (especially if you are used to unprocessed food.) I would try the regional favorites. Pizza in New York. Bbq, peaches and peacans in Georgia. In the Carolinas, again bbq and seafood (some of the best seafood I every had was in Charlestown SC). More than anything, enjoy, but when vacation is done get back to where you were before. I would also suggest if there is not something you are dying to try, make healthy choice (ie if you want pizza for dinner, choose fruit and a protein source. Have fun.
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm obviously going to go over my suggested daily calorie intake (1250) for my time over there and its unlikely I will be doing a huge amount of exercise, but can anyone in the states suggest ways of enjoying american fare whilst not being a pig and not completely destroying all my hard work?

- Chris

i used to live in ny and will be moving back in 6 months, so i'm very familiar with the venues there. to be perfectly honest if you're going to ny, you're gonna have a hard time finding a fast food place because there are so many restaurants in ny all compressed in a small area all wanting a piece of "the big apple". i used to live in brooklyn and the only fast food joint was Wendy's and i only ate there once because there were so many other much better places to eat at. even when i went to work i never saw a fast food place. i would normally eat at the jamaican take-out because i lived in the west indian neighborhood of brooklyn.

i sincerely believe u can eat out in ny and not go over your calorie intake for the day; its possible sodium intake would go over tho. just eat at mom and pops restaurants (which there are plenty of). they probably won't have their nutrition facts listed, but mom and pop chains usually use "home made"-like ingredients and have delicious food and don't leave u feeling nasty after you've eaten it. id have to say its healthier to eat out in nyc than where i am now. right now i'm in va and theres a mcdonalds, burger king, taco bell, wendy's, kfc, etc on every dam corner and not a mom and pop restaurant in sight for miles! and besides, you'll be in nyc ... who eats at fast food places that you can get anywhere in america, when you can enjoy all the tastes of food from around the world at the mom and pops restaurants!
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    If you go to Savannah, then be sure to try Shrimp and Grits or some of the other Low Country favorites. I would suggest you stop in Charleston on the way to Myrtle Beach. There are restaurants like crazy.. and good ones in Charleston.
    Myrtle Beach is very touristy, so eat whatever junk you can find.

Try boiled peanuts. I personally am not a fan of them but if you are down south it is something you should experience. You should do well with Shrimp anywhere in the low country. Seafood is great there.

I have been to all of the places you are going to and there are special flavors in each place. Check it out on some of the travel or food network channels.. or sites to find out where to eat.
    Have fun! Enjoy the culture and don't worry about calories, You will be walking a LOT.
  • warezWally
    Options
    Cool!

I've been hassling various tourist groups on Facebook asking about great spots to go to meet local people. I'm travelling on my own and between seeing family I want to meet and befriend local people. I cant wait to go. Can anyone suggest good places to go in these areas where I'd be greeted with a warm welcome and perhaps not used to floods of tourists dropping in. (I understand a few of the places I'll visit, that will be nearly impossible)
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Last time I was in new york I ate nothing but fried food (school group on a set menu. it was burger and fries, or cheesburger and fries..)

I lost 8lb from the amount of walking. BEST EVER.

Going back in June so this thread will be a good reference for me :p Have an awesome time!
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'm going on vacation to another country soon and here's my plan...

It is all about portion control and activity. Enjoy the foods. You just don't need to eat as if it were your last meal. Be choosy. Maybe you like bread in the bread basket but it doesn't hit your OMG spot. Skip it and pick something that does.

As for activity, stay busy. Walk. Explore. Enjoy.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    How do you plan to get around while in NYC? Most people walk and take the subway. While you are there, unless you plan on shelling out tons of $$$$ taking taxis or the hassle of a rental car, you'll be getting tons of exercise.

Enjoy your trip!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Get lunch size portions if they are available and/or ask for a box beforehand and put half in the box to take with you before you even eat. Portion sizes are outrageous here!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be in Savannah overnight then I highly recommend a night ghost tour...very fun, educational, and even some walking for exercise...plus there's something about night time creepy stuff that makes friends out of strangers...
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Pork BBQ sandwiches in NC. Also, biscuits and gravy for breakfast once you hit the south.

--P
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    not sure on the tourist attractions because when i lived there, i didn't tour anything. lol. theres usually crowds everywhere in manhattan, most dense around working times 7am-6pm, mon-fri, so floods of people might be hard to avoid especially this time of year. my mom came to visit me once and they wanted to go shopping so i took them to the rockefeller center. theres a mall in there amongst other things. could prolly do a google search for other places.