Going to the USofA soon... Yummy Yummy Yummy

Options

Replies

• jazzkat68
    jazzkat68 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    NY is a pure walking environment, you can walk for miles just sight seeing.

Street food in NY is great, so is the pizza, bagels, delis, etc. It's all good!

Atlanta is one of my favorite cities, so many great places to visit and eat. If you like hot dogs, go to the Varsity. You will love it.

I am going to the race in Atlanta over Labor Day, so I can tell you now, the city if FUN that holiday. So many things going on in Atlanta!

I will be going to Five Guys Burgers and also to the Varsity. And the Vortex

Oh yes! The Varsity!! I live in Florida and my coworker, who is from Atlanta, brings me Varisity fare when she visits her parents....its so bad, but SO GOOD! :)
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    For Starters, don't worry about the 1250 this week. Set your goal at 1750 (assuming you normally have a 500 calorie deficit).

FWIW, I went to LA early this summer and gained several pounds. I hit the gym and got back on my routine and shed them in a week without doing anything special. In other words......live life and don't worry about one week. You've got the rest of your life to lose a couple pounds back. Just don't make a habit of gaining weight back.
  • mommymeesh
    mommymeesh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cool!

I've been hassling various tourist groups on Facebook asking about great spots to go to meet local people. I'm travelling on my own and between seeing family I want to meet and befriend local people. I cant wait to go. Can anyone suggest good places to go in these areas where I'd be greeted with a warm welcome and perhaps not used to floods of tourists dropping in. (I understand a few of the places I'll visit, that will be nearly impossible)

Where are you from? Do you have an accent? That will help you make friends - jk ;) Just be friendly and people are typically friendly back.
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    and yea you'll be doing alot of walking so you'll prolly work off the calories jus as fast as u ate it. dont take a car or you'll miss everything and its frustrating to drive in nyc anyways. ull get where u need to go faster by walking, bike or train.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    If you go to Savannah, then be sure to try Shrimp and Grits or some of the other Low Country favorites. I would suggest you stop in Charleston on the way to Myrtle Beach. There are restaurants like crazy.. and good ones in Charleston.
    Myrtle Beach is very touristy, so eat whatever junk you can find.

^^^
    I second this recommendation. Shrimp and Grits is the food of the gods (you can get good versions of it all along the coast from Savannah up to around Myrtle Beach). You might also look for a good oyster roast in the lowcountry, if you like oysters. Also you might try Red Rice when you're in Savannah (a very local specialty), and around Raleigh get the local pulled pork barbecue. You might try The Pit in Raleigh for barbecue ... in that part of NC, the meat isn't cooked with sauce, and the sauce is a vinegar-chili mix with a little tomato in it that you sprinkle on after. If you're near Myrtle Beach, there are some good seafood places down the highway in Murrels Inlet, but I can't say I've ever had a meal in Myrtle Beach that was worth the calories ... though some people swear by the Calabash-style seafood you find around that area.

A lot of the above options aren't particularly great if you're trying to lose weight (there's a reason why you'll see a lot of obese people in the Carolinas), but you can split portions and leave some on your plate. Plus you're not going to be eating that way every meal.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    When you are in Georiga (or any of the southern states) try to find creole food. I was able to get some in Kentucky so I imagine you can in Georgia. Creole has to be the best food we have produced in this country. I would rather eat that than NY Style Pizza any day of the week. Southern BBQ is another that is good. If you are careful you can get diet friendly versions of BBQ.
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Have a great time!!! :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As a guy your caloric intake should not be below 1500 Net. If it is that means your weekly weight loss goal is much to aggressive. I would suggest changing to 1 lb/week instead of 2.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Not eating enough when you have less to lose will lead to the loss of a large % of lean muscle, not just the fat you are looking at losing.

That being said, enjoy your trip.
  • Ticktockman
    Options
    If you go to the Greenwich Village neighborhood in NYC you'll find a lot of great places to eat and drink, plus friendly locals. It's a residential area, unlike midtown or the financial district where most people are working or sightseeing.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    We Americans, sadly, do like to pack in the calories. And to truly experience some of our culinary wonders, well... It won't be easy to stay under calorie budget. The best thing to do in my opinion is totally write off fast food. If you're going to go over, do it in style. And as we all know, fast food has no style, just wasted calories.

NYC is a melting pot of some of USA's best flavors. It's so diverse that you can go to any neighborhood and get something great. Lots of it reflects the ethnicities that helped build the city. So be prepared to find restaurants that actually seem "foreign". It's all part of our melting pot heritage. Bagels, lox and cream cheese, corned beef, pastrami, all are great. New York style pizza is to die for. I always loved New York linguine and clams.

In the southeast, oh boy. Does it get good there. And more true to the region. My favorite is shrimp and grits. You HAVE to have grits. It's quintessential southern food. Barbecue pork or ribs are big. Southerners do amazing things with a pig. Greens. Southerners love their greens. Collards, turnips, it's a nice variety. And fried chicken.

Enjoy your visit to our fair country.
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    When you go to Atlanta check out the Buckhead area its really nice and be sure to visit Twist at the mall. It's a nice trendy place and they have wonderful Martini's and sushi.. The sushi pizza is amazing...

http://h2sr.com/twist/

BTW, Welcome! I hope you have a wonderful time in this beautiful country... :)
  • Shawneb66
    Shawneb66 Posts: 124
    Options
    THIS>>> The Varsity!! My favorite! Grew up in Atlanta and eat there every time I go through Atlanta!
  • warezWally
    warezWally Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Again! Wow... I just popped out for a Subway (Not a regular thing :D and I was sensible) and there are huge responses here, almost too much for me to do now!

In NYC I am staying at "The Jane" which is in the heart of Greenwich Village, apparently. As I previously said the hotel allows bike hire so I will probably take advantage of that and be walking. I will hire a car in Atlanta for the rest of my journey.

Never been a huge fan of seafood, BUT seeing as it's a MUST try its probably about time I grew up and took part!

I truly appreciate all the positive vibes here and has given me a wealth of ideas for my trip :D

I'm from the UK (Sussex) and just finished studying in Portsmouth... So Typical British accent for whoever asked... I've got straight teeth too... Cor' Blimey!
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Order off of the kids menu. They are adult sizes most of the time.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm going on vacation to another country soon and here's my plan...

It is all about portion control and activity. Enjoy the foods. You just don't need to eat as if it were your last meal. Be choosy. Maybe you like bread in the bread basket but it doesn't hit your OMG spot. Skip it and pick something that does.

As for activity, stay busy. Walk. Explore. Enjoy.

This is great advice.

I recently traveled to the UK (London & Manchester) and Iceland for 2 weeks. I enjoyed myself, made as good of choices as possible and walked and biked everywhere (and there were a few nights of dancing as well).

I did gain a couple of pounds but they were gone within 2 weeks of my return home. My weight loss goals were set back 4 weeks in all and you know what? I don't care. I had a damn good time and it was worth every calorie.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    THIS>>> The Varsity!! My favorite! Grew up in Atlanta and eat there every time I go through Atlanta!

The Varsity was also featured on Man Vs. Food not too long ago, so it must be pretty good.
  • SkyPixie
    SkyPixie Posts: 224
    Options
    My recommendation .... take a day off the diet and head to The Pit in Raleigh :bigsmile:

The food is awesome .. I had my birthday dinner there this year and it was worth every single bite:heart:

I have always found the US to be really accommodating when it comes to food just ask for what you don't want to be taken off , added on the side etc

I spent 2 weeks in NC in January and came back 2 pounds lighter and that was not because I didn't eat .. eating well is easier than you think.

Hopefully going back in September :smile:
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself!! Life is short!! BTW, try the BBQ when you are in SC! ;)
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Go to Spanky's in Savannah! It's right on the river and that have great local dishes. It is also know for Paula Dean's restaurant, but you have to wait forever to get in (and personally, I think the food at Spanky's is better). Also, be sure to get a trolly pass. You will usually have to go on a 60-90 minute tour, but that's why you are there anyway. They do everything from sightseeing tours to ghost tours. After the tour, you can use your pass to ride the trolly for the rest of the day. Really nice if it's hot!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    lol someone said boiled peanuts.. ewww! don't do it!

I'd take a run down the boardwalk while you're at Myrtle Beach, you're going to walk your pants off in NYC.. honestly if you walk just about anywhere you vacation, you'll be fine. Eat the "good stuff" but eat small portions of it. Don't deprive yourself totally, it's vacation. :)