UK MFPers - summer weather

Options
Just a quick question of comparison

Do you find that you are retaining water or seeing any differences on the scale with this unusual hot weather. I love the heat but man do I feel bloated and heavier!!M

Replies

• LouiseRose92
    LouiseRose92 Posts: 112
    Options
    I'm heavier but I think it's more that I've been eaing BBQ and sugary ice lollies and drinking :drinker:
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm in Ireland here, but I'm retaining water like a camel as well, it's very frustrating. At least it's just water and it will come off again once the weather (inevitably) cools down again :wink:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    You will definitely hang onto some water (your feet and hands may start to feel a little swollen). Just your body's way of coping with the heat. And of course, in the UK, it's so unusual to actually have sunshine and warmth this year, I reckon our bodies will be totally freaking out.

Up your water intake a little and don't worry too much.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    In Amsterdam - 6 pounds up since the hot weather started ...
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You'd think we'd be dehydrated instead? Surely salt levels get lower when we perspire?

I can't comment on the weight thing though because mine doesn't seem to be moving up or down :-(
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    yup, definitely up a couple of pounds since the heat! i think my body is just in shock! We don't have much to worry about here in the UK though, apparently there's rain on the way....again......surprise surprise!
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    2lbs on this week for no reason, despite drop in body fat of nearly 2% in the past 3 weeks. Rings are tight and shoes are too so it's gotta be water. I am drinking tons - and sweating tons with the exercise - but nevertheless I am hanging onto some it seems!

I had the same problem in Greece on holiday a few weeks back and came back 3.6lbs heavier, but it all went in about 10 days so let's hope the same happens again once this (no soubt short!) summer passes.
  • rachey_v
    rachey_v Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Is that why the scales are so unkind? I'll take that explanation and not weigh myself until Autumn thanks :D
  • TheLittleVoice91
    Options
    where is this hot weather you speak of?
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    All the hot weather (at least in NL) will be gone by tomorrow. Hopefully that'll take my few extra pounds as well :)

But don't worry about it. You're not creating extra fat, you're just hydrated a bit more than usual. So don't trust the scale, trust your healthy eating and exercise.
  • francesiax
    francesiax Posts: 53
    Options
    My ankles are rather large atm LOL
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Oh that didnt occur to me!! I wondered why I was up a pound this week when I've been (mostly) good! Fingers crossed we all shrink again once the rain returns haha xx
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yes to water retention. Boy do I feel fat this week.

Also YES to dehydrating, heat exhaustion, being terribly ill from the heat and ridiculously glad that there's cloud cover today. Come back winter; all is forgiven!
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I must be a freak then I have lost almost 2k in the last 2 weeks and I have been drinking loads i think wednesday I drank almost 8L of water
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Yes to water retention. Boy do I feel fat this week.

Also YES to dehydrating, heat exhaustion, being terribly ill from the heat and ridiculously glad that there's cloud cover today. Come back winter; all is forgiven!

Noooo! There will be no British whining about the sunshine. FFS, you'll scare it away!

I love the heat. I love the sun. I bloody love England when it's like this. I just wish it was like this more.

:-D

In seriousness, one of the reasons, I'm sure, that British people struggle with the heat is a failure to drink enough. The apparent national aversion to water is weird to me. Increase your liquid intake and you'll be much more comfortable. It's not hot enough for heat exhaustion - you're just not drinking enough!
  • Stuz359
    Stuz359 Posts: 81
    Options
    Scale moved up a couple of ounces, thought it might be water retention. Feeling slightly bloated, but every workout I do I am absolutely drenched in sweat, it's just not attractive.
  • CaralynH
    CaralynH Posts: 18
    Options
    Nope, still losing here. I ate over my calories yesterday so went for a run in the heat when I got home at 7pm (ugh, too hot, only did 5k) then partner and his Dad came in and we all went to the pub. Ooops. Altogether 300 cals over (still way under TDEE though), drank loads of water, and had lost this morning. Keep well hydrated to flush your system out and the programme should still work. I think one reason it's easy to gain is it being SO hard to exercise in the heat!
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    But I want the sun to stay :frown:
  • lorforde
    lorforde Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I NEED the sun to stay as getting married in 12 days!
    Judging from today though, it looks like my outside wedding will be a far away dream lol. I'm in Surrey and as been SO hot! Yesterday was 30 degrees and even too hot for me and my toddler to be out in.

I have increased my water intake and have dropped back a few pounds so thank you for the advise all...lets hope it is just the water retention for us all hehe

Fingers crosse for you all and appreciate the awesome replies :flowerforyou:
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!