What weight of dumbells should I be using? (Female)

Options
Hi,

As a beginner to exercise in my adult life I have been building my stamina with increasing levels of stationary bike work outs and walking. I can't do very much more high impact than those exercises as I have very large breasts.

I am aware that although I am seeing a great difference with the cardio, I am not really working my upper body and so I am wanting to purchase some dumbells to start working and toning my top half without building too much excess muscle.

Can anyone advise me what weights to go for?

I have been looking at sets for sale similar to this....

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3024399/Trail/searchtext>DUMBELLS.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

Many thanks in advance.

Elaine x

Replies

• Porcelaine22
    Porcelaine22 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    I can just tell you what I did when I started strength training. I began at the bottom with 1, 2 and 3 lb dumbbells. I then worked my way up to 3, 5 and 8 lbs then 8, 10, and 12 lbs dumbbells which is what I use currently. My next purchase will be a set of 15 lbs dumbbells but I'm not ready for them yet but I will be before the end of this year.

The link you posted look like good starter sets but I don't know kg sorry lol
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    to start as a beginner you dont need to buy anything. start doing push ups (google beginner push ups) start doing lunges (yes they are hard and awkward but they work) start slowly with the body weight exercises.

when you can do 20 regular push ups and 40 alternating lunges, then think about getting some weights.

good luck
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You should try out different weights before you purchase if possible. You will not put on excess muscle with "heavy" weights...I promise! I personally think you should lift as heavy as you can for 10 reps x 3 sets. You'll need lower weights for shoulder/delt work, but you likely should be using higher weights for bicep curls, tricep extension, back rows, etc. Don't sell yourself short and go with light weights for everything...you won't see the changes that you want if you don't pick up more than 5lbs.

Best of luck as you continue on your journey!!
  • MeEthel
    MeEthel Posts: 8
    Options
    9kg isn't much, but it's a start. I started out with bodyweight exercises like pushups and pullups but they got too easy eventually. Now I do weights and can do a 100 lb overhead press. That's how I got all my arm muscles. If you want to look good, you have to work very hard! Still, a little weight is better than no weight at all, but I think you should look at something a little heavier. Just because you're a girl doesn't mean you can't outlift the guys and still look good!
  • HamsterNut
    HamsterNut Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think you would grow out of that set pretty quickly and you can just add more weights on.

The max weight in that one is 4.5 kg per arm

http://www.tesco.com/direct/one-body-15kg-vinyl-dumbell-set/208-7935.prd?skuId=208-7935&pageLevel= I have these and its upto 7.5 kg per arm but you could have them as little as 2kg per arm if you wanted too! You can buy more heavier weights to add on to these as well and they're cheap! Im picking mine up tonight so ill report back!

I also cant really do high impact cardio, but this is due to joint problems
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have a set of 5, 10 and 12lb weights. You can also get a set of 3lb. I would suggest working with whatever you feel comfortable with until you can increase safely to heavier weights. Strength training is an excellent addition to your work out schedule and will increase your metabolism.

Good Luck and have fun.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    A weight that you can do for approximately 6-8 reps is usually seen as optimal. The last 1-2 reps should be a struggle while maintaining good form.

You won't build excess muscle, as a female that's extremely hard and usually requires a calorie surplus.

If I were you, as you won't know yet what weight is suitable for you yet (everyone is different and has differing starting strength levels) I would buy adjustable dumbells - empty dumbell bars, with plates that range from 0.5kg - 10kg.
    They sell these in Argos. That way you can trial and error yourself, and also, as you get stronger over time, you will not be limited to fixed weight dumbells that would then be of no use as they're too light :)
  • TheLessOfMe
    TheLessOfMe Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi I just started using some 2lb weights i picked up in TK Maxx. They're light enough to not be too strenuous but heavy enough for me to feel it a little if I'm doing the exercise correctly! :)
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    A weight that you can do for approximately 6-8 reps is usually seen as optimal. The last 1-2 reps should be a struggle while maintaining good form.

You won't build excess muscle, as a female that's extremely hard and usually requires a calorie surplus.

If I were you, as you won't know yet what weight is suitable for you yet (everyone is different and has differing starting strength levels) I would buy adjustable dumbells - empty dumbell bars, with plates that range from 0.5kg - 10kg.
    They sell these in Argos. That way you can trial and error yourself, and also, as you get stronger over time, you will not be limited to fixed weight dumbells that would then be of no use as they're too light :)

This
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money on that set.
    I'd say get this set, so you can change the weight for different exercises. Don't be scared, you can start with a weight your comfortable with & you can always add more weight when you need more of a challenge. :flowerforyou:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3008243.htm#pdpProductReviews
  • siwelh
    siwelh Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lauren, 100%. btw, I felt like I couldn't do much cardio either- b/c of my breasts- but the Enell bra was a miracle. I've lost almost 90 lbs and I don't think I could have done it without that bra! Though now I have c cups and don't need the Enell anymore (whoo hoo- I can now buy bras in a store!!) Keep at it, the rewards are SO worth it!

ps- i second buying equipment at tjmaxx/marshalls/homegoods
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    My opinion is, if you are going to stick with it long term, invest in adjustable weights, if it's in your budget. Or a nice rack of weights but that takes up a lot of room.

BUT, that's my opinion, I'm not anybody really knowledgeable on fitness,etc. I just really like my weights.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money on that set.
    I'd say get this set, so you can change the weight for different exercises. Don't be scared, you can start with a weight your comfortable with & you can always add more weight when you need more of a challenge. :flowerforyou:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3008243.htm#pdpProductReviews

I was going to link to these after I read OPs post.

This is what I started with.

Adjustable is the way forward.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Just regarding your 'large breasts = low impact' comment... Get a good bra (shock absorber for instance). Don't let the boobies hold you back. I'm a GG / H cup and I run.

(And I agree, that set's too little)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    There's lots of gyms in Aberdeen for you to go to.