Low fat, Low Calorie Easy Chicken Salad

Options
For me, preparation is the key to success. To be able to make a meal that has multiple servings for the week helps me make good choices. Here is a quick recipe that costs about $6 to make 5 servings and it is easy to transport for lunches.

Sometimes I will eat this on a wasa crisp but I generally add it to a green salad to keep from adding extra calories and carbs. It all depends on what I am planning for dinner.

Makes 5 Servings

Per Serving:
112 Calories
2 Grams of Fat
4 Carbs
20 Grams of Protein

2 - 10oz Cans Great Value Chunk Chicken Breast
1/4 Cup Chopped Red Pepper
1/2 Cup Chopped Yellow Onion
1/2 Medium Stalk Celery
3 Oz Cabot Low Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
4 Tsp. Yellow or Deli Mustard
1 1/2 Tbsp. Dill Relish
2 Tsp. Salt
1/2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
4 Tsp. Black Pepper

For even lower carbs, omit onion (saves 11 carbs or two carbs per serving). For about 6 less calories per serving or for less tangy taste substitute Kraft Fat Free Mayo for the greek yogurt.

Open, drain, rinse and drain cans of chicken. Place chicken in a mixing bowl. Chop vegetables finely and add to chicken. Salt, Pepper, and Garlic to taste (the measurements are what I use). Add Greek Yogurt (or Fat Free Mayo), mustard, and dill relish. Stir well. Refrigerate unused portions.

Replies

• laurahrmn
    laurahrmn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    kraft and helmans both make low fat mayo with olive oil. I could not imagine replacing good ol mayo with yogurt- otherwise this sounded good.
    Oh the mayo is light- at 45 calories a tablespoon and find in my egg salad its more than enough.
  • kadinlucas
    kadinlucas Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Cans of chicken breast? Don't mean any disrespect but that sounds gross. If you are preparing something that is going to last you 5 meals couldn't you cook up some fresh chicken breast?
  • mrnls
    mrnls Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ChrisAbston
    Options
    Well, I didn't expect negativity on here but oh well. The deal with the canned chicken is to be able to prepare 5 meals in a matter of about 10 minutes... This is convenient when spending time with my wife and daughter most of the time takes precedence over cooking. As far as the Mayo, I put it in as a reference for people who would not want to try the greek yogurt. Fat free mayo is really bland but the greek yogurt gives a tang much like miracle whip gives.

Do us all a favor, if you don't have something constructive to add, please keep your negative comments to yourself!
  • JoAlberts
    JoAlberts Posts: 34
    Options
    Ewwww, I didn't know you could get chicken breast in a can (I'm from the UK). Is it in brine or something?
  • kim_maxcreek
    kim_maxcreek Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Why is chicken in a can so weird? People eat tuna out of a can. I've used it several times when a recipe calls for chopped chicken and I don't have a lot of time.
  • AngelaV75
    AngelaV75 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That sounds really good. I'm going to try it today. I've actually never tried the greek yogurt, but if it can be a substitute for miracle whip, it's worth a shot:smile:
  • Newfunlander
    Newfunlander Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Bump ! :)

Chicken breast in a can is actually quite good. Don't knock it until you have tried it ! LOL
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!!! I use greek yogurt all the time in place of mayo or even sour cream, my family doesn't notice the difference and it's better for them.....I also use canned chicken with low sodium taco seasoning for my tacos....delish!!!!

Thanks for the post!!
  • katfit12
    katfit12 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you! Sounds great!
  • Sweetsys
    Sweetsys Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!