Runners - need stretching advice PLEASE :D

Options
DMUND
DMUND Posts: 299 Member
Calling all you conditioned runners....I'm just starting to get into running. Still jog/walking. When I go out, I do a 5K. Usually around 45 minutes (I know...slow...but hey, I don't quit!).

Anyways...here's my issue. I am a terrible stretcher!! Basically, I never have been one to warm-up/stretch/cool-down....I know in my head that I really should. Do you have any tricks that will help me incorporate stretching into my daily routine??

What stretches/warm-ups do you do prior to your runs and what do you after your runs?

Any and all advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

ps. feel free to add me as a friend if you'd love to help coach me into becoming a seasoned runner!!!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Static stretching is not recommended before running. This is a good way to pull a muscle. Doing some dynamic movements is suggested by some. Other say to do easy running before doing the dynamic stretches. I used to do them prior to running but stopped because of the time it was taking and I have seen no detrimental effects from not doing them.

I always start out slowly for the first mile or so. My body just won't go, so this helps. It takes some time to get into the groove. If you are running easy, I see no harm in not doing any dynamic movements prior to running. Of course, if you get part way into your run and something feels tight, stop and stretch it.

After a run, I stretch calves and IT Band as those are the two areas that I have had trouble with in the past. Just a few quick stretches, maybe 6 minutes worth, and that's it.
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    When I first started running seriously a year ago, I would get terrible shin splints so I quickly learned I had to stretch my calfs. I usually will walk for 4-6 minutes then find a tree or guiderail. I will put one foot up on tree and bend knee and lean in. Repeat on other side. Then I reach behind me and hold foot and stretch out my quads. I also touch my toes to stretch hamstrings and I finish with "hip circles". If I dont stretch I feel all stiff while running. Also start SLOW and work your way up. By the end of my run I can go faster.
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    I start and end EVERY run with a 5 minute fast paced walk. I never get cramps or tightness and I run 4-5 miles almost every day.

Also, I whenever I find myself standing still throughout the day, I do toe lifts. It's great for strengthening the arch of your foot and your shins!
  • deepfuture
    deepfuture Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do about 5 minutes before and after a run .. Maybe have a look here for ideas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kju1-DGUro8
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm working my way back to running after a bout with the dreaded runners knee. I'm in physical therapy now, and they are really emphasizing stretching. Everyone is different, and where and what you need to stretch may vary - I defer to Carson on everything running! - but my PT is emphasizing IT band, quad and calf stretching prior to setting me loose on the treadmill. A foam roller will help with IT band. He also has me do some dynamic stretching. I like these because I can do them while I'm walking to where I begin running. It only takes a couple of minutes to incorporate 6-8 stretches into your pre-run routine. And, as Carson says, start slow to give your body a chance to warm up. Good luck and happy running!!!!
  • DMUND
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I grendel322, I do have a foam roaller and I love it!! I just need to get it out and use it more!! Great suggestion! Deepfuture, I will check out the link....thanks much!!!

Thanks to everyone else who has commented!! I know it's slow going, but I want to be able to get "there" the right way and not push myself into injury.

You guys/gals rock!!!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I usually stretch my legs quickly(ham strings, quads, and calves) and than go. I have never really been a big stretcher. Find what works for you, everyone is different.
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I walk at 4.0 three minutes before and about 10-15 after my run. Walking is underestimated and can quickly warm up your muscles.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I warm up walk 1/2 mile before my run and cool down 1/2 mile walk after my run THEN I stretch with out fail when all my muscles are good and warm. I count to 20 for each stretch. Runners lunge stretch,toe touch each leg then between legs on ground. Back stretch and upper thigh stretch. Up on toes for my calves then up on heels. Then I rotate my ankles around for a count of 5 clockwise and counter clock wise. Happy running!
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    @DMUND: If you have a foam roller and you love it, you're not doing it right. LOL! Just kidding, I have a serious love/hate relationship with mine. What is that saying, it hurts so good? :) Here is a link to some "dynamic stretches for runners" on Runners World.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-287--13442-0,00.html

Cheers!
  • DMUND
    Options
    @DMUND: If you have a foam roller and you love it, you're not doing it right. LOL! Just kidding, I have a serious love/hate relationship with mine. What is that saying, it hurts so good? :) Here is a link to some "dynamic stretches for runners" on Runners World.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-287--13442-0,00.html

Cheers!

Haha...too funny! I love getting to that spot that hurts so much it takes your breath away and then you make yourself breathe and the pain diminishes....LOVE!!! I totally know about the love/hate relationship with it!!

Thanks for the linke....will check it out!
  • DMUND
    Options
    I warm up walk 1/2 mile before my run and cool down 1/2 mile walk after my run THEN I stretch with out fail when all my muscles are good and warm. I count to 20 for each stretch. Runners lunge stretch,toe touch each leg then between legs on ground. Back stretch and upper thigh stretch. Up on toes for my calves then up on heels. Then I rotate my ankles around for a count of 5 clockwise and counter clock wise. Happy running!

Thanks for the descriptive message! You rock!