put it back on :(

Options
Dunno what's happened!! Since I joined in June I've been under my calorie goal every day except one. I've been doing regular exercise and a lot of physical work this last couple of weeks. This morning I weigh myself and there it is - the 2lbs I'd lost have gone back on and I have no idea why.

Any ideas?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't panic, if you've been exercising and doing more physical activity than usual you may be retaining water in your muscles as they heal after the exercise.
    Keep up the good habits and you'll see the scales change over time. Measuring yourself is a good way to track your progress too.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    exactly the same as me. now into week 4 and not lost a single gram. That must be some stubborn water i'm hanging onto lol
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    me too maybe we both need to just cut 100 calories a day and see if that helps the scale move.
  • katietaz
    katietaz Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks guys :) never thought of retained water!!! Quite possibly as due to the heat I've been drinking loads more than usual. I must measure myself - I didn't cos I was a bit downhearted after gaining back the weight - silly really!!
    I've also amended the "my goals" page and lowered my daily calorie intake so hopefully it'll be a brighter picture next week!!
    Thanks again for you replies and support :)
  • silico
    silico Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Just how far under your goal is your net average? Because this may be relevant to you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/238282-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing-redux?hl=700+calories

sorry if not...
  • ZoeCHill
    ZoeCHill Posts: 3
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, if you are loosing weight and putting on muscle the scales will be all over the place PERSEVERE
  • katietaz
    Options
    Thanks Silico but I'm only under by about 100 or so a day - my goal was 1340, but I've bought it down to 1200 in the hope it'll get me back losing again. However, that article is very interesting and makes you realise that you should eat sensibly.

I'm so glad I've posted today cos when the scales go up I have in the past had a tendency to just give up. Not this time :)

K x
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, if you are loosing weight and putting on muscle the scales will be all over the place PERSEVERE

Muscle and fat weigh the same... a pound of feathers weighs the same pound that a pound of rocks do, right?! Muscle is more dense/compact than fat, so it takes up less space... Also, it's not uncommon for people to be +/- a few pounds different days of the week.

I think you should consider calculating your TDEE, and BMR, and getting yourself to a higher calorie intake, where... you know... you'll be happy at. It's not about a DIET. It's about making realistic changes that you can continue for the long term. 1200 calories a days is ridiculous. Unless you're only 5' tall!

Also -- LIFT WEIGHTS. No point in being skinny fat!

Just my two cents.
    /endrant.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

You cant really build muscle in a calorie deficit, especially if you havent been lifting to do so. When people say 'youre just gaining muscle' it is BS. Sorry.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I was holding water for about four weeks and then suddenly I weighed myself and boom I had lost three pounds. Now I only weigh myself every other week so I am not concentrating on the scale so much and just know that I am tracking my eating and exercise correctly and within my goals.

Also, try measuring yourself, you may be losing inches even if you are not losing weight. Especially if you are doing weight training. Muscle and fat weigh the same - a pound is a pound, but muscle is denser so it looks smaller.
  • christie5683
    Options
    jacqueling, you are right. If you are wondering about lack of weight loss with exercise the measurements will show a difference since muscle does weigh more than fat. Keep on keeping on....you can do it!
  • katietaz
    Options
    " 1200 calories a days is ridiculous. Unless you're only 5' tall!"

I'm 5'3"!!! 1200 was what the site recommended when I changed my goal to losing 2lbs a week
  • katietaz
    Options
    I was holding water for about four weeks and then suddenly I weighed myself and boom I had lost three pounds. Now I only weigh myself every other week so I am not concentrating on the scale so much and just know that I am tracking my eating and exercise correctly and within my goals.

That sounds sensible - maybe I'll do this instead of every Friday morning :)
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It could be water weight especially if it's around your TOM.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    jacqueling, you are right. If you are wondering about lack of weight loss with exercise the measurements will show a difference since muscle does weigh more than fat. Keep on keeping on....you can do it!

No it DOESNT!!!!!

A lb of muscle and a pound of fat weight the same, a POUND. The same as a lb of feathers and rocks. Only muscle takes up less space in the body. And training with HEAVY weights can cause tears in muscle and water retention which may show as water weight. But muscle DOES NOT WEIGH MORE THAN FAT!
  • kaydensmom12
    kaydensmom12 Posts: 338
    Options
    Measure your self. I weigh myself but don't care about it, because I always lose weight and then gain it + more back, and lose inches. I would rather lose inches than lose weight on the scale:)
  • christie5683
    Options
    How did you get your ticker on your posts? Mine is on my profile but not my posts. Any clue?
  • jenec803
    jenec803 Posts: 5
    Options
    I saw a sign on a church on the way home from the gym that said "You aren't failing if you keep trying". My new favorite motto. I'm two months into MFP and have decided that instead of "weight loss" I'm going for "health gain". The weight I lose as a result of eating better and excercising will be a bonus.

In response to your weight gain, check your sodium intake. You may be retaining water because of that as well. When I know I've blown it on sodium I increase the amount of water I drink to flush it out. (I don't have any scientific evidence to back that up but seems to work for me.) A nurse told me to drink half my body weight in ounces. Took a while to get in that habit and I'll tell ya with all that water I don't have much room left for any other liquids.