Spinning

Options
So, I'm new to MFP, but not new to fitness or nutrition. I regularly run 4-6 miles and lift 2 times a week. I am not a cyclist, however. I took my first spin class this morning and man it kicked my butt. The instructor kept saying my watts should be between 150 and 200. Ha! I got no where near that and my legs are still tired over two hours later. Clearly, I need to attend these classes more often!

Veteran spinners, how long does it take before you didn't feel like you were going to die half way through the class?

Replies

• pacarolinagirl
    Options
    It took me about 4 classes for my vajayjay not to be sore. LOL! After about a month I was kicking butt. Even if I step away from it for a few months, I can usually pick it right back up. I love spinning. I hate that our Y afternoon class is cancelled during the Summer. And for the life of me I can never make that 6am class. Sigh. Hang in there, it gets easier & it can be one heck of a workout if you put your all into it.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've been doing spin for a little over a year, I was doing it 4x a week for a while, and it took me a few classes before I lost the vomit feeling, then my instructor decided to do speed intervals, then it came back. It'll get easier (you'll notice over the next few days the part of your bottom that sits on the seat is EXTREMELY sore...like its bruised) and I think it varies by person, try maybe lowering your resistance next time, however, I do really believe spin is addicting if you can make it through I would say your first 3 classes
  • dbriggs9
    dbriggs9 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It takes about 4 to 6 classes for most people to get comfortable on the bike :-) But, it is such a great workout and totally worth sticking with it. If you have a good instructor... you will become hooked!
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    i'd say after about three classes, im going tomorrow morning and not been for a while but i never slack off if i dont go for a while, its the best for calorie burning, especially if the instructor gets u to do press up etc. brilliant...if your new i would go for 45 mins class then an hour... good luck...its addictive :-)
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Took me a couple weeks, but I am a wimp !! The up / downs kill me. I was always 3 ups behind. In the beginning I would just say I am riding thru Nebraska. No hills in Nebraska. So I would just sprint. Haha

I am able to keep up much better now. Since you are a runner I bet you'll be fine after a couple classes.

Love that SPIN class and the calorie burn !!
  • soph501
    soph501 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'd say between 4 and 6 classes will get you used to it :) Although it's a bit uncomfortable at first; it's great exercise and surprisingly addictive, I find myself going 3-4 times a week without fail.
  • FriendsR4EverTreasures
    Options
    I'm a spin instructor and have been for 9 years, 5:30am in the morning, and I love it! I always encourage my students to stick with it a minimum of 4 classes before they decide if they will continue and also that it takes about that long and up to 8 weeks to find your comfort zone on the seat :) The calories you burn is not to shabby either :)
  • tansygreen
    tansygreen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't know about veteran, but I love spinning!

But, I have lived in loads of different places and to be honest the classes really vary a lot according to who your instructor is. I think as you're already fit, and you will just be getting used to the whole routine, it shouldn't take more than 5-6 classes before you're kicking it's butt. Then the thing is you can just up your resistance to suit you.

Also, if there are different instructors who do spin classes at your gym, try them all and see how different their classes are.

I guess it's the hills that are hard if you are used to running, a 5 mile running route isn't likely to involve sprinting up loads of steep hills. Spin does exactly that! Good luck :)
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I love Spinning and teach a beginner class at our YMCA. You will be surprised at how much better you feel even after a few classes. Remember.. take it at your own pace. You don't have to keep up with those that have been doing it for longer. Your instructor gave you a goal-- but you don't have to do that your first few classes. Also, while it sounds like you are very fit-- Spinning is a different excercise. Just like runners cannot go in and start swimming 3 miles a day. Different excercise , different breathing, different muscles.

Oh.. and your Butt will be sore the first 2-3 classes. No getting around it. Don't go buying any extra equip/clothing to try and get away from it. it wont' help ;) But, the soreness will go away-- never to return :)

Enjoy!!
  • moorejoshua
    Options
    I have been taking a spin class every week for about a year now and I have to admit, I still feel the "burn" every time, The instructor changes up the class every few weeks to make sure we don't get use to it. But that is the benifit of taking a spin class, and the results are i have lost over 50 pounds and my legs are in killer shape. :smile:
  • Papayamaya5
    Papayamaya5 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It takes a few classes to get accustomed to it but it's an INCREDIBLE workout! I spin 5-6x per week for 45-60 minutes each time (no classes, I've learned to push myself as hard as a spin instructor would) and it has toned my legs and thighs beyond belief! good luck!
  • tnjackso1
    tnjackso1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    It took me about two weeks to actually get it....I'm addicted now and Love it....I look forward to the 5:30am classes and my instructors are awesome!!! Our classes are 60min. and sometimes one instructor stops after 45min and teaches a 15min ab class lol.. My endurace has increased and omg I've gotten stronger. Stick with it and watch your body transform!!
  • kristin1493
    kristin1493 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Okay, another question then, I only really have time for one spin class a week. Is it worth it to continue if I'm not going to 2x-3x per week?

I was thinking of dropping one of my runs for spin, but the only time I can make spin is 6am, which throws off our family's schedule too much if I go more than once a week. I usually run at 5am (I have two kids to get up and ready for the day and a husband that also works out in the morning so juggling schedules is tough).
  • kristin1493
    kristin1493 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump