calorie deficeit / female weight training

Options
I am almost complete with my 5th wk of strength training (with cardio & some ab specific workouts inter laced) and i am loving the results. I haven't stepped on a scale - but i don't really care what it says - and the inches are coming off everywhere except my booty - which is looking good so it's got to b muscle... but my question is:

i am at a 1200 calorie deficeit in addition to my workout schedule; i hardly ever eat my burned caloires & i maintain (mostly) a 25/25/50 ratio; do i need to still be on a calorie deficeit to continue my results? (my abs are trimming up nicely, but i still have a small pooch when relaxed) or should i eat a normal calorie - wise diet so i can gain muscle mass at this point? - my fear is not that i'll gain weight but rather that, start adding muscle, but never get rid of that thin layer of fat over my muscles...

i don't feel weak or like my body needs it & i do sometimes go over my goal (maintaining good ratios) - i'm doing this as life style change so i don't want to have diet mindset & allow myself some leway within my diet but i want to make sure i'm not holding productivity up by continuing the calorie deficeit - i see many girls who are looking great, that are eating like 1500-2000 calories... you girls are who i am speaking to - did you wait to up your calories until you reached your body fat goal, or not?

Replies

• karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    bump....
  • CelestinoZ
    CelestinoZ Posts: 15
    Options
    To continue losing fat you will need a caloric deficit, but it is very good that you are doing weight training, this will help you keep the muscle you currently have. However it is hard for anybody, especially women to gain additional muscle on a caloric defecit because of the decrease testosterone women have. Weight training will make you stronger though. I've been on a caloric deficit for 7 weeks now, but I can bench press, squat and deadlift more than I did several weeks ago. As long as you're on a caloric deficit and you incorporate cardio into your weight training you should be able to rid get of that thin layer of fat over the muscles.
  • HeiressRoxy
    Options
    Most women tend to have the bump, if you have had children or c-sections, or hernia removals. I would continue working on your core, and research foods that can cause the stomach bump you may need to stay away from.

I have had all of the above; and no matter what I do I will never get rid of my bump. I dislike it and finally saw a surgeon. I hope to get the bump taken care of this year 2012. I work on my core and weights.

Hope this helps.
  • karrielynn80
    Options
    thanks ladies, i have had it since high school. but it's reduced dramatically since i started my weight training + cardio & 2 days of ab ripper x. I think i'll keep the calorie deficeit until i hit my 8 wk mark & see how i'm doing there, if i haven't see more dramatic changes (seen meaning in my measurments) i'll just go back to a normal calorie, lean diet & see if the muscle builds & stretches it out...

y'all rock!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Set your goal to lose 0.5lbs/week, eat back exercise calories, hit your protein target and lift heavy weights (5-10 reps range/set where the last rep or 2 is difficult to complete with good form) preferably compound lifts.

If you don't eat enough you risk losing a large % of the lean muscle you already have. the less you have to lose the more important it is to have a smaller deficit.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    For the summer I've been maintaining, at about 117lbs. My calories are set at 1430 and I eat all my excercise calories back. I wanted to see if a could add muscle and I wasn't going to do that at a deficit. I still have some fat to lose around my abs but I didn't want to lose any more muscle. With my exercise calories I eat about 2000 calories a day.

So yes, I think that you need to up your calories for a while and see if you can build......
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others...lift as heavy as you can for 6-8 reps and eat more...1200 is for the birds. Even when I'm cutting I eat 1500+ calories without exercise, and I still drop a few pounds, and I'm already small. I hate that number!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i'd say, if it ain't broke - don't fix it. i couldn't, personally, survive on that few calories but if you're getting good results and feel like you have enough energy for your training i'd stick with it until you are unhappy with your results, then make a change.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I am eating 2000-2200 while strength training, keeping cardio to a minimum and not eating back cardio calories when I do it. My TDEE is around 1800. No, I am not at the BF% that I want yet, but I am in the weight range that I consider acceptable. I decided to stop losing fat for a while and try to build muscle instead. I am going to continue to do this for 2 months total (stage 1 in the NROL4W program). After that, I will evaluate where I am at and if I want to "cut" more fat out.
  • karrielynn80
    Options
    hmmm... now i have more to think about. I think i'll start at least eating back my workout calories (considering i only log my cardio calories, not my strength training ones; it'd be hard to get an accurate calorie count of my strength training w/out one of the meters, and i am such a ocd person, i'm afraid if i get one of those, i'll start logging "cleaning house" and what not lol)...

i've got 3 more wks of this part of my program (12 wk split going from 8-12 reps > 6-8 reps > 4-6 reps) so i'll just adj that for now & see how it goes. thanks for all the imput. I'll let everyone know how i'm tracking at the end of my 5-8 wk stent.

what do you guys / gals use to measure your body fat btw?, i want to get an accurate reading and the handheld one at my gym seems to be "for the birds" if you ask me...
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Based on your pic and what you have said you don't have much more fat to lose, so it probably doesn't matter too much what you do until it is gone since that should only be another couple few weeks. In general though you would want to watch how fast you are losing, especially the lower bf% you get to, and 1200 would be pretty low for longer term. Once the fat is gone as a woman you would eat around 200 over maintenance if you want to grow more muscle. A ton of useful info can be found here http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146519303
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    For the summer I've been maintaining, at about 117lbs. My calories are set at 1430 and I eat all my excercise calories back. I wanted to see if a could add muscle and I wasn't going to do that at a deficit. I still have some fat to lose around my abs but I didn't want to lose any more muscle. With my exercise calories I eat about 2000 calories a day.

So yes, I think that you need to up your calories for a while and see if you can build......

Pretty much this--I'm 5'6" 116 lbs and have it set to 1550/day plus eat all my cals back. I usually do a 40/30/30 c/f/p ratio.
  • RunningSphynx
    Options
    Forgive me for being naive, but if you work out 2x a day and don't eat back your deficit how do you manage to maintain energy in everyday life? Is your BMR cals at 1200 and you eat that but just don't eat back the deficit from your workouts?

I am asking cause mine is at 1200 cals but I do eat back my deficit and am wondering if this is reason for my lack of scale movement. I usually do an hour of cardio and then free weights for 30mins - all in one session though. Not to hijack this thread. You look amazing.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Someone please explain to me why my thighs are getting bigger and hips wider as a consequence...I'm lifting heavy, doing short HIIT and eating at TDEE-15%?
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options
    Someone please explain to me why my thighs are getting bigger and hips wider as a consequence...I'm lifting heavy, doing short HIIT and eating at TDEE-15%?

I would say either you calculated TDEE wrong and are eating over maintenance, or you are just experiencing water retention in your leg muscles (the "swell" from lifting, my arms look huge right after lifting but go back to normal in a few hours).
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    I've calculate my TDEE time and time again. I weigh everything and log very accurately...to the single gram. My maintenance is 2076, I'm def not eating this.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options
    I've calculate my TDEE time and time again. I weigh everything and log very accurately...to the single gram. My maintenance is 2076, I'm def not eating this.

If you are short, that seems a bit high. My TDEE calculated on here is 1800, but by NROL4W's method it is 2000. I am 5'5"/135#. Where did you calculate the number?
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    I've been on fitness frog.

If you want to work it out please do so as I could be wrong, I'm 4ft 11, 56.9kg, exercise 5 times per week, 28 years old

Is it because I'm older?
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add my experience to good information you're getting here.

I started heavy lifting in April 2011. I saw great results with body recomposition and kept bopping along doing some combination of heavy weights, some cardio, and deficits eating from 1500-2000 for probably almost a year with 40/30/30 c/f/p macros. I bounced around a lot depending on how on target I was with these goals. I dropped body fat and looked better this April than last but still wasn't at my body fat goal and getting frustrated.

I realized I had been essentially eating at deficit for too long and took 2 weeks and ate at maintenance. After, late June, I started a an aggressive cut following a most of a recommended program from Leigh Peele (http://www.leighpeele.com/). This was a change. The deficits are much more dramatic, the macros vary according to which part of the cut you are in and there much more cardio work. I am always at a deficit of at leat 30% of TDEE and as high as 40%. I don't log exercise calories since they're already included in TDEE. I am working on being diet adherent all the time except for 1 meal/evening per week.

After 4 weeks I have lost 8 inches overall and 6.5 lbs (some of it water from having been eating more for 2 weeks before the cut). Body fat is harder to determine but I think that's trending downwards. I am in my 5th week with 7 weeks left (12 total)

I tell you all this because while I think slow and steady works for some it wasn't getting me where I wanted to go. I am cutting aggressively now and after I will reassess, eat at maintenance for a while and if I want to I will go back to cutting, though, according to the numbers this should put me where I want to be.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options
    I've been on fitness frog.

If you want to work it out please do so as I could be wrong, I'm 4ft 11, 56.9kg, exercise 5 times per week, 28 years old

Is it because I'm older?

I get the same number you did. But if you include your exercise in the TDEE, you aren't supposed to eat back exercise calories, without considering exercising the number is 1750ish. Also, TDEE calculators are just estimates so it is possible that your metabolism is slower than average. Are you gaining weight or just inches?

PS I am definitely no expert on any of this :laugh: